Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

<sending thoughts to Pre>

Ooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

<Stop the Oreo.... Stop the Oreo....>

ooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

<Damnit>
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    creepy albinos do not sell phones!
    So much talk about these ads. That's what's crazy.

Oh, along with the failure of some folks to see that this kind of buzz is golden.
    The target of these ads is not the 25-45 male geek. We all already know about it. The target is the never before smart phone owner. Likely women.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    stop all ye *****ing, it's up to palm to succeed or fail, let them at it.
    Get out the tinfoil Martha! No phone's gonna read my mind!

I think some people exaggerate the negatives of these ads.

I do enjoy the zen quality of it.

I don't enjoy the slight oddness of it.

However, these commercials are the talk of every gadget blog, good or bad.....i doubt a commercail is going to make osomeone who was interested in the phone...not be. Nor do i think someone would watch it and be like "well that phone must be stupid because the girl is pale".

With that said, the Palm Pre name is out there via these ads, which i think is one of the more important things to Palm. The iPhone and a Blackberry are ubiquitous in the phone market....Palm needs their phone to be there as well.
    Hmmm, ad says the Pre can read my mind! I guess it KNOWS I want to be able to bulk empty my trash email, and KNOWS I want Memo categories, and KNOWS I want a functional Calendar and Tasks. So, why doesn't it DO what I want it to?
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    The target of these ads is not the 25-45 male geek. We all already know about it. The target is the never before smart phone owner. Likely women.
    that the target of the adds is NOT 25-45 year old men espcially non geeks who already know about it, is a problem in and of itself.

as far as women, my wife, who would be the non-geek never before smartphone owner who is up for a new contract, hates these commercials as well. so thats at least one member of another target audience on whom these are not money well spent. I would say she speaks for more than one non-geek female, but she is no longer one of the Nielsen raters. she was for a while though.
    There are four lights.
    Come on people! We all know Roger McNamee must be writing these commercials. Maybe SHE is the "alien technology"?
    that's right up there with the iphone advertising how great they are with their brand new copy & paste feature!
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Hahaha..

You know, I'm still wondering if they're doing this on purpose. The iTunes battle gives them a lot of publicity and kinda makes Apple into the bad guy. But the commercials. Man, those get even more talk. Check twitter, everybody is talking about the freaky Palm Pre girl.

Now some might think this is bad publicity. But in a time where ads rule TV, the internet and every street corner, this is ad stands out. Nobody is saying: this is a bad phone. They're saying, look at the freaky Palm Pre girl. Meanwhile, they're also checking out the Pre.

I don't know how ads work (who does really) and if this is really a good thing to have people talk about. But I'd rather have an ad with a freaky girl people talk about, than one boringly describing the functions with nobody even noticing.
    ok i get it!!...The phone knows shes crazy yet it can still manage her life...soooooooo if the pre can manage her crazy lifestyle then just think of what it can for yours!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Hahaha..

You know, I'm still wondering if they're doing this on purpose. The iTunes battle gives them a lot of publicity and kinda makes Apple into the bad guy. But the commercials. Man, those get even more talk. Check twitter, everybody is talking about the freaky Palm Pre girl.

Now some might think this is bad publicity. But in a time where ads rule TV, the internet and every street corner, this is ad stands out. Nobody is saying: this is a bad phone. They're saying, look at the freaky Palm Pre girl. Meanwhile, they're also checking out the Pre.

I don't know how ads work (who does really) and if this is really a good thing to have people talk about. But I'd rather have an ad with a freaky girl people talk about, than one boringly describing the functions with nobody even noticing.
    I doubt they're trying to purposefully make bad advertisements. They certainly wanted something very different in terms of advertising for a tech product. But they're really, really trying to hit a demographic that is, um, under-represented on this and every other tech board/blog. I don't know how well they're hitting that demographic, but clearly the buzz on the tech boards is a good thing. But I think that's due to the demographic difference rather than to the ads' alleged badness.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Hilarious
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Come on people! We all know Roger McNamee must be writing these commercials. Maybe SHE is the "alien technology"?
    Great avatar I DEFINITELY see the connection to the Borg queen
    Ulrich Schnauss - Knuddelmaus

The song pops up on my Kruder and Dorfmiester station on Pandora every once in a while...it drove me crazy trying to remeber what the song was called. Thanks to who ever said "Ulrich Schnauss +1"
    Is anyone else turned on by that ad?
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Hmmm, ad says the Pre can read my mind! I guess it KNOWS I want to be able to bulk empty my trash email, and KNOWS I want Memo categories, and KNOWS I want a functional Calendar and Tasks. So, why doesn't it DO what I want it to?
    They just keep it that way to torque you.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    that the target of the adds is NOT 25-45 year old men espcially non geeks who already know about it, is a problem in and of itself.

as far as women, my wife, who would be the non-geek never before smartphone owner who is up for a new contract, hates these commercials as well. so thats at least one member of another target audience on whom these are not money well spent. I would say she speaks for more than one non-geek female, but she is no longer one of the Nielsen raters. she was for a while though.
    The question(s) are not whether or not she likes the ad. In spite of what a lot of people think, the purpose of an ad is not to make you like the ad. It's to get you to buy the product.

Sometimes, liking the ad will make you want to buy the product (though not as often as people think). Sometimes, a memorably bad (or even weird) ad will make you remember a product's name. This is more effective than people realize.

There's a carpet cleaning company in my area that does a stupid commercial, where the "ditty" they sing at the end of it is their phone number.

I hate that ad. I can't even remember their stupid company name. All I remember is that they clean carpets, and their phone number. Seems like they've got the essentials down - what they do and how to get hold of them. And they are forever implanted in my poor over-crowded brain.

If I ever own a company again, I'm going to find out the marketing company and hire them.

I think the Palm commercials are more effective than you guys think - espeically when you combine them with the more "hip" Sprint commercials.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast