Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Next time, carry a Glock with your Pre.

Pfft. Glock nothing. The Glock is the iPhone of the handgun world. All flash and no stopping power.

You want a good concealed-carry weapon? Try a S&W model 60. .357 loads will stop ANY mugger in his tracks. Also useful for charging bears!
    Sounds like we need an app for this.

I wouldn't want the GPS tracking to be on all the time. It would be nice to enable it somehow with a SMS message code. This would turn it on then report the location back through e-mail or something.

Sounds easy enough.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Sounds like we need an app for this.

I wouldn't want the GPS tracking to be on all the time. It would be nice to enable it somehow with a SMS message code. This would turn it on then report the location back through e-mail or something.

Sounds easy enough.
    That's how the instructions were originally set up. I opted for 20 minutes more as an exercise in using the CROND daemon. However, the instructions linked early show how to do it by sending a coded SMS to the phone.
    Wow thats awful. Just out of curiosity, what was the ethnic background of this mugger? I find it hard to contemplate that people get mugged in places like oregon. I mean I know it could happen anywhere, but geez. I have been around a lot of cities in a lot of seedy neighborhoods and nobody has ever messed with me while walking. One time I got attacked by 2 kids for talking smack on a bus, and another time I was harassed by a police officer who finally left me alone after I paid him.
    CHeck Craigslist for the various Oregon cities. He may try dumping it and that is the quickest way for him to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I was mugged while walking on the sidewalk Friday night! I'm so upset...my Pre had been in perfect condition (no glitches, defects). I have, of course, contacted Sprint and had them suspend the line. I wish they could track my phone! You know, when people go missing they track cell phone pings? Too bad I couldn't have my phone pinged like that! I also "remotely wiped" my Pre from the Palm Profile site. It prompted me if I wanted to backup my data before wiping, I selected 'yes'. Can someone tell me what exactly was backed up and to where?

It really sucks that contacts aren't backed up by the Palm Profile (or so I've read). Can anyone verify this as true or not? When I had the Instinct, it would sync my contacts to Sprint.com so that I always had them...since I've upgraded to the Pre, I notice this is gone.

Anyway, at least I have insurance. A hundred dollars and a knot on my head is a lot better than $550 with a knot on my head. I faxed the affidavit on Monday and called Asurion today to finalize my claim. They say I should recieve my new phone in 5 business days (next Wednesday). Now let's just hope that Sprint spares me the activation fee. Gawd!
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishounen View Post
    Pfft. Glock nothing. The Glock is the iPhone of the handgun world. All flash and no stopping power.

You want a good concealed-carry weapon? Try a S&W model 60. .357 loads will stop ANY mugger in his tracks. Also useful for charging bears!
    Guess you never heard of a .357 Glock? There are different calibers and sizes available.

Accurate, they take a beating and go BANG every time.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Guess you never heard of a .357 Glock? There are different calibers and sizes available.

Accurate, they take a beating and go BANG every time.
    Beat me to it. Or .45 ACP, or .45 GAP, or .40S&W, or 10mm...
    H&K USP .45 ACP FTW.

/end of gun talk.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Kimber .45 on you the other night = typing on pre right now
    You can't shoot somebody with out cause to believe you or somebody else is in danger of serious bodily harm. You also should NEVER show a weapon you don't intend to use.

In this case a gun wouldn't have helped him. And I find it disturbing that so many people here advocate gun violence over a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    You can't shoot somebody with out cause to believe you or somebody else is in danger of serious bodily harm. You also should NEVER show a weapon you don't intend to use.

In this case a gun wouldn't have helped him. And I find it disturbing that so many people here advocate gun violence over a phone.
    I agree with you (the Benhard Goetz affect, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz) but given the amount of people on this forum, very few have responded in a manner advocating shooting someone (not that I'm saying that is a solution).

The last thing you want is to pull a gun to scare someone off then have it used against you. The OP never indicated that he was robbed at gun point. Assuming the thieves didn't have a gun, it would suck to be overpowered and shot with your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I was mugged while walking on the sidewalk Friday night! I'm so upset...my Pre had been in perfect condition (no glitches, defects). I have, of course, contacted Sprint and had them suspend the line. I wish they could track my phone! You know, when people go missing they track cell phone pings? Too bad I couldn't have my phone pinged like that! I also "remotely wiped" my Pre from the Palm Profile site. It prompted me if I wanted to backup my data before wiping, I selected 'yes'. Can someone tell me what exactly was backed up and to where?

It really sucks that contacts aren't backed up by the Palm Profile (or so I've read). Can anyone verify this as true or not? When I had the Instinct, it would sync my contacts to Sprint.com so that I always had them...since I've upgraded to the Pre, I notice this is gone.

Anyway, at least I have insurance. A hundred dollars and a knot on my head is a lot better than $550 with a knot on my head. I faxed the affidavit on Monday and called Asurion today to finalize my claim. They say I should recieve my new phone in 5 business days (next Wednesday). Now let's just hope that Sprint spares me the activation fee. Gawd!
    Posting without reading ahead.....Thankful that you weren't hurt, phones are replaceable....
    On the day that the Pre came out, my son and I were number 2 and 3 on the line.....the last thing I said to the salesman was, "Is the insurance on the phone?" He said "yes" (my son and I have our own plans)
    Three weeks later, my son called me (I was on a cruiseship)...his phone was stolen...he called Sprint to turn it off and get a new phone via insurance...THERE WAS NO INSURANCE....after speaking to several supervisors, the most they would do was replace his previous cell, the Instinct...he said no...
    The next day he went back to the Sprint store where he spoke with the salesman (my son had the receipt)....the salesman apologized for the error. My son recontacted Sprint, spoke with several supervisors but they would not replace the Pre. He was told that since it was Day 29 since he owned his Pre, he could get out of his contract without an ETF by that day....so instead of replacing his Pre for $100, they rather lose a customer....(I couldn't help him because I was on vacation)
    He took the money about bought the older IPhone....and he just got a card from the rebate center...since he cancelled his contract, he loses the rebate....
    I wrote this on another board....several people checked their plans and discovered their insurance was not transfered....
    I don't understand Sprint....if someone has an email/phone number....I want The Powers That Be to know what a foolish mistake they had made....
    You must live in a fantasy world where muggers are polite and would never think of hurting their victims. The OP is very lucky he wasn't killed over his phone, people have been killed for less....but canlt post about it afterwards.

So, were you the mugger? How do you know what would or would not have helped him? This has nothing to do with a phone. If you choose to be a victim that is your right but don't knock those that choose to defend themselves.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Did you read the part about the knot on the OP's head? Obviously the OP was attacked. We're not advocating that the OP pull out his firearm and shoot the mugger in the head - unless his/her life was in jeopardy. But the good thing about using your 2nd amendment rights, is that oftentimes, the sight of a weapon to a mugger will make them leave in a hurry. Also how many times have you heard of a criminal saying "do what I say and I won't hurt you..."and then kill the victim immediately afterwards?

I'll amend one of your statements a little. You should NEVER show a weapon you aren't prepared to use. A mugging is the exact type of situation that CCW is for - to protect you and your family from dangerous criminals. With more situational awareness and/or a Bersa Thunder .40 or Ultra Compact .45 The OP may have been spared from this criminal offense.

Either way, I'm just glad the OP is ok. Just keep in mind, firearm protection and "gun violence" are two very different things.

Depends on the state, in TX, you can shoot to protect your property.

I don't find it disturbing at all. Obviously, the person in this case was willing to harm him to get a phone.
  16.    #76  
    FedEx came to deliver my phone while I'm at work! I can go pick it up after 5:30 today! Asurion said that because the Pre is such a new phone, they didn't have any refurbished devices, and that she would need to order a new one for me. I thought that was good!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Hope they catch the scumbags, sorry about what happened. At least you weren't seriously injured.
    P.S. I'm a novice musician, please check out my work if you get a chance, thanks much.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2ndDayRiffs
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Get a CCW.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Did you try going on the sprint website? If you register for a free account your able to use family locator for 14 days free of charge. I'd recently lost my Instinct in a store and I signed up for the free trial. The accuracy of the locator was pretty good. It gives nearly exact locations.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234