Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I'm still waiting to see if Palm's App Catalog will be as friendly to developers bank accounts as WebOS is as easy to write for. Please don't be like this: "There's no app for that" article.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Ya I am hoping Bank of America comes out with an app, as they have for the iPhone and Blackberry...
    They have one out already
    I know this post has to do with Google Voice being removed from iPhone, but the phrase "There's No App for That" would make a great ad campaign for Palm.

Show someone using an iPhone, with the following audio:

"Suppose you're making a call, and you need to check the contents of an email, or look up a phone number? There's no app for that."

Now, in a car: "Suppose you're streaming music on your phone and you want turn by turn directions at the same time. There's no app for that."

"Suppose you get a call while streaming music and getting turn by turn directions, and you'd like to answer it. There's REALLY no app for that."

"What if you want to browse the web with two open browser windows, get your email, check the latest baseball scores, and listen to streaming podcasts?"

"THERE'S NO APP FOR THAT--unless......."

Now show the Pre multitasking away

"you try the new Palm Pre."

"Palm Pre, running WebOS. THE app for how we live our lives."
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    It is the subtleties that make this phone so awesome. More importantly, make it something that has so much potential.

I love the commercial idea above. This phone has only been out for 2 months, and although there are issues with it, it's nothing that won't be fixed and/or updated in the next several months.

Fortunately, smart people on this site decrease the time it'll take to fix all this stuff.

Awesome
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealbigmofotruthat View Post
    They have one out already
    Really?

Is this separate from the mobile banking option they have? Do you actually know of an app they released? Any info?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    I'm still waiting to see if Palm's App Catalog will be as friendly to developers bank accounts as WebOS is as easy to write for. Please don't be like this: "There's no app for that" article.
    I never really understood all the hatred for Apple when I first started perusing this forum, as I've been using an iPod for years and have been impressed. But after trying to use the iPhone and then reading articles like this...wholly cow am I glad I have a Pre! I couldn't imagine spending hundreds of hours on an app that only has one distribution point just have that point cut off without explanation. I mean, that could bankrupt someone. One of the commenters on that article said it best:

"It interesting that microsoft was so vilified for bundling IE with windows. But itís not like they banned apps on windows for duplicating functionality. How on earth Apple manages to maintain any credible reputation among developers is beyond me."

If I were Palm, once the app store and development community are more stable, I would attack Apple on this. I could definitely see a PC vs MAC type commercial.

"Hello, I'm an iPhone"
    "And I'm a Pre"
    Pre: "I am having some gas pains"
    iPhone: "I have an app for that" <farts> "and 50,000 other apps"
    Pre: "Oh" <looks down> "I only have 5,000, But I have this really cool app that lets my phone sound like a piano when I touch the keys" <plays a tune> "do you have an app like that?"
    iPhone: "Apple says I don't need any apps like that"
    Pre: "I see. I also have this app that <something>"
    Pre: "Oh. Surely they let you have an app like <something>"
    iPhone: "Apple says I don't need any apps like that" (and don't call me shirly)
    Pre: "Well, at least you have your " <farts> "other apps"
    iPhone: <farts again><looks stupidly at the screen>
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I never really understood all the hatred for Apple when I first started perusing this forum
    Personally, I don't have anything against Apple for doing business this way. I mean, it'll either work, or it won't. If it does, more power to them.

What drives me crazy is how Apple's gotten a pass on doing business this way. They've been treated by (much of) the technology press like their stuff doesn't stink, like everything they touch turns to gold, like Apple doing these kinds of things is somehow different from other companies doing the same things.

It seems like they're starting to get called on this crap, however, which is all I can ask for. Let all but Apple's most faithful really give a thought to how they design their platform, and then let's see how well they can compete. If they're still just as successful, then again, more power to them. If not, well then, justice will be served.

Whew. Thanks for the opportunity to get that off my chest. I feel much better now.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley B View Post
    Really?

Is this separate from the mobile banking option they have? Do you actually know of an app they released? Any info?
    I think the poster's referring to the mobile web site (bofa.mobi), but that's so good on the Pre that there's little need for a "true" app, IMHO.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    "Hello, I'm an iPhone"
    "And I'm a Pre"
    Pre: "Oh" <looks down> "I only have 5,000, But I have this really cool app that lets my phone sound like a piano when I touch the keys" <plays a tune> "do you have an app like that?"
    Thank you for the LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    "Suppose you're making a call, and you need to check the contents of an email, or look up a phone number? There's no app for that."
    Yeah, there's no app for that.. you can do it natively on the iPhone.

I never really understood all the hatred for Apple when I first started perusing this forum, as I've been using an iPod for years and have been impressed. But after trying to use the iPhone and then reading articles like this...wholly cow am I glad I have a Pre! I couldn't imagine spending hundreds of hours on an app that only has one distribution point just have that point cut off without explanation. I mean, that could bankrupt someone. One of the commenters on that article said it best:

"It interesting that microsoft was so vilified for bundling IE with windows. But it’s not like they banned apps on windows for duplicating functionality. How on earth Apple manages to maintain any credible reputation among developers is beyond me."

If I were Palm, once the app store and development community are more stable, I would attack Apple on this. I could definitely see a PC vs MAC type commercial.

"Hello, I'm an iPhone"
    "And I'm a Pre"
    This is a great idea though.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I think the poster's referring to the mobile web site (bofa.mobi), but that's so good on the Pre that there's little need for a "true" app, IMHO.
    True. Thanks!

Although it would be nice to see a merged cleared/pending view similar to the one on the full site, where it shows the balance to the right after each debit credit.

I'll take this up with BofA, since it's not a Pre issue.
    I know this post has to do with Google Voice being removed from iPhone, but the phrase "There's No App for That" would make a great ad campaign for Palm.

Now, in a car: "Suppose you're streaming music on your phone and you want turn by turn directions at the same time. There's no app for that."

"Suppose you get a call while streaming music and getting turn by turn directions, and you'd like to answer it. There's REALLY no app for that."

"What if you want to browse the web with two open browser windows, get your email, check the latest baseball scores, and listen to streaming podcasts?"

This is complete win
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It seems like they're starting to get called on this crap, however, which is all I can ask for. Let all but Apple's most faithful really give a thought to how they design their platform, and then let's see how well they can compete. If they're still just as successful, then again, more power to them. If not, well then, justice will be served.
    I've always thought that once they built a device that was universally popular (like the iPhone) and people who bought an Apple product but hadn't actually drunk the Koolaid got to see how things operate on the compound, things were going to get sketchy.

This is brilliant, but since it couldn't be done with a semi-nude, crazy, creepy girl, it'll never happen. Thanks for playing, though!
    You know you could expand the whole there is no app for that ad campaign to include things like touchstone too.

You are at the office talking on your phone at the office and your pre alerts you that your battery is low.

You say: "Hang on:

Put the pre on the touchstone. It begins charging and switches to speaker phone. You continue you conversation with ease.

Show that fancy video of the palm rotating and closing its slider and have a voice over say: "Intelligent, wireless charging, there is no App for That. The Palm Pre, only on Sprint."
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    You know you could expand the whole there is no app for that ad campaign to include things like touchstone too.

You are at the office talking on your phone at the office and your pre alerts you that your battery is low.

You say: "Hang on:

Put the pre on the touchstone. It begins charging and switches to speaker phone. You continue you conversation with ease.

Show that fancy video of the palm rotating and closing its slider and have a voice over say: "Intelligent, wireless charging, there is no App for That. The Palm Pre, only on Sprint."
    That would be a good ad.

There was a thread about a week ago, with suggestions on what the Palm ads should have been, instead of the creepy albino. I suggested using the "cards" theme:

http://forums.precentral.net/1768682-post16.html

But the "there's no app for that" phrase would play off Apple's smug satisfaction with its own greatness, and give people a laugh. Apple would hate that.
    I like your ideas, but I wouldn't directly show an iPhone in the ad. Anyone who is paying attention will get that "There is no app for that" is a jab towards Apple.

I would take your idea with the magician and blend it with some of the early preview videos that palm released.

Guy is on a street corner watching a magician dealing out cards. He is on the internet on his pre, when he gets an e-mail from his girl friend asking about movie tickets. He pops open fandango, buys tickets. Then he checks his calendar and show that the movie time has already been added, then with a quick flick text's her that he has movie tickets and to check her google calendar because it has the times on it.

Magician says something about his card trick being magic. Guy w/ the pre smirks a bit and walks away listening to music.

Show the spining/sliding pre again and que voice over: "Card-base True Multitasking. There is no App for that. The Palm Pre, Only on Sprint."

Just thoughts. I think it would be very nice to show and actual work flow on the phone rather than just creepy girl flicking her finger around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    This is complete win
    Cool - every windows mobile phone could use this ad campaign too! It might have been useful when I made this post - over four years ago. It's pretty much old news today.
    I never really cared much for Apple myself not from any personal experience mind you just from stories I have heard from other like how Apple likes to take over everything take the ipod for instance it converts your mp3's to there format which is why I went with the Micosoft Zune mp3 player it was the first best decision I made. This article only affirms the second.

I love my Pre!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast