Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Did I miss the obvious on this one? I just got my GV invite and was trying the G-dilaier homebrew app when it dawned on me. If I assign my new GV number to my pick three plan and use that for all my calls then I can drop my minutes plan down to something more affordable. Technically all calls will come from and go to the same number (the GV number). Am I right?
    Good lord, if you can't afford the minutes you use now, then don't use those minutes!

Once Sprint figures out that people are screwing them over by doing this they will simply stop offering the pick 3 or pick 5. A few people will ruin this for everyone.

I hope Sprint terminates your service once it see that you never dial any other number but one.
    yes old news
    I really don't think there is anything wrong with incorporating your GV number into your pick 3-5 and it certainly not breaking any terms of service. Besides at best you'll be able to lower your calling plan down a bit, but all of Sprint's current plans listed on their site are built to ensure profitablitly. So maybe you go for the 3000 family to the 1500 family they still make their money. Also the pick 3 or 5 from Sprint isn't even an advertised feature like MyFaves from Tmo or Friends and Family from Verizon and as long as those companies offer that feature its unlikely Sprint will completely pull it as a retention offer as they are in no shape to continue to loose customers.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Good lord, if you can't afford the minutes you use now, then don't use those minutes!

Once Sprint figures out that people are screwing them over by doing this they will simply stop offering the pick 3 or pick 5. A few people will ruin this for everyone.

I hope Sprint terminates your service once it see that you never dial any other number but one.
    So, what about someone like me? My friends, family, and even my boss all use Sprint. I rarely call landlines, I have 1500 minutes on our plan but I use about 30 a month, if that. Should Sprint cancel my contract because I NEVER go over, and basically have unlimited minutes...
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde

WTH is pick 3 or pick 5 anyway? How many fingers you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    So, what about someone like me? My friends, family, and even my boss all use Sprint. I rarely call landlines, I have 1500 minutes on our plan but I use about 30 a month, if that. Should Sprint cancel my contract because I NEVER go over, and basically have unlimited minutes...
    What does that have to do with anything? I also have 1500 minutes and use only 400 or so between two phones for the same reasons you stated.

So this doesn't have any effect on you.

This may not apply to Pre users because of the need for an "everything" plan, but other phone users could simply sign up for the lowest minutes available, say 300 or 400 - and end up paying $50/month for what is in essence unlimited service because the only number they dial is on their pick 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post
    WTH is pick 3 or pick 5 anyway? How many fingers you use?
    Pick 3 or pick 5 is another famous way to get free stuff from Sprint retentions by pretending like you are going to cancel and hope they offer you that to stay. You can pick 3 (or 5) phone numbers that you can dial for free, like "Friends and Family" on ATT (or Verizon).

There should be a sub forum with tips on how to coerce Sprint into giving away its service for free.
    Be careful with this. When someone actually calls your Google Voice number, it does ring with your Pick 3 caller ID, but ensemble shows the number as unavailable.

So far I've been experimenting with it this month using MagiCall for automated outbound calls and the system still seems screwed up. I have a couple hundred anytime minutes used and barely any Mobile2Home. It definitely appears as if I will go over my allotted minutes and I'll just end up going back to 1250. This seemed like the end all, be all especially combined with Gizmo5 and my SIP phone, but it just doesn't seem to work the way I thought.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing the same issues?
    interestinggggg
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmast View Post
    Be careful with this. When someone actually calls your Google Voice number, it does ring with your Pick 3 caller ID, but ensemble shows the number as unavailable.
    Shhh. Don't tell anyone that. Let them find out when they are over 600 minutes one month....
    True, this isn't even my forum. I just didn't see the PPCGeeks thread until after posting this. >.>
  13.    #13  

Calm down "bro". I've been with sprint for 10 years and I've payed my fair share of overpriced contracts with big corporations. I want to say more but it's not worth the time.

peace!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmast View Post

So far I've been experimenting with it this month using MagiCall for automated outbound calls and the system still seems screwed up. I have a couple hundred anytime minutes used and barely any Mobile2Home. It definitely appears as if I will go over my allotted minutes and I'll just end up going back to 1250. This seemed like the end all, be all especially combined with Gizmo5 and my SIP phone, but it just doesn't seem to work the way I thought.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing the same issues?
    Hmm.. thanks for the insight. If anything it helps me when I am on a jobsite and I need to save the minutes. Times are tough and I will take what I can get.

I got a call from GV and it showed as my google voice number, why wouldn't that count as a pick three incoming call?
    Most of those minutes are already data anyway so you're already paying for it with the unlimited data plan.
    ^what that makes no sense.

^^Because if you check the actual call logs, however google is spoofing the callerID, it's not showing up as the pick three number in ensemble, it shows as Unavailable therefore taking away your AT minutes.
    Calls to my Google Voice number are logged with the actual number in my Sprint call log - not "unavailable." And those calls are actually going against my unlimited Mobile-2-Home minutes. I don't use MagiCall though.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Did I miss the obvious on this one? I just got my GV invite and was trying the G-dilaier homebrew app when it dawned on me. If I assign my new GV number to my pick three plan and use that for all my calls then I can drop my minutes plan down to something more affordable. Technically all calls will come from and go to the same number (the GV number). Am I right?
    For outgoing calls, maybe.If you dial the GV number first, and then the number you want to call you will not be charged minutes. Which, without an app dialer, is rather inconvenient. Once you get all of your contacts assigned a (406) number then it's just much easier to dial that number directly, which you will be charged minutes for.

For incoming calls, maybe. You have the choice of either having your GV number displayed when someone calls or having the phone number of the person calling. If you display your GV number, you do not get charged minutes, but you don't know who is calling unless you use the call presentation feature. I have a hard time with call presentation because by the time I answer the phone and raise it to my ear it's already said the name and I don't know who the caller is until they start talking. If you change the settings to display the number of the person calling, you will be charged minutes.
    Just pay Sprint the 99 bucks and get an everything plan. Quit being cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    Calls to my Google Voice number are logged with the actual number in my Sprint call log - not "unavailable." And those calls are actually going against my unlimited Mobile-2-Home minutes. I don't use MagiCall though.
    I was referring mainly to Incoming calls.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast