Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I have a few AIM screen names that I use. When I bought my Pre last month, I added the screen name that I use most of the time. Apart from the typical battery drain issues that everyone's been having with AIM on the Pre, everything worked fine. Yesterday, I decided to add another AIM screen name into my Pre.

Now, here's the issue. If I try to sign into AIM with the new screen name on the Pre, it won't let me actually send a message without signing into the first account that I added. If I sign out of everything and then only sign into the newest account, it'll let me grab the buddy list associated with it and the little "available" indicator lights up halfway. But I can't receive any messages, and if I try to send one, I'm automatically signed into the other AIM account so that both are logged in simultaneously.

Is there anyway that I can just be signed into one account or the other? I've actually tried entering the wrong password for the old account so that it can't log into it. If I sign into the new account and try to send a message, all that happens is I get errors telling me the old account has a wrong password.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dead78; 07/29/2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: clarity
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    also, I tried signing into AIM with the old account on my computer and sending the command to sign out of the old account. that worked, but as soon as I try to send a message from Pre with the new account, it automatically signs in the old account, too.

wtf
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Palm has alot of cleaning up/tweaking to do with the IM services. As of now, just having your AIM & GTalk accounts online will drain the battery significantly.

Even Palm said to avoid using IM if you can as there's battery drain bug is something they need to address.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    battery life on this phone is **** and that's just something we have to deal with - palm sold the pre with an underpowered battery.

that being said, I don't see why I must be signed into all my AIM accounts simultaneously. is there a way to prevent this?
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    As of right now no. We'll see what changes come in the next update.. I agree this is one of the key features on the phone that needs fixing.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    thanks for the response. be nice if Palm spent a little less time with microsoft exchange servers and a bit more time with something as basic as IM.

looks like the only fix for me would be to delete one of the screen names from my Pre. if I delete one, will I lose all of the buddy list info that I linked with my contacts?
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I can't say for sure but I'm leaning towards yes.