1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried to use a flash memory stick as an external drive for the Pre. I was thinking if I were to use a USB gender changer for the memory stick and then connect that to the Pre cable if the Pre would see the drive. If so that would be great for extra memory for large files like Movies, Data, Music lib and Pictures. Then I said to myself...."self would that not make the unit smoke" lol
    There are 2 different types of USB devices. One can only be accessed while the othere can access othere devices in addition to being accessed.

One is called a host and I can't remember the other. Try wiki for more info.

And hopefully someone can post what this device is capable of.
  3.    #3  
    Last night I tried a usb thumb (flash) drive connected to the Pre. Did not work. Then tried it through a USB powered hub. The powered hub was to give the flash memory power. Still no access. Looks like at the very least there would need to be a file "tree" program like Windows Explorer as on the palm WX line. Then some code in the phone to activate the micro usb drive while giving power to the thumb drive (as if the Pre did not have enough battery concerns).
    Well maybe someone else can come up with more. In the interm I'll keep you posted if I see/hear/come up with anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    One is called a host and I can't remember the other. Try wiki for more info.
    Host and client. It would need to be host (which it isn't) in order to accept external flash memory. I don't know much about Linux, but there a very slight possibility it may be done through Linux tweaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Host and client. It would need to be host (which it isn't) in order to accept external flash memory. I don't know much about Linux, but there a very slight possibility it may be done through Linux tweaks.
    Correct - you would need a Pre-compliant host driver. Also, you would need a USB socket that's powered (500 mw).
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I was wondering if Palm had included enough of the USB modules on the phone to do this a few weeks ago. It obviously wouldn't be a portable solution, but my thought was that I want to use a flash drive via a powered USB hub to hold a few cloned snapshots of the phone's internal file system in case it became bricked. I never got around to trying it though, mostly due to not having a powered USB hub handy.

I suspect that this may be as simple as loading the appropriate USB modules, but haven't explored any deeper. Along these same lines, I wonder if Palm included the USB keyboard and mouse modules, and if having external USB power isn't the only thing stopping us from having a bigger keyboard at our desks?????
    I've thought about this some. I'd imagine, if the phone is able to connect via USBNet, you could possibly do something like this, but I'm not overly familiar with Linux besides how to set up my system and get it set up so I can compile things from source if I have to
    i use my pre all the time to transfer files when i dont have a flashdrive present.
    which is almost never, but its cool to have on the pre.
  10.    #10  
    I got thinking after reading the post again and I don't see why Palm will not open the USB up for some kind of external device. If Palm wants to replace the older Palm units and nip at the heels of the others then there would needs to be a quick file access/transfer for the business world. We just have to remember that webOS is a software on a new system and things will come in time. We are the blessed few that get to see this grow from the begining.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I got thinking after reading the post again and I don't see why Palm will not open the USB up for some kind of external device.
    If for no other reason than to counter everyone's gripes abut not having an internal SD slot. I could see a micro-USB "side car" flash drive that docks on the side of the phone being a possible option for an accessory....
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I've thought about this some. I'd imagine, if the phone is able to connect via USBNet, you could possibly do something like this, but I'm not overly familiar with Linux besides how to set up my system and get it set up so I can compile things from source if I have to
    Does anyone know linux code enough to check the USB drivers on the pre?
    This has been discussed before. There are a few threads on it. Try searching for USB host. There was a guy who understood USB hosts and did some experiments and concluded that the Pre hardware would not support it. There must be hardware and software components. I'm not 100% convinced myself, but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Correct - you would need a Pre-compliant host driver. Also, you would need a USB socket that's powered (500 mw).
    Kupe, I think you meant 500mA, which, at 5V, would give you 2.5W.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer