Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Is this the Motorola one?
    That's it. Sorry I didn't post a model #.
    Wouldn't the best car charger test be Pandora + Sprint Nav + Bluetooth?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I have an actual plug in adapter in my car that lets you plug in a regular power cord. Will the power charger that comes with the pre plug in and work with both pandora and nav? I was hoping to mount the touchstone and have it charge while running those apps while the touchstone is plugged into the adapter.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Wouldn't the best car charger test be Pandora + Sprint Nav + Bluetooth?
    Yes, I agree. However, checkout this thread about side affects of using Sprint Nav and Bluetooth simultaneously.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...11#post1789311
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Yes, I agree. However, checkout this thread about side affects of using Sprint Nav and Bluetooth simultaneously.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...11#post1789311
    In that case, the user is on the a call, which most likely due to lack of data connection screwed up the Nav app. I'm talking about using Pandora and Sprint Nav with a BT stereo car receiver.

I'm wondering this because I'm actually considering a upgrading my car's stereo to something with BT capabilities.
  6.    #26  
    Okay, I see where you are going. Unfortunately, my car does not have bluetooth capabilities so I can't test that for you. From what I've heard, the ideal situation would be:

BT stereo car receiver + Touchstone + Pandora + Sprint Nav!
    Here is the test I just performed using the dealxtreme dual usb adapter:
    -Pandora streaming
    -Sprint Nav on
    -Streaming to car stereo via bluetooth A2DP
    -Pal Pre is charging on the Touchstone.

After 12 mins, charge went up from 73% to 76%

See my post in the accessories forum about this adapter. Sorry, replying on my Pre right now and it's a pain to copy/paste the link to the dealxtreme site.
    Back at the computer. Here it is:
    DealExtreme: $4.81 Dual USB Power Ports Car Cigarette Power Adapter (1000mA)

Never got hot during my test. Only very warm. The other usb was also in use (connected to the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway). The Sprint-branded charger, on the other hand, *did* get hot.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    Back at the computer. Here it is:

Never got hot during my test. Only very warm. The other usb was also in use (connected to the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway). The Sprint-branded charger, on the other hand, *did* get hot.
    Okay... for less than 5 bucks and free S/H, I'll order this one right now. Not much to lose. Thanks for the reco!
    You're welcome! I like to use it w/ a cable like this:
    Micro USB Retractable CABLE Data Charge Treo Pro 800w - eBay (item 150321173889 end time Aug-12-09 16:29:54 PDT)

Just take out the center "retractable" contraption and it becomes a great unobtrusive cable that makes it easier to do cleaner installation of your touchstone in your car.
    The micro usb adapter end will require some very slight shaving down so it fits into the touchstone. Took me just a minute or so.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I just tried this very setup tonight and the charger worked 1 time then it quit working. It started charging good with Pandora, Navigator, and bluetooth running. Then it stopped charging completely. Now I am on to the next charger.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedBrkr View Post
    Car Charger and Micro USB Cable from Monoprice.com:

3523 - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black - $0.97

For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories[/url]

5457 - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 3ft - $0.99

For only $0.81 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 3ft | USB 2.0 Cable - Micro-B Type[/url]
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lobody94 View Post
    I just tried this very setup tonight and the charger worked 1 time then it quit working. It started charging good with Pandora, Navigator, and bluetooth running. Then it stopped charging completely. Now I am on to the next charger.
    What do you mean when you say "stopped charging completely"?

I bought 3 sets of these and they've all worked fine in 3 different cars.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Mine worked fine for a few days. Then stoped charging both my and my wife's pre. When you unplug it, the pre flashes that its charging for a microsecond. Its weird. You'd think if they are going to gouge us a ton of money for a simple car charger, it would at least be made of better quality. I'm kinda pissed at this point.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lobody94 View Post
    Update:

After a month or so of using this (Monoprice) car charger, it finally died. Does anyone know the cause of this? Just speculating but could it be possible that some contact came loose from overheating (the charger does get hot at times)? I guess I could take it a apart and see.

I did order a few of these and my spare one is working fine.
    The monoprice car charger sucks. it is cheap, both in quality and in price.
    when charging the Pre, it heats up A LOT....
    I haven't opened it up, but it's probably just a bunch of resistors or something...

Take my advice and get the dealxtreme dual usb car charger (white). It's good quality and gets warm but never HOT during charging. Works well w/ the Touchstone, too.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Yeah the monoprice charger sucks, I bought two. I tested one and it seemed to work and I gave it to a friend, then I tried the second one and it got really hot and actually DRAINED my battery.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamfrontosa View Post
    I use the sprint car charger and it works fine.
    Same here...although I am hoping to get the Palm charger pretty soon since it will fit into the extra Touchstone I purchased.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    The monoprice car charger sucks. it is cheap, both in quality and in price.
    when charging the Pre, it heats up A LOT....
    I haven't opened it up, but it's probably just a bunch of resistors or something...

Take my advice and get the dealxtreme dual usb car charger (white). It's good quality and gets warm but never HOT during charging. Works well w/ the Touchstone, too.
    I did open it up and nothing seemed out of place; most likely a resistor had gone bad or something.

As for the dealextreme dual car charger, just placed an order! Thanks for the tip and doing the research for us! =)

Here's a link to the item if anyone wants to order one ($4.81 w/Free Shipping):

Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Palm oem charger. Keeps charge at 100% while on TS.

Palm Vehicle Power Charger - Palm Accessories
    +1!

I recommend getting it from Precentral to make sure you get the correct model number.

And to the OP, it seems youre getting the same answers as the previous threads regarding this topic. Someone even made a list of the ones known to work and to not work.

I bought two monoprice ones and they both did NOT charge whatsoever!
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Ya, I don't get all this hassle over chargers. Is there something wrong with buying the charger that Palm makes for the Pre? Whether it's an AC charger on an inverter or the auto charger. It's obvious the Pre won't always just take any old charger. Buy the one that's made for it and move on.

BTW, I have a Touchstone in my truck and no matter what I run, the battery stays charged 100%. And it's a Palm charger, and it wasn't expensive, and it works, and if something happens, I don't have to explain why I was using a $3 China made POS.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast