Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    How about this for a cool new feautre: An adaptive ringer volume.

Whenever the phone needs to ring or alert, it could sample the ambient volume through the mic, then decide on a proper ring level. This could also be scaled with a manual slider to tweak it.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs86 View Post
    How about this for a cool new feautre: An adaptive ringer volume.

Whenever the phone needs to ring or alert, it could sample the ambient volume through the mic, then decide on a proper ring level. This could also be scaled with a manual slider to tweak it.

Thoughts?
    My only hesitation would be if it was extremely loud and your phone rings you might start to blow out some speakers on the phone. Maybe there can be a maximum allowed level or something like that.
    The other problem I think you would face is that when the phone is in my pocket the "ambient" noise would be muffled from the aspect of the phone and seem quiet. Then the phone wouldn't ring loudly at all.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Perhaps it could sample the accelerometer too and see if its moving. If its moving at all, one could assume its close to a human (in a car, pocket, or hand)...and then coupled with the ambient noise info, it could ring quieter if its near a person and the room is quiet. If it was sitting perfectly still (sitting on a desk, or even charging), it could ring louder assuming the owner may have set it down and walked a bit away.
    Either way, the feature would need to be toggle able since I can see people wanting to be able to turn it on and off for their own purposes.
    Or it could sample ambient noise in Lithuania and compare it to the ambient noise in my fish tank and then input those into the following equation:

Then divide by 2. That is your volume.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    My only hesitation would be if it was extremely loud and your phone rings you might start to blow out some speakers on the phone. Maybe there can be a maximum allowed level or something like that.

the volume scale is already set in the phone. If you turn the volume all the way up, it doesn't blow out your speakers.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    The other problem I think you would face is that when the phone is in my pocket the "ambient" noise would be muffled from the aspect of the phone and seem quiet. Then the phone wouldn't ring loudly at all.

I take it you have never had a friend's phone 'pocket dial' you!