Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was mugged while walking on the sidewalk Friday night! I'm so upset...my Pre had been in perfect condition (no glitches, defects). I have, of course, contacted Sprint and had them suspend the line. I wish they could track my phone! You know, when people go missing they track cell phone pings? Too bad I couldn't have my phone pinged like that! I also "remotely wiped" my Pre from the Palm Profile site. It prompted me if I wanted to backup my data before wiping, I selected 'yes'. Can someone tell me what exactly was backed up and to where?

It really sucks that contacts aren't backed up by the Palm Profile (or so I've read). Can anyone verify this as true or not? When I had the Instinct, it would sync my contacts to Sprint.com so that I always had them...since I've upgraded to the Pre, I notice this is gone.

Anyway, at least I have insurance. A hundred dollars and a knot on my head is a lot better than $550 with a knot on my head. I faxed the affidavit on Monday and called Asurion today to finalize my claim. They say I should recieve my new phone in 5 business days (next Wednesday). Now let's just hope that Sprint spares me the activation fee. Gawd!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    That sucks. I'm sorry. As long as you're alright, that's what matters...

As far as tracking it, they can. The only way they will spend time doing that is if more of these muggings happen in the same area.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Dang that sux sorry to hear that just be glad your ok
    That sucks, sorry man! Why didnt you add sprint tracker ASAP to track them down?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Personal data like memos, apps, and stuff of that nature is not backed up. Your contacts should be backed up. The info was saved to your palm profile, so when you get your new device just put your profile info in and restore it.

Check out post #10:
    What data is backed up? - Palm Pre Forums
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwashere View Post
    That sucks, sorry man! Why didnt you add sprint tracker ASAP to track them down?
    I was thinking about it, I asked a customer service rep if there was a way they could track my phone, and she said "no". She then suggested I suspend the line immediately, so I did.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Sorry to hear that! Hope you or anyone that was with you are okay....

I hope your Pre's battery explodes in the dude's pocket!

Where's iPod battery when you need it?
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
    Well, The phone is pretty much useless to anyone that gets it.

Sprint "Blacklists" the ESN when a phone is reported stolen so it cant be frauded.
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sYnOnYx View Post
    Well, The phone is pretty much useless to anyone that gets it.

Sprint "Blacklists" the ESN when a phone is reported stolen so it cant be frauded.
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Ugh! The jerk will probably sell it to someone else before an activation is attempted, though.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Man, that sucks. At times like this its too bad the Pre doesn't explode like the iPhone.
    your contacts are backed up to your profile. ive wiped my phone completely and recovered them, as well as exchanged the device once. both times all my contacts came back. the only inconvenience is that you have to link all the contacts again that were linked previously.
    That sucks man! I hope everything is okay?
    Mugged in Eugene.... where? I'm in Eugene .. didn't think things like that happened here.. although I'm in the upper West side.. heh
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    memos are backup up as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I was mugged while walking on the sidewalk Friday night!
    Next time, carry a Glock with your Pre.
    That's really unfortunate but the main thing is that you are okay. The other stuff can be replaced - you can't be. Bad stuff eventually comes to bad people.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Matching shoulder holster! Pre on the right, glock on the left. Now THAT's an accessory
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    +1 this is why I believe in concealed carry!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    +1 this is why I believe in concealed carry!
    +2 Some people aren't nice unless they're made to be.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I was thinking about it, I asked a customer service rep if there was a way they could track my phone, and she said "no". She then suggested I suspend the line immediately, so I did.
    For tracking a missing person\suicidal person, the cell phone company has to be faxed a written request on department letterhead, and we often have to ping the phone multiple times to get an accurate location, or if the person is mobile. Sprint is definitely the easiest wireless company we deal with for tracking, though.

Even if Sprint had the policy of pinging stolen phones, it wouldn't do much good. It would have to be communicated to law enforcement, most of whom have more important things to do than chase down a cell phone. Assuming the phone is turned on when it's pinged, too.

Sorry about the mugging - glad you're ok though.

Nick (911 Dispatcher)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast