Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    (First off, I hate auto-correct. I don't like having to back up to tell the computer I meant to start a word with a lowercase letter. Or that I meant to say "r u ok?".)

But its ridiculous in Memo.... you can't search for a number. No matter what, the Pre "knows" you don't want to search for a number, and it will convert any number you type into a letter. (yes, if you type a letter first, then you can type a number, but try entering an IP address).

WTF - I can't even fathom what they would be trying to help us do with this bizzare behavior.

Eric
    Last edited by ebinary; 07/29/2009 at 07:45 AM.
    First you call it a "bug" in your title then state, "I can't even fathom what they would be trying to help us do with this bizzare behavior." Bugs and features are two very different things.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    First you call it a "bug" in your title then state, "I can't even fathom what they would be trying to help us do with this bizzare behavior." Bugs and features are two very different things.
    It is a "bug"... you cannot search for a number in memo pad.

It appears in a poorly implemented "feature" - forced auto-correction in search terms within memo pad. My comment was - what was this particular feature trying to accomplish in the first place? Often, search terms are not complete words and even more often, they are numbers.

Are you trying to say that this is a behavior you like? Or just being argumentative?
    Evernote will fix that problem right up.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ebinary View Post
    It is a bug... you cannot search for a number in memo pad.

It is a result of a poorly implemented feature. My comment was - what was this particular feature trying to accomplish in the first place.

Are you trying to say that this is a behavior you like?
    It is definitely not a bug. A bug is something that is supposed to work one way but every time you try it, it produces a different result than how it is supposed to work. Just because Palm hasn't implemented this feature to work how you envision does not classify it as a bug. Now if you tried to search for a number and it did it the first time. Then let's say for instance you move into card view and back into memos. Then when you tried to search for a number and it did not work. That would be a bug if it happened like this every time.

Basically what you are saying is that not being able to forward text messages is a bug. That is not correct. It is simply a feature that has not been implemented yet.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    It is definitely not a bug. A bug is something that is supposed to work one way but every time you try it, it produces a different result than how it is supposed to work. Just because Palm hasn't implemented this feature to work how you envision does not classify it as a bug. Now if you tried to search for a number and it did it the first time. Then let's say for instance you move into card view and back into memos. Then when you tried to search for a number and it did not work. That would be a bug if it happened like this every time.

Basically what you are saying is that not being able to forward text messages is a bug. That is not correct. It is simply a feature that has not been implemented yet.
    That is like saying: I can't email fred@fred.com, but it's not a bug. Sure, I can email everyone else, but not fred. But its not a bug, they just haven't enabled the feature to email this particular person.

I've developed software for 20 years, and I guarantee they didn't mean to stop you from searching for a number in Memo (while allowing you to search for a word, or a number prefixed with a letter). I can virtually guarantee you the API call they make after validating the field couldn't care less whether or not the search begins with a number. They just _accidentally_ activated some "helpful" input feature on this particular search field, and it has a side effect of stopping you from entering a number as the first character.

bug bug bug!

Finally, the other reason its a bug is that it uses unnecessary effort (resources) to prevent a behavior that would be reasonable (and improved) had they not used any resources. Normally, a feature means adding code and/or using additional resources, not using less.

Say it with me: BUG.
    There is no bug. If you press the Orange Key AND the number key at the same time, the number will pop up and the memos will be searched for those numbers!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    There is no bug. If you press the Orange Key AND the number key at the same time, the number will pop up and the memos will be searched for those numbers!
    While I won't agree that its not a bug (since it works different than every other entry screen), I do very much appreciate the workaround!

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Um, that isnt a work around. That is how you type numbers in 'general' fields in the Pre. Text messages for example.