Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    This has been happening to me almost every other day sometimes up to 3 times a day. I bought two pre phones on 7/27. I updated to 1.1 on my phone but not the other phone. Only my phone has the issue. I'm hoping this is software related. I have another week or so to return to best buy.

Anyone know if palm is aware of this issue? Its really frustrating.
    Hoping there is a fix soon. I posted on the Palm Forums as well about the issue.

I'm really bummed cause one of the reasons I jumped to Palm Pre is because my Helio Ocean 2 was doing the exact same thing.
    Mine just started the random reboots in the last few weeks - not sure if it's related to 1.1. My Treo 700p did the same thing, but it didn't take 2 minutes to finish.
    mine starting doing this a few days ago... I used the paper inbetween the top of the battery trick and it hasnt reset yet... i hope that was the only problem >.> it wasnt related to 1.1 for me because my phone shipped with 1.1 and it started a week and a half after having it
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I actually experience this the last 2 days.

At one point my battery was at 85% charge and it randomly made a ringing sound and displayed a message saying that it was low on power and will need to turn itself off (which it actually did after I dismissed the message).

Other times I've taken my Pre out of my pocket to find that it had completely powered itself down.

I'm not sure if this is my battery acting up or just buggy coding/software causing this.
    My shut downs have nothing to do with closing the slider sometimes. I don't think its the battery because mine came with the little rubber insert at the top. The battery fits very snug. I really like this phone and would hate to have to exchange it but I think I will if it keeps happening.

I have a phantomskinz on mine, should I remove this before exchanging at best buy??
    My phone has been fine until a few days ago. Now it's shutting down multiple times a day. NOT happy about it at all because often I don't notice it actually did this, rendering me unreachable by phone which SUCKS when your wife is 34 weeks pregnant.

Not happy at all.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Happened 5 mins ago
    happy to report it doesnt happen to my pre anymore. 12 days since last random reboot.
    I'm BACK!!!
    Treo 650 -> Treo 755p-> iPhone 3g -> Palm Pre
    My pre will shut down when messing with flipping it open and closed. I found that if the pre is in the open position, and you grasp the keyboard with one hand and the screen with another and give it a very very minor twist back and forth, it will shut off. This makes sense since, I will have the pre open, be using it, close it, and then the next time I go to open and use it, it is off. So, for everyone that is "leaving it idle", make sure that it is actually on when you leave it "idle." My issue is definitely hardware, and I am headed to the sprint store now to get this thing fixed or replaced. luckily I am still within my 30 day trial period, so I may, (hate to say it) go back to my first gen Sprint Instinct...
    seems like it happens 3 or 4 times a daay for me..and its not when sliding shut
    Whats the process for cleaning out the memory as posted above?
    Just got back from the Sprint store. They had an email concerning this problem. Apparently the battery that came with the Pre is slightly smaller than the alloted space, and therefore the connection is not as secure. They went ahead and ordered a new battery, same charge capacity, just slightly physically bigger. Should get it in in a couple days.
    I've been experiencing this for the past week. I thought that maybe I was pressing the power button too long or something, but it shuts off when it's just sitting. VERY ANNOYING!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    I was also having the constant random shut-downs/reboots since the webOS 1.1 download on 7/24.

I tried erasing the entire phone twice with no help. Called tech support multiple times.

On Wednesday, I called and said I needed a new phone. They had a new one to me Thursday morning. I use the backup tricks from the link below and saved everything one last time.

Everything has been great since then. Not one shutdown.

- Craig
    It has been over two weeks so far. All systems go. All lights are green. (knocking on wood very hard.)

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedBrkr View Post
    I actually experience this the last 2 days.

At one point my battery was at 85% charge and it randomly made a ringing sound and displayed a message saying that it was low on power and will need to turn itself off (which it actually did after I dismissed the message).

Other times I've taken my Pre out of my pocket to find that it had completely powered itself down.

I'm not sure if this is my battery acting up or just buggy coding/software causing this.
    I'm having the same issue recently. Got my phone with 1.1 on it, and has been great till now. However, the last 2 days the phone has been shutting off like crazy, most all of the time when it's just sitting there. This morning I also got the battery message. Indicator at top showed 80% or so, and got the warning that phone was very low on battery and would be turned off soon.

Any luck with yours? I'm wondering if this is just all related to the battery, going to try and wedge mine and see how it acts.
    Happened again, getting closer to getting a new Pre....If it's software related i am extremely disappointed palm has not released a statement about this
    I exchanged my first pre because of the slider shut off problem. My new one was also shutting off at random but not when sliding it open or closed. I didn't know why it would shut off at all until 2 days ago when i had my phone in my right hand and I lightly tossed it to my other hand and when it landed on my other hand it shut off. So I started experimenting with it and realized that every time I put my pre somewhere on it's back with a little bit of force it would shut off. So I just did the paper trick because I didn't want to bother getting another exchange and it hasn't done it since.
    After adding a new contact name to a phone number recentely added, I put the phone in open position in the desk in front of me; after 1 minute, was found off and not able to be turned on until battery (1350) was reinstalled.
    It happen again but without doing nothing more than being carried on my waist, I'll try the battery snugging with paper thing.
    Last edited by maqk; 08/29/2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: mispelled
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast