Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I second that. I tethered on my 755p for 2 years using PDAnet, an unapproved non-sprint software (sound familiar?), and they never sent me any crazy bill. They just see it as data usage, they cant tell if your on your Pre or on your laptop. Like maxima2k53 said, just dont get crazy downloading videos and such.
    Just sent the money for the app, $10 is a no brainer. Thanks aonic!
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    sprint cant charge u for tethering bc ur on a SE plan which is unlimited data...unless u misuse and download huge files then they might do something...but they dont charge bc there's no plans for the pre tethering
    I tethered with my Blackberry the entire time i had it, with no problems. When I got my pre, I tried to do the same, but it didn't work. I called Sprint and asked, and they said that I needed a special option in my plan, one that wasn't available with the "Everything Data" plan.

The point, there is a plan for tethering provided by Sprint.
    ^^ yes, there is a Sprint tethering 'plan/addon'. I dont have that option on my plan, and my tethering works perfectly. Did you know if you pay the extra for the tethering plan you have a 5gb/month cap whereas you just install the My Tether app on the Pre and tether that way, you have unlimited data? And yes, I have verified that with Sprint reps personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by xyther4523 View Post
    ^^ yes, there is a Sprint tethering 'plan/addon'. I dont have that option on my plan, and my tethering works perfectly. Did you know if you pay the extra for the tethering plan you have a 5gb/month cap whereas you just install the My Tether app on the Pre and tether that way, you have unlimited data? And yes, I have verified that with Sprint reps personally.
    just dont go overboard..
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I wasn't advocating for the plan... I think it's BS that I could tether with my Blackberry, but not my PRE on the exact same plan... all I did was swap phones! I just was clarifying that there is an option provided by Sprint, so they have a reason to get upset. I have no problems with doing this on my *UNLIMITED* data plan.
    First, Sprint does not seem to offer tethering as an add-on to phones any more. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't find it anywhere on Sprint's site on any list of currently available add-ons. Some older language hints at "phone as modem" plans but lead nowhere. Nowadays it appears that you have to get a separate mobile broadband connection account and use a separate USB device.

Second it's right here in your terms of service that you can't tether without Sprint's authorization:

Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance.
    Sprint may or may not be able to tell if you're tethering without authorization, and they may choose not to take action even if they can tell, but legally I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

Nevertheless the first thing I'm going to do when I get my Pre is enable tethering and hope for the best...
    Just a quick question about MyTether?

Does this basically make the pre a functional aircard with the added capability of allowing others to share your connection? I may consider dropping my aircard account if this works as well. For now I use a Sprint (Novatel) USB aircard when traveling, and when at my other house, a Cradel Point Router to share the air card. IF MyTether can accomplish the same thing, with equivalent speeds I could save myself 60 bucks a month.

TIA
    dianehelen.
    It does basically allow you to drop the aircard, unless you need to make calls while surfing por... I mean the internet. If you need to do both at the same time, then you'll need to keep the USB card. I use my USB card quite heavily (with a cradlepoint as well), but I did install the mytether (donate version, so no rooting), and will use it when I'm out and about w/o my USB card.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123