Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there anyone else who is frustrated about surfing the net on the pre. I am tired of every page loading in normal view instead of mobile view. I like the browser on my sprint mogul. Anyone know how to set the browser up like the mogul
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Don't know about the Mogul, but don't like the idea of sites forcing their mobile format when the Pre can display most full version sites beautifully. That's just my preference, though. You could always e-mail the webmasters of sites you regularly visit and ask them to add the Pre to their user agent redirect.
    put m in front of urls.

m.espn.com
    m.facebook.com

if you want mobile sites.

(that rules doesn't work for ALL site...but alot of them).
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Pretty happy with the browser.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    Don't know about the Mogul, but don't like the idea of sites forcing their mobile format when the Pre can display most full version sites beautifully. That's just my preference, though. You could always e-mail the webmasters of sites you regularly visit and ask them to add the Pre to their user agent redirect.
    +1
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    It depends on the webmaster of the site you visit. Example Lifehacker and Gizmodo go to mobile sites, whereas Engadget takes you their full site.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dongatta View Post
    Is there anyone else who is frustrated about surfing the net on the pre. I am tired of every page loading in normal view instead of mobile view. I like the browser on my sprint mogul. Anyone know how to set the browser up like the mogul
    One of the main reasons I moved away from the Instinct so quickly was because I hated the way the web looked on the phone. I like going to a known website and not having to worry about a learning curve because it's exactly how it is on my desktop. I absolutely love the browser on the Pre. The only site I seem to have a problem with is Digg. It seems to crash my browser every time when I go to the normal site. The mobile site works fine (but limits a lot of the content).
    Mobile view=fail view, IMO.
  9.    #9  
    It's ok but i don't like the fact of every page that loads you have to finger swipe to zoom the page in and move it around.The mogul loaded the whole page and was visible without zooming
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    It works ok for me. Much better then my previous phone. So perhaps I just don't know what I am missing.
    I prefer the straight up web on the pre...
    I agree... it was annoying always showing up in full mode... too much pinching and zooming in and out. While Blazer on my Treo 650 is not nearly as snazzy, at least I have an option to view in "Optimized mode" or "Widescreen mode". I missed at least having the OPTION on the Pre.
    Depends on the site. For example, I think the mobile version of these forums rocks...and surfing the same forums in the standard presentation format on my Pre is painful. On the other hand, there are mobile sites that I hate...and for which I vastly prefer to hit their normal site. It often comes down to how "columnar" the standard site is I suppose. Wide sites are painful...and make me miss Blazer's capability to reformat a page on the fly. Yes, the Treo browser was actually good for something.

Thus, I prefer to have the option to go to either version...and I normally bookmark the one that I like.

Of course, either way, it's not the Pre's issue. It's up to site developers to detect the user agent string and decide what to do. Good sites have a mobile version and allow you to choose. It's nice when they follow the "m." prefix convention...and it's even better when they have a link on both versions of the site allowing you to switch back and forth.

That said, most sites aren't this helpful...and even the mobile version of these forums lacks:

1) a link back to the forum's "classic" view
    2) a link back to precentral.net (either mobile or standard)

Yes, we have a ways to go...but the fact that I can surf effectively to any degree on my phone is still a very cool thing. Yes, I am old.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    It's ok but i don't like the fact of every page that loads you have to finger swipe to zoom the page in and move it around.The mogul loaded the whole page and was visible without zooming
    Yeah, sometimes full pages can be a pain (depends on design like another poster stated), but imo the double-tap to zoom to content width makes viewing most sites easy enough. The pinch gestures I usually reserve for veiwing pictures as it is rather cumbersome when it comes to text content.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I like the browser
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Well said, scuba_steve.
    Why would anyone want to only be able to view mobile web pages?
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    I agree... it was annoying always showing up in full mode... too much pinching and zooming in and out. While Blazer on my Treo 650 is not nearly as snazzy, at least I have an option to view in "Optimized mode" or "Widescreen mode". I missed at least having the OPTION on the Pre.
    I tried the Pre in the store the other day and did not like the browser because it shrank the entire page width into unreadability, and I had to zoom and pan just to read text. I found this old thread while searching to determine whether the browser has "Optimized Mode" like on the Centro & 650. Has this been added since the original thread, or does another browser offer it?

If not, this is yet another step back in usability from PalmOS to WebOS.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I'd prefer the mobile version of sites if they weren't some hacked up crap version of their sites. Less info, and more clicks to get where you want to go does not make a website more helpful.

For instance m.engadget.com and m.gizmodo.com only show a single line of text without any pictures for their articles (and horribly formatted for the Pre no less). They should be showing the same information per article as their real website...just formatted better. Pictures, paragraph long description, and a link to the full story.

This is a day of high bandwidth browsers. The websites they put out there look like they are designed for 1x mobile internet. blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Mobile view=fail view, IMO.
    +1 Full site is always better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast