1.    #1  
    Has anyone else noticed that the latest Blackberry's and iPhone's have a standard 1400mAh battery and us Pre owners got stuck with a measly 1150mAh?

What's up with that Palm???

May not seem like much of a difference to some, but 18% is pretty significant in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    could be due to size???
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Did you seriously just post that?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Did you seriously just post that?
    LOL! And wow, that's a startling switch! From Twain to Clint. From a man of many words to a man of few but well-delivered.
  5.    #5  
    just interested in hearing thoughts on why Palm would choose to use a battery size that is clearly not adequate for doing all the things they love to advertise it can do for a full day...

form over function seems like a poor strategy in this case.
    Two replies to your post:

1) once the new-ness wears off, Youll find your not constantly turning the screen on to look at it. Mine lasts a full day now, and sometimes I can go 2 days. Granted, Im talking about light usage.

-On a side note, there is a list of all the things you can do to conserve battery power. GPS, bluetooth, brightness levels, and many more options.... Sorry I dont have the link.

2) I think FORM over FUNCTION is what is thrilling everyone about the PRE... Youll hear it again and again, even on IPHONE fanboys that their iphone feels cluncky compared to the smoothness of the PRE...

And lastly, cheer up... I believe you can purchase the SEIDICO (spelling) increased battery even from this PRECENTRAL. Im pretty sure they have released it already, but personally I just dont have the need for a bigger battery right now. I think there are even more than just that one coming out as well. I heard something about a new battery coming out to compete with that one.... so....
    There is a 1400mah battery available for the Pre. Search for it.

Most likely Palm used the 1150mah battery because it was already being used in the Centro and 800w. It's cheaper for them to reach into the parts bin rather than creating a new battery for the device.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    The iPhone doesn't have a keyboard or a slider. The BB doesn't have a slider or a touchscreen (except for the bold, which doesn't have a keyboard). The Pre has all three, and all take up space, which means for any given external size there's less room inside for a battery. The iPhone and BB are also physically larger.

Life is all about compromise. People have been screaming at Palm for years that the Treos are too big and clunky, so Palm listened. The compromise is a smaller battery.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The iPhone doesn't have a keyboard or a slider. The BB doesn't have a slider or a touchscreen (except for the bold, which doesn't have a keyboard). The Pre has all three, and all take up space, which means for any given external size there's less room inside for a battery. The iPhone and BB are also physically larger.

Life is all about compromise. People have been screaming at Palm for years that the Treos are too big and clunky, so Palm listened. The compromise is a smaller battery.
    I would also add that another battery life compromise has been software. Palm hasn't yet pulled out all the stops on getting various power management capabilities working (cpu frequency scaling and voltage scaling). When and if they do, it will help. But implementing such things properly takes a lot of time and a lot of testing. See this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-app-here.html.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

And by "bold" you mean the Storm, good sir.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I bought the Seidio 1350 mAh battery and it does make a difference, and it fits nicely in the battery compartment with the factory back. For the price of the Pre would it have been too much trouble for Palm to have just included one like it to begin with?
    Troll much?
    I am not too concerned with the battery size as long as it is efficient. I had the Touch Pro before and it's battery life was subpar lasting less than the Pre. I believe that the TP had a 1400mAh battery.

On another note, I find that the Pre last just as long as the new iPhone 3Gs in talk and standby time. So the bigger size battery is would be nice only if it doesn't effect the size of the phone. Hence the Pre is pretty efficient in its battery usage and made a good decision to use a slimmer battery in order to improve the form factor of the phone