1.    #1  
    So I think most of us have seen an obvious increase in the speed/snappiness of WebOS since the 1.1 update, but I thought it would be interesting to see how much of a difference their changes really made.

The SunSpider test (tests JavaScript performance) for the Pre when it first came out was 48.6seconds, 0.1s faster than the iPhone 3g, but nearly 3X slower than the 3gs. Running the test with the 1.1 update, my averaged total was ~34.4s, a difference of 14.2 seconds, or nearly 30%. Still a ways behind the 3gs, but I'm hopeful another update can change that...

link to original test
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chbearsrock View Post
    So I think most of us have seen an obvious increase in the speed/snappiness of WebOS since the 1.1 update, but I thought it would be interesting to see how much of a difference their changes really made.

The SunSpider test (tests JavaScript performance) for the Pre when it first came out was 48.6seconds, 0.1s faster than the iPhone 3g, but nearly 3X slower than the 3gs. Running the test with the 1.1 update, my averaged total was ~34.4s, a difference of 14.2 seconds, or nearly 30%. Still a ways behind the 3gs, but I'm hopeful another update can change that...

link to original test
    Yep, I posted about this in the "1.1 is out" thread, complete with screen cap

3.    #3  
    Man..I am on a roll with bad posts recently.

Sorry folks..
    The question is, which JavaScript engine are they running? (Is there any way we can tell?) It seems like they might of switched from the standard JavaScriptCore to SquirrelFish. That means they could move on to SquirrelFish Extreme (all its features, probably minus the JIT compiler), which would bring another speed boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by chbearsrock View Post
    Man..I am on a roll with bad posts recently.

Sorry folks..
    No worries, I doubt most people saw my posts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    The question is, which JavaScript engine are they running? (Is there any way we can tell?) It seems like they might of switched from the standard JavaScriptCore to SquirrelFish. That means they could move on to SquirrelFish Extreme (all its features, probably minus the JIT compiler), which would bring another speed boost.
    The boost didn't just come from this version, I've been running the test with every upgrade, my numbers are as follows:

1.0.2 - 48s
    1.0.3 - 44s
    1.0.4 - 40s
    1.1 - 34s
    what makes you think they're not using javascriptcore?
    Anyone know for sure that the javascript interpreter is faster or has the cpu clock been sped up?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Snappier? I think everyone has seen the phone slow down tremendously since 1.1. I don't know what phone you're using that you've seen performance increase.
    When I run the sunspider test it always hangs at the 3d-morph test, anyone else seeing this happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    Snappier? I think everyone has seen the phone slow down tremendously since 1.1. I don't know what phone you're using that you've seen performance increase.
    It's a bit presumptuous of you to speak for everyone. Why not speak from your own experience alone and let everyone else do the same.

I for one have found things quite a bit snappeir, in particular in the Photos app, and I look foreward to further optimizations of the software.
  11.    #11  
    My battery life has taken a hit but my phone's performance is definitely a lot smoother..especially scrolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Anyone know for sure that the javascript interpreter is faster or has the cpu clock been sped up?
    My cpu has been upped to 550 or 600 since I first rooted it(shortly after launch), I currently have it set at 550. The stock speed is still 500, they haven't changed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalk View Post
    When I run the sunspider test it always hangs at the 3d-morph test, anyone else seeing this happen?
    3d-morph is one of the longer tests, but it shouldn't hang. It goes through all the tests something like 5 times to get an average. How long is it hanging?
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalk View Post
    Mine too. Its not just long, its forever! Left it for a good 5 minutes a few times. Still nothing. hmmmm
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    It's a bit presumptuous of you to speak for everyone. Why not speak from your own experience alone and let everyone else do the same.

I for one have found things quite a bit snappeir, in particular in the Photos app, and I look foreward to further optimizations of the software.
    How about I speak for the 33 people in this thread alone.
    How about I speak for the 33 people in this thread alone.
    33 Posts != 33 people There are repeat posters, there are posts saying "everything is fine", etc. Also, 33 people out of how many thousands of people are a member of this forum, that still doesn't qualify you to speak for everyone.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    i've seen a lot more posts regarding it running "snappier" since 1.1 (including myself)
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    what makes you think they're not using javascriptcore?
    I would they they are if they are giving the source code on their own page:
    Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

Why would they be writing patches for it if they aren't using it. The patch says its the Safari-3-2-branch
    I've definitely noticed that my phone is much faster with the 1.1 update. However, I've also noticed a decrease in battery life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    3d-morph is one of the longer tests, but it shouldn't hang. It goes through all the tests something like 5 times to get an average. How long is it hanging?
    Well I tried letting it sit for about an hour, but it was still hung on 3d morph, resetting doesn't seem to help either. My wife's pre seems to be having the same problem.

My pre also seems to hang a lot when scrolling through things, I wonder if its somehow related...