Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been posted a million times before.

Thinking about switching from iphone 3g to pre.

Anyone else do this? Regret? Love? Major differences

Service better? Just wondering what everyone has to say
    I didn't just switch from the iPhone, I had the Blackberry Bold and before that I had the iPhone. To compare the iPhone and the Pre, I like the Pre much much better. Apple has the iPhone so locked down to the point it takes a act of congress to get an app published to their app catalog. With the Pre people are making apps daily and they have it opened up so that you can run 3rd party apps. There are some things and games that I miss that I had on my iPhone (like SpaceMonkey) but other than that I LOVE my Pre. Its a good phone I have no complaints as of yet, except I lost the cover to my charger connector.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I switched from the iPhone, I've had all generations of the iPhone and modded it to pieces but I was just bored with it. Plus I'm not a fan of AT&T's prices or lack of 3G coverage. The Pre just seemed like an awesome phone and webOS seemed really solid, so far I'm very impressed and I can't wait to see what happens with this platform.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I had the 1st gen iPhone and recently bought my wife a 3GS. There are things that I am very impress about the 3GS, like how smooth everything runs and from time to time I miss the virtual keyboards, but personally I like WebOS freedom. I mean, iPhone is so restrictive. I jailbroke my iPhone and accidentially bricked it, but those apple "genious" just left me out cold without helping me, or people like me in general. And most of the useful functionalities didn't come until 3.0 came out, so I actually had to wait two years before I could copy & paste...

To sum up, yeah, the new iphone has strength, but it is 2 years too late for me and I have no regret moving on to a more open platform. Will try Android next if possible, too.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronchow View Post
    I had the 1st gen iPhone and recently bought my wife a 3GS. There are things that I am very impress about the 3GS, like how smooth everything runs and from time to time I miss the virtual keyboards, but personally I like WebOS freedom. I mean, iPhone is so restrictive. I jailbroke my iPhone and accidentially bricked it, but those apple "genious" just left me out cold without helping me, or people like me in general. And most of the useful functionalities didn't come until 3.0 came out, so I actually had to wait two years before I could copy & paste...

To sum up, yeah, the new iphone has strength, but it is 2 years too late for me and I have no regret moving on to a more open platform. Will try Android next if possible, too.
    I've used Android, had the G1 and the HTC Magic, it's a very solid platform but in my opinion webOS is alot cleaner
    I also switched due to being bored and raped by at&t. I tried the 3gs but all the new features don't make up for MULTITASKING, and when you multitask the way the pre does its hard to go back to anythingelse.
    I switched from the 3G and the only thing I miss about it is the nice piece of glass it had.
    I switched from the first gen iPhone to the Pre. I have to say, Palm did some things right and some things terribly.

I love the multitasking. It's great on the Pre. I certainly love the keyboard (my main complaint about the iPhone).

However, The second day I had it got down to 18% battery within 3.5 hours of use. Granted, I was using it a lot. But still. I had no idea battery life would be WORSE than on my iPhone (which I already thought was bad). I have to recharge a few times a day.

Also, it's sloooooowwww. I'm amazed how slow it is. It's practically unusable when I've got a bunch of apps open. I learned my lesson and closed everything but the essentials and it helped.

BTW, I just got the phone last wednesday or thursday and am on ver. 1.1. I only had an older version for about an hour so I can't compare them.
    I switched from the 3g to the Pre. No regrets. No more dropped calls or app crashes.
    I switched from a 3G and had no regrets, but I gotta' tell ya' honestly that after almost two months I'm starting to miss the iPhone a little... especially after seeing my co-workers 3GS.

I LOVE the Pre, the multitasking is sweet and the keyboard is great as well but after two months I'm starting to see some limitation of a web technolgy based OS... well I guess I should say GUI since the OS is really Linux.

I also like the form factor of the Pre much better than the iPhone.

The Pre can multitask, but if you have more than a couple of apps open it really bogs down.
    It's pretty sluggish opening things, but once they're open it's pretty fast to switch between them.
    Scrolling is a little bit sluggish as well.

I thought there'd be more apps by now, I don't mind waiting but there were some apps I used on a daily basis that just aren't available on the Pre yet.

I by no means want to switch back to AT&T / iPhone, I LOVE the Pre and I have a better signal on Sprint, but I'm not as ga-ga over the phone as I was two months ago.

Hopefully a lot of my concerns get fixed in future updates
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Well, I switched from a G1 Android phone over to the Pre. WebOS is nice, but I think in all honesty if the new G2, what's know as the My Touch 3G, was available on Sprint's network I'd probably get that. I just think the My Touch 3G I tested was more of a solid device. But WebOS does beat Android and iPhone hands down.
    First in line in Austin,TX for the original iphone (waited in line for 16 hours) and first in line for the iphone 3G in austin again (only had to wait 8 hours this time). Towards the end of my time with the 3G and right before the release of the 3GS i was not interested in the Pre.

However, Apple didnt announce anything exciting at WWDC. They 3GS looked the same and didnt really appeal to me because I was going to have to pay 500 for it and it really didnt offer anything new that wasnt already readily available on the jailbroken scene.

The 3GS came out and I was disappointed to hear it sold like crazy because it wasnt innovative at all, just more of the same. I called AT&T though, trying to get it for a cheap price but they denied all corners. Being a customer for 6 years I told them to cancel my service as I was no longer going to be a customer of theirs.

I called every Sprint/Best Buy within a 300 mile radius and all were sold out of Pre's. The next morning I called and the first store (and closest) had one so I rushed. I have had my Pre since. I had to pay 140 to cancel my AT&T account but i think it was worth it in the end.

Sprint's service is cheaper but includes unlimited texts (only had 200 with AT&T) and the Pre is much better than the iphone (except when it comes to apps but the homebrew scene is fixing that). The only true downside is that with ATT i was getting about 1.5mbps down all the time, whereas with Sprint i'm getting about 700kbps down.
  13.    #13  
    I am thinking about going from iPhone to pre. Worried about switching. Hoe is AT&T vs sprint. And how was the switch from software keyboard to physical. Any of you have problems with the slider? Or any other physical difference betweent iPhone and pre? I am sold on webos. It's Linux based and does everything.
    I think those who miss their iphon is usually because they miss being in the exclusive apple iphone club but not really the phone itself. That's exactly what it is to very exclusive apple club you can not have full control over your phone/mp3 player/computer... They all have to be apple or else its a pain.
    I know i'm going to be called a fanboy and what not but whatever, hear me out, it's only my opinion and should not be taken as anything other than an opinion. Your mileage will most definitely vary.

I purchased a Pre on launch day and was thrilled with it for the first week or so but then I started to get a little frustrated with the "slowness" of the device (to be expected of a 1.0, so my fault I know). For instance, just opening the calendar and going to the view I wanted took around 6-8 seconds. Sure you can keep the calendar app open after launching it the initial time but after awhile and you accumulate enough open cards, the device bogs down a bit and battery life suffers.

There is no real substitute for the Pre's multitasking power but believe it or not the 3GS isn't as bad as most people would make it out to be. For example, all instances of all your tabs of Safari are now held in their latest state (no more refreshing the page immediately after opening the app after closing it) and if you open a page in a new tab, you can tab back to your currently open page while the new one loads (or exit Safari altogether). Sure you can't keep your calendar open on the iPhone but it literally takes about a second to open it up and view useful information. So just as quick as I could enter card view and flick through the open cards to the open calendar app, I can open the calendar app in the 3GS in the same time. Multitasking? No, but not bad.

Of course if your looking to listen to Pandora while browsing the web or using SprintNav, the iPhone is definitely not for you, you need not even look at the iPhone.

In the long run, the Pre is going to be amazing, much more so than it already is. The only thing that scares me is the relatively limited access developers have to the Pre's hardware. I know Palm is looking for a software engineer to develop gaming API's and framework, but that means graphically intensive apps are still a ways off.

Either way you choose, you are going to be getting a great device.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynd View Post
    Of course if your looking to listen to Pandora while browsing the web or using SprintNav, the iPhone is definitely not for you, you need not even look at the iPhone.
    That right there is HUGE. Browsing and doing something else, whether it be email, texting, looking at photos, using navigation, radio. The multitasking truly is the ace in the hole for the Pre. For some reason I think women really love the Pre? I know my wife didn't like the 3Gs because she hated the virtual keyboard, and she thought it was too big. Women seem to like that tiny little, cute keyboard with its little keys. They like to actually type something with their nails. I know it seems odd, but that's what she told me.

But really, whereas men like to play games that have good graphics and are fast (iPhone), women are more practical and they see the keyboard and multitasking features as something worth paying for.
    Quote Originally Posted by papertigers View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted a million times before.

Thinking about switching from iphone 3g to pre.

Anyone else do this? Regret? Love? Major differences

Service better? Just wondering what everyone has to say
    I switched from an iPhone 2G to the Palm Pre on June 28 and took my Pre back yesterday because of hardware problems and the fact my retailer didn't have any available replacements so I canceled my service and now I'm phone-less. I'm thinking of going back to getting an iPhone 3GS but honestly don't think I can pay for the outrageous plan + unlimited text messaging. I love the Pre and plan on getting another one here in a couple days with a new 30 day trial but I'm going to go with a Sprint corporate store and if I have more hardware issues I don't know, I'll probably end up going back with an iPhone. I just wish I could feel confident in buying a Pre and knowing I'm going to get a quality product. The software is there, they just need the hardware to catch up.

If it makes a difference, after using the Pre and then using my friend's iPhone, the iPhone seems very inelegant. Doesn't seem nearly as advanced as the Pre with the gesture area and everything.
    I made the switch from a first gen iphone. All I wanted is multitasking. The 3gs did not offer it. So I switched. I don't regret it at all. I like webos more and multitasking. The things that I kiked more about my iphone are the mp3 player and the hardware. I love the pre and would not switch unless iphone got multitasking.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    I think those who miss their iphon is usually because they miss being in the exclusive apple iphone club but not really the phone itself. That's exactly what it is to very exclusive apple club you can not have full control over your phone/mp3 player/computer... They all have to be apple or else its a pain.
    There are so many people with iPhones that they've been kicked out of the club.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro and an iPod Touch (and numerous older Apple computers), so naturally I'm in the club. My computer has Mac OS X and Windows 7 on it. Can you put Mac OS X on your computer? Looks like I have more control over my computer than you do.
    Well, not an iphone, but quite similar. i used to use s combo of a dumbphone and an ipod touch. I miss one or two apps, and personally like the hardware of the iphone/ipod touch line but I fell in love with webOS.

Easilly the the most useable and prettiest mobile platform to date. I can't believe someone not-named Apple beat Apple in thier own game. Android has potential too but Palm is doing it better. I also like the shape of the Pre but wish it was made out of metal and glass intead.

I'm still keeping the touch to use some apps like the diet one but that's about it.
    Last edited by ranzchic; 07/29/2009 at 11:44 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast