Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    This past Sunday afternoon myself and some close friends were out on the lake. I gave my Pre to a friend to snap a photo of me and she drops it in the lake. It was only submerged for about 5 seconds if that. Phone worked for about 5min then it didn't turn on.

Went to Sprint store yesterday morning to file the insurance claim through Arion (sp?). I haven't recevied a phone call yet from them to verfiy they got my paperwork. I assume that will take place sometime today.

I check my Pre this morning after drying it out and it turns on. Checked about 20 emails, made a phone call, and other basic fuctions, and everything seemed OK. I still need to really test it out though.

Should I go ahead and get a 'new' Pre for the $100 deductable or just cross my fingers with my orginal Pre and hope nothing serious happened? This is the first time I've ever had a phone dropped in water and filing a claim.

Please give me some feedback here....
    You have insurance... why not wait to see if your phone does truely crap out? I cannot see spending 100 bucks unless I was sure.
    If the person that dropped your phone is paying the $100 bucks I would just get a new one. who knows what kind of problems will happen down the road but if your paying it than just use the phone as long as it works.
    Keep the original, unless there's a blemish that is bothering you. Normally when a phone gets wet, as long as you dry it completely, it won't have that many side-effects. Most likely, it will fail long-term, due to corrosion/etc, but for now, it should be fine. Save that $100.
    no 'Thanks'
    I'd say save the 100. This may sound weird but to make sure it's totally dry, put it in a bag f rice overnight.it will draw out the moisture. My brother and dad and quite prone to taking their phones for a swim and it's always worked for them.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thanks guys for the replys. I still need to give it a solid test run to make sure everything works. But, for the 10 minutes I played with it, everything was OK.

Now, my phone is still less than a month old. I've see the posts on here regarding build quality issues with the phones built before July. Any chance I could exchange it for a newer build by saying I don't like the quality of it? Kinda curious how some people were able to get new phones again.
    doubtful, if they pop the back they will be able to tell the unit was water damaged through the litmus paper
    mackey38 is correct. They can tell if there is water damage if they look. My son had a Centro in his pocket and someone pushed him into a swimming pool. We took the battery out and let the phone dry out all night long. Although in-store service could tell the phone had taken water damage, it didn't do anything permanent to the phone itself, except that batteries would only last a few months and then have to be replaced. With insurance, they replaced the battery every time without question. He retired the Centro though and now has an Instinct. Just adding my two cents that I'd save the money and give it time.
    I dropped my centro once in a pot of stale, day old coffee. This wasn't just a pot, this was a huge tiki mug that the phone fit right into, and that coffee had old creamer added to it...so it was far nastier than that lake water yours was submerged in. And by the way, the screen turned on while submerged because it hit bottom and turned it on.

I took it apart, pulled the battery, and let it sit for several hours to dry. As soon as I got it out of that mug, I turned it off and didn't try to push my luck. When I put it back together and turned it on, it worked fine for me until I got my Pre last month. The only downside is that the backlight shorted out because it turned on while submerged. That kinda sucked, having to pack a flashlight with me. But I'd bet if you had taken your phone apart and not tried to use it with water, which conducts electricity, in it, it would still work. That's what the support guys will tell you to do, anyway.
    Last edited by zullnero; 07/28/2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added the part about as soon as I got it out of the mug
    Put your phone in a ziplock bag full of dry rice. The rice will pull out all of the moisture from the phone.
    Just for future reference while we are on the topic, if your phone ever fully submerged in soda or sea water or other none water liquid, it may seem counter intuitive but you should resubmerge the phone (without the battery) in some fresh water (spring or tap, spring would be better, distilled even better) The damage from the liquid is already done, but when it comes to liquids with acids in them or other corrosive materials, the damage is truly done after the acids corrode the metal circuits, so it is a necessity to get those acids away from the metals in the phone if you want any shot at using your phone again.
    Last edited by Wynd; 07/29/2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added some info.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    the same thing happend to me... Before taking it to a sprint store, i let it dry out for a 24hrs. It worked fine after that. Then about two days later, the speaker and headphone jack stopped working properly. I simply took it to the sprint store and told them that their was an audio problem. Then they gave me a brand new phone. My thinking is there isn't really a simple way to take the phone apart to check for water damage, so they just swap it out...

As a plus, I got to keep all the accessories that came with the new phone, and they gave me a $20 credit for the inconvience of losing some of the stuff i had saved on my old phone. Sure i felt kinda bad for taking advantage of them, but then i realized, sprint had been screwing me over for years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    the same thing happend to me... Before taking it to a sprint store, i let it dry out for a 24hrs. It worked fine after that. Then about two days later, the speaker and headphone jack stopped working properly. I simply took it to the sprint store and told them that their was an audio problem. Then they gave me a brand new phone. My thinking is there isn't really a simple way to take the phone apart to check for water damage, so they just swap it out...

As a plus, I got to keep all the accessories that came with the new phone, and they gave me a $20 credit for the inconvience of losing some of the stuff i had saved on my old phone. Sure i felt kinda bad for taking advantage of them, but then i realized, sprint had been screwing me over for years...
    Yay, you just made the rest of us pay for your carelessness. Way to go... You might want to delete your post, since you are getting off to a bad start already--salvage what credibility you have left. Man I hate people that do this crap.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post

You just got lucky that the rep didn't look very well. There are water indicators typically somewhere within the battery department.

Seriously, I wonder how some people sleep at night...
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I was looking for my cellphone once, looked all over my apartment couldnt find it. When I was checking to see if my cat has food, I found it in her waterbowl. She somehow got it in there. It was in there for at least 3 hours while it was on. I immediately removed the battery and placed the phone in a bag of rice. after a day or two I turned it on and no problems with it since. (old sanyo katana, built well)

The screen had a little mark from the water drying from it. make sure that water did not enter the screen and try your speakerphone.

goodluck
    Its going to fail eventually, so just keep it until it does.

I don't see a difference of spending $100 now or later, except you will have $100 to spend NOW on other things.