1.    #1  
    Ok, so I've had my Pre for about three weeks and I like it alot. I've never had a smart phone before so I'm kinda blown away. That being said there are some things I don't like about it. Mine gets hot when charging and sometimes when in use, there is "twisting", and there really aren't many apps for it.

I've heard that there is a 30 day "trial" for the Pre. I bought my Pre from RadioShack, so I guess my question is can I return it within 30 days and pretend like I never bought it to begin with? I would like to rebuy this phone in the future when they work out some of the kinks, but I don't want to lose my upgrade eligibility for nothing.

If anyone could help out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    yes.. take it back. Its pretty much a 30 day free trial.
  3.    #3  
    Do you think there will be any update to the Pre (hardware wise) any time in the next year?
    Quote Originally Posted by theytookourjobz View Post
    Ok, so I've had my Pre for about three weeks and I like it alot. I've never had a smart phone before so I'm kinda blown away. That being said there are some things I don't like about it. Mine gets hot when charging and sometimes when in use, there is "twisting", and there really aren't many apps for it.

I've heard that there is a 30 day "trial" for the Pre. I bought my Pre from RadioShack, so I guess my question is can I return it within 30 days and pretend like I never bought it to begin with? I would like to rebuy this phone in the future when they work out some of the kinks, but I don't want to lose my upgrade eligibility for nothing.

If anyone could help out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Welcome to the world of 'bleeding edge' electronics....

All of these powerful high-end phones get warm to some extent when recharging....the Pre is one of the lesser warm devices IMO. There is nothing to worry about unless you plan on leaving your Pre sitting atop a stick of butter or Snicker's bar while charging.

For apps, they are coming. Think of it this way, I'm certain that the Pre has more apps upon device launch than any other smartphone's app store to date (someone, fact check me). Plus there are close to 100 apps in the homebrew section. These are 'real' apps, not just simple flashlight/fart programs. I can see most of these being absorbed into the App Catalog at some point.

IMO, there is no fix for the "twisting". There are tweaks but you're at risk to causing permanent damage to the device. The way it's been design, you probably want some of that "give" anyhow. It doesn't affect the device's performance. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the twisting does result in something breaking (very rare, but possible I guess), it would be covered by the mfgr's one-year warranty.

There is a 30-day return but you will have to pay for usage during that period. You won't have to pay an EFT if this was a new account and you are also quitting Sprint.
    Do you think there will be any update to the Pre (hardware wise) any time in the next year?
    No...but there will be improvements to what's inside now. The device isn't close to full potential. It's been scaled-back somewhat as the focus have been to tweak the webOS platform as a whole.

If you are referring to build quality, it's possible that Palm could be working with the assembly builder to make improvements. I would doubt that this is where Palm is spending their resources. There are more important things with the platform that need focus now.
    I love this phone... i came from the Instinct and had the Trep 700 wx before that...

This is the best phone out there IMO. Im not an app person, if I was, then i would probably go to the iPhone.

The 'twist' has been blown up by the internet. Its not like the phone is flimsy, you have to actually twist it for it to move...

What it boils down to is your comfort level, if you are happy with it Keep it. If you are doubting it then take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphemz View Post
    I love this phone... i came from the Instinct and had the Trep 700 wx before that...

This is the best phone out there IMO. Im not an app person, if I was, then i would probably go to the iPhone.

The 'twist' has been blown up by the internet. Its not like the phone is flimsy, you have to actually twist it for it to move...

What it boils down to is your comfort level, if you are happy with it Keep it. If you are doubting it then take it back.
    Well said, amen brother...

I can't tell you how many phones I've had in the past few years. I like the iPhone (actually, I have an iPod Touch, same thing to me platform-wise). But as a whole, the Palm Pre is the best smartphone I've owned to date....period.
  8.    #8  
    I'm just wary. The older I get the longer 2 years with an electronic device seems. Any chance if they release Palm Pre 2G like 10 months from now, they would offer a price cut for us early adopters? I would be pretty pissed if a year from now people are walking around with pre2s and laughing at me with my boring old palm pre1.
    As I understand it, once you buy a new Pre, and use your upgrade, you have 30 days to return it, but it does not mean your upgrade is re-instated. You will have to pick another phone. Going back to your old phone just gets you your old phone not your old phone + your upgrade credit.

Maybe a Sprint Employee can confirm>?
    Thank you
    I'm just wary. The older I get the longer 2 years with an electronic device seems. Any chance if they release Palm Pre 2G like 10 months from now, they would offer a price cut for us early adopters? I would be pretty pissed if a year from now people are walking around with pre2s and laughing at me with my boring old palm pre1.
    it goes in circles. If in 1 year a 2G phone comes out, and they laugh at you, in 2 years, a 3g phone will come out and you can laugh at them.... and so on.

It is my experience that these things work out in the end.
    Thank you
    It's the same with the iPhone. If you're worried about that then start saving your $$$ now so you have it when the next phone comes out. Sometimes life sucks. If Palm or Sprint were to offer an upgrade, that's great. But I wouldn't count on it. They are out to make money, not wait until you or I are in the position to be able to get the next phone. If they wait to release an update they risk falling behind and Palm can't afford it.
    Its the same with any phone you get. Look at the iPhone. 1 (generation) , 3g, 3gs in the span of two years ! lol...
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Wait a minute. It's your first smartphone and you have an idea of how many apps are sufficient? I'm not sure if you are focused correctly. If you want to return it, fine. But if you think that there's a better smart phone, think again.

The Pre is a computer. Computers give their power supply a run for the money. I don't know the conditions leading up to getting hot when charging. There are plenty of safeguards in the design to stop charging before it becomes a problem. You MIGHT have a bad battery, but I doubt it. If it's bad, get a new one.

Twisting is relative and it can vary with usage techniques. Again, none of us know the events leading up to your situation.

If this is your first smartphone, how did you determine how many apps are enough? The question should be, what do you want the phone to do for you? There's about a gazillion apps in the works. There are things I want it to do for me which it can't at this time, yet I feel they are just around the corner. In fact, I just one of them yesterday.

The Pre is a phenomenal device. Taking it back and buying something else will not give you smarter or more creative smartphone. If you are looking for something to show your friends and blend in with a given peer group, you might do better with an iPhone.

There's a lot of good reasons to not like a Pre, I just haven't heard you mention one yet.
    Bare in mind that, depending on which Sprint plan you go with, you could be automatically enrolled into the Sprint Premiere program. This would give you certain perks and benefits such as priority in obtaining new devices before they're released for general sale AND 12mo full upgrade eligibility versus 24mo...