Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Could anyone tell me how Sprint coverage is in Washington, DC? How does it stack up to the other carriers?

I live in the Takoma neighborhood and ride the Metro to work. Thanks to posts here, I know that the Pre will roam on Verizon's network in the Metro.

But how is Spring coverage in DC, particularly the Takoma area, if you should know.

By the way, I'm looking to make the Palm Pre my very first cell phone! I hope Sprint's coverage is better better than AT&T's, which my girlfriend uses!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by undodog View Post
    Could anyone tell me how Sprint coverage is in Washington, DC? How does it stack up to the other carriers?

I live in the Takoma neighborhood and ride the Metro to work. Thanks to posts here, I know that the Pre will roam on Verizon's network in the Metro.

But how is Spring coverage in DC, particularly the Takoma area, if you should know.

By the way, I'm looking to make the Palm Pre my very first cell phone! I hope Sprint's coverage is better better than AT&T's, which my girlfriend uses!
    Try both of these. One shows Sprint coverage. The other shows dead zones in your area. It looks like AT&T has the most dead zones in D.C.

Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

Cell Phone Coverage Maps - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by undodog View Post

I've only been to Takoma once with the Pre but from what I remember I had full reception, and that's also the case (for the most part) for the "big city" areas in the DMV like Silver Spring and Mount Vernon Square (Given that you don't go IN the buildings). I would say it will be flawless once (or IF hopefully,) theres an update to get the phone less reluctant to roam when it hits a weak signal area (probly Sprint's doing, but when I force roaming I usually have Verizon signal EVERYWHERE).

Oh and regarding other carriers: I've only been with Nextel, and Sprint dominates Nextel's coverage (or it's at least more reliable).
    In my experience, the DC/Baltimore area has excellent Sprint coverage. I've used it for years and never had any issues.

The one caveat is that Verizon has an exclusive contract on the Metro system so in the tunnels you will be roaming. Don't worry because it's free for Sprint customers.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Hey there, happy to help. I actually lived in DC for 18 years. I travel there about twice a month and stay in the Arlington area. To be honest, the service with sprint in the Arlington area was never great. At & t is a little worse. Verizon by far is the best...but they don't have the Pre, or good deals on plans. There are a lot of dead spots and a lot of signal strength changes on the phone. Before I had a curve, which didn't have as many problems except slow data in the house and on the street. With the pre i just used wifi which was great...but the signal was terrible. TERRIBLE in the house. Changed between Ev1 bar to R all the time. Missed calls. I had the Pre in DC 3 times since I got it. The first time was fine, no problems in the flat areas of arlington. July 4th I was downtown and the service again was terrible. Tried sending picture messages and got plenty of failed messages. About 1 out of ever 3 would actually send. Certain spots are better than others. The Tacoma MD area is actually not bad. Rockville was not bad either. Its a shame, my service is really bad in those areas with the Pre, yet when I come home to WV in the mountains where service for most carriers is worse, my Pre usually has 3-5 bars. So I don't know what to tell you. In most of the cities though, especially around the DC area, sprint is pretty solid unless you are in a low lying area or indoors. Hope this helps. The phone is too bad *** to pass up. I swore to never leave the Blackberry...so much potential with this pre to go back.
    My daughter lives in Cleveland Park. She has a first-floor apartment with windows and outside doors at either end of the apartment. She doesn't have a Pre; she uses an LG phone on Sprint. Until she reequested and received an AirRave from Sprint, she used to drop calls all the time from her apartment. Her reception was terrible. Now, with an AirRave, it's fine.
    I know it won't work with the Metro but I always keep on Sprint only in the Balto/DC area. The verizon towers try to overrun the Sprint and it causes all types of problems. I work from basically the Va to PA line and go as far as I270 and the Bay .

I get great bars after doing so and have been since my Instinct by doing so.
    no idea how it doubled posted
    In DC, in the places I go, Sprint gives me at least as good coverage as my friends get on other networks, and there have been plenty of times when their phones are cut off but mine keeps working.

And Sprint has been pretty responsive when I call to report dead spots. A couple of years ago I couldn't use my phone inside Union Station (back when there was a Palm company store there). I called customer service to let them know and was treated to a free hour of service for my inconvenience. At the end of that call when they asked if they could do anything else to help me that day I jokingly said "I wish the data rate was faster", which led to a 30% discount plus unlimited SMS added on to my account.

Plus, a few months later the dead spot was gone - and now I'm a Sprint fan for life...
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Sprint has the second best coverage after Verizon.
    There are some blind spots on 495 and inside metro tunnels.
    But I noticed my Pre jump to roam ( probably Verizon network) inside Metro tunnels.

Overall Sprint is good in D.C.
    Sprint coverage in the DC area is excellent. I hit few, very few, dead zones. Verizon may be better, but I've hit dead zones with my Verizon air card, too, so they're not perfect either.

Right now Verizon is the only carrier with coverage in Metro's tunnels, and it's spotty in place. But on the subway I can roam on Verizon, albeit at 1xRTT data speeds, not EVDO.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    The reception is great. in DC and Takoma Park. I use to visit Takoma quite frequently 2yrs ago and also have a friend that lives in Takoma Park. I distinctly remember never dropping a call when driving from Takoma to the center of DC. I use to have a g/f that lived there and you know the importance of communication

Using a phone in the Metro... Eh, it's great for texting and having the phone download data. As for actual calls... It may come in handy while waiting for the train if above ground.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I live in Fairfax county ( YUCK) and work in Takoma Park. I don't have any major issues with reception.