Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't even know what rooting is let alone how to do it. With that said i would love the option to be able surf the net on my laptop through my phone. Are there any easy aps that allow for this or do they all require rooting?
    there is an app in the homebrew app section that will let you do this it came out yesterday
  3.    #3  
    The one I see has this listed "You need root to install this app, but after installing you shouldn't need to root or ssh in to do anything else to make this app work." Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    No you're not missing anything. Even with "My Tether" and the new Web OS Quick Install, you still need to root the pre the first time.
    I thought I was pretty savy but I cannot figure out how to root my pre (Yes, I read all the wikis). Anyone know a simple "step by step"?
    yeah i was disappointed to find that particular homebrew app still needed rooting. I think that My Tether app should be removed form the homebrew forum coz its misleading.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I have it on my PRE--didn't require rooting. You need to investigate the subject more in the Web Dev forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by oron50 View Post
    I have it on my PRE--didn't require rooting. You need to investigate the subject more in the Web Dev forum.
    Would you please post the link to this forum because I can't find it either
    Go to pretether.com and make a small donation. That will give you access to the donors' forum, which has the tether installer available for download. It does not require rooting. However, it does require that you have the PalmSDK installed (basic download and installation) and your Pre in developer mode (Konomi code in universal search).

I did this and My Tether works perfectly...without rooting.
  10.    #10  
    Sent my donation but am still waiting on access :-( I will post a update if/when I get it to work...
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I also sent my donation so I will wait and see too!
    The installer only works for an older version (1.2.4), but they're going to package version 2.0 as soon as they work out all of the kinks.

Aonic responds to the paypal messages personally, so he'll probably give you access this morning after he checks his gmail.
    Great!! I figured they would get it to the point of not needing root. I just went and read their change log. No more need for webosinternals. :-D Now to figure out how much to donate...

Edit: T clarify for those confused. There has never been a need to root for My Tether. it just had a dependency on webosinternals which you needed to root to install. That is where the root/non-root confusion came about.
    Last edited by bmhanson; 07/29/2009 at 08:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    The donation is auto populated! $10...great deal!
    $10 is a no brainer. :-D
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Sounds good...I'll try it out
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I just got it! It is really an awesome app!! It truley is a no brainer for $10!! Go and get it for sure!
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    This is definitely worth the $10. Can't wait to try it when I get my pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    but they're going to package version 2.0 as soon as they work out all of the kinks.

So are are you saying that if I donate, and download version 2.0, i dont need to root? what about the SDK? do i need to get that?

i plan on installing via webos desktop install.... i have filecoaster too..
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    Great!! I figured they would get it to the point of not needing root. I just went and read their change log. No more need for webosinternals. :-D Now to figure out how much to donate...

Edit: T clarify for those confused. There has never been a need to root for My Tether. it just had a dependency on webosinternals which you needed to root to install. That is where the root/non-root confusion came about.
    In my little world, there should never have been any confusion. ROOTING has been required to achieve the end result. And to the nitpickers, I use "rooting" as the more popular accepted definition in this forum.

There should have been no confusion because the "issue" of rooting or not is a concern of those that are shy of rooting. A person that goes in inside their device daily and hacks their javascripts doesn't need, want, or care if an app requires rooting or not.

OTOH, I do appreciate the work that has gone into the tether project and will send a PayPal donation.
    Last edited by 02589; 07/29/2009 at 01:32 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast