Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    Who's for this? I was of course interested in the new technology: the Pre WebOS, and the Cloud.

    But something has come up. I was looking through Google for some very important info that I knew was there and I'd already viewed a week ago, but now the info and site have been removed!

    Also, on Youtube some explosive info Videos had been taken down.

    Finally, my email isp had some glitches and was not working, and I coundn't get my stored text in draft. Well these three examples say to me that the "Pre" is going in a dangerous direction!

    Meaning do you really want to trust important, maybe even critical information that you depend on to the Cloud! Not to mention information that the powers that be, Governments Media etc don't want people to know or have, all to let a third party go: "Oops"! ...."We Lost It"?

    This "Pre" using WebOS and the Cloud? Come On!! Who's For This!
  2. #2  
    It's totally up to you. All information is bound to be less secure when transferred over the net or stored there. Take the risk or get a phone that keeps your data locally.
  3. #3  
    Hey, it works for Twitter.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac0Linux View Post
    Hey, it works for Twitter.
    HaHa
  5. #5  
    hmmm you know what this i can say...

    I would rather trust my PIMs to Palm than to Google.
  6. #6  
    Are you asking trust as in "security" or as in "reliable"? I doubt there's a problem with reliability of storage. Google is a large company with a repuation of accuracy to uphold. If they start losing people's contact information, losing customers will be a consequence that quickly follows. Storing my data ther eis probably more reliable than on my PC. Ever had a hard disk crash and lose everything? Not fun. Moving videos or other stuff on google web search is not the same thing as your information. You cannot compare the two things.
  7. #7  
    I find it hard to beleive anyone would want thier company, company documents, employee records on the web. If you have a large corporation and an It staff, maybe. However, any small business would be out of their mind to do it. It is hard enough to protect yourself from your own employee's let alone someone elses, and the hackers, Virus thrill seekers. If one more compny explains to me they are encripted and have high level of security, I will throw up.
    Countrywide employee sold my id, what a mess that was to clean up.
    I can not wait to see the lawsuits.........The attorney's that are being laid off, will shortly have all the employment they can stand!
  8. #8  
    The twitter incident was due to some ***** using a very weak password. I would suggest that if you use a strong password and reasonable precautions (like don't leave your gmail logged in at a public computer), that "the cloud" is a MUCH safer place to keep your data than your home.

    What's more likely, that The Man will convince Google to help steal your email, or that someone will break into your house and walk out with your computer? That your house will burn down or that all of Google's data centers in the world will burn down?

    As far as small businesses go, those are exactly the businesses that are adopting "cloud" computing, since it's much less expensive and doesn't require a large IT staff, not the other way around.

    Besides, if it's so dangerous you have a lot more to worry about than your PIM information, since most banks, hospitals, and governments are using some form of web-based technology.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rottie2005 View Post
    I find it hard to beleive anyone would want thier company, company documents, employee records on the web. If you have a large corporation and an It staff, maybe. However, any small business would be out of their mind to do it. It is hard enough to protect yourself from your own employee's let alone someone elses, and the hackers, Virus thrill seekers. If one more compny explains to me they are encripted and have high level of security, I will throw up.
    Countrywide employee sold my id, what a mess that was to clean up.
    I can not wait to see the lawsuits.........The attorney's that are being laid off, will shortly have all the employment they can stand!
    Amen.

    I'd say a few million Americans feel your pain! ...and then some.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    ....
    I have my own exchange server, so control "my cloud". I think you're going to see more and more options like this
    ....
    Probably a good thing to do for that concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobraextreme View Post
    .... The Man will convince Google to help steal your email, or that someone will break into your house and walk out with your computer? That your house will burn down or that all of Google's data centers in the world will burn down?....
    I'm use the above point to say this.
    My main concern is removing of documents. The concern is of Cloud third pary in control of access "losing" site documents and or videos etc.

    We're talking about info that could lose you your job as example, because you didn't know info you trusted to some "Cloud" was going to be that important later. OR, info that may stop a war: Oh, maybe some Documents and pictures showing there is or were no Nuclear Weapon's; say in some country?

    Google only has the "sensitive" info that they do "still" have along with Youtube that powers or general negative forces would rather not be accessable, ONLY because you do have copies in your Phones and on hard drives at home or in your own possession as a off-set stalemate.

    Many documents and Videos are pulled down and banned, I and many groups find they are some of the most important and explosive proof and infornmation events usually.

    But if the "Pre" and the Cloud take over, get ready for statments like...
    "What Documents"! "There was no proof"! Etc...

    But some will say we slid into surfdom: "Nice "Pre" Cloud Phone."
    Last edited by positron; 07/28/2009 at 01:50 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    Wow, steal email etc?
    We're talking about info that could lose you your job as example, because you didn't know info you trusted to some "Cloud" was going to be that important later. OR, info that may stop a war. Google only has the "sensitive" info that they do "still" have along with Youtube that powers or general negative forces would rather not be accessable, ONLY because you do have copies in your Phones and on hard drives at home or in your own possession as a off-set stalemate.

    Give all to the webOS "Pre" devices and Cloud, it's over!

    "What Documents"! "There was no proof"! Etc...

    Nice "Pre" Cloud Phone.
    Wtf was this, this gets my vote as the most confusing and stupid post yet on this forum.
  12. SharonW's Avatar
    Posts
    402 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    Who's for this? I was of course interested in the new technology: the Pre WebOS, and the Cloud.

    But something has come up. I was looking through Google for some very important info that I knew was there and I'd already viewed a week ago, but now the info and site have been removed!

    Also, on Youtube some explosive info Videos had been taken down.

    Finally, my email isp had some glitches and was not working, and I coundn't get my stored text in draft. Well these three examples say to me that the "Pre" is going in a dangerous direction!

    Meaning do you really want to trust important, maybe even critical information that you depend on to the Cloud! Not to mention information that the powers that be, Governments Media etc don't want people to know or have, all to let a third party go: "Oops"! ...."We Lost It"?

    This "Pre" using WebOS and the Cloud? Come On!! Who's For This!
    Right. Google's got better backups with server farms spread across the globe than your average computer or cell phone user.

    In essence you're saying that everybody should NOT rely on their Hotmail, Yahoo, gMail or whatever accounts when for more than a decade millions have been using them without problems.

    If a document is THAT important, you never, ever rely on a single source whether on the net or on your computer.

    Otherwise, go live in a cave.
  13. #13  
    Just fyi, some business execs wipe their phone before flying. The also pull the battery in important meetings so the phone cannot be tapped in to and listened in on. Onstar is another example of this.

    So take that for what you will. Otherside of that coin is if someone wants to sabatoge your company etc.... They will find a way
  14. #14  
    Of course, this forum is in the "cloud." As is every single Web and email server, given that the "cloud" is really just another name for the "Internet."

    Accordingly, Yahoo! email, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL, every ISP email server, every corporate email server, etc., are all in the "cloud." Maybe your connection to those email servers is secured via SSL, maybe not, but everyone who sends and receives email to and from you may or may not be connected via SSL and you have no way of knowing. And so even if you've taken steps to protect your own connections, every email you send has the potential to be relayed anywhere else with no security whatsoever.

    If someone wants to find out something about you, they can get more from your garbage than they can from your Pre. Do you shred every document you put in the trash? Bills, bank statements, credit card applications, junk mail of all sorts? Personal letters (if you still get those)? What about every credit card transaction you do, particularly at restaurants? Do you make sure that nobody is writing down your information and selling it off? Physical security is, of course, the most important, and yet most people don't seem terribly concerned about that. No, they worry about connecting their Pre to the "cloud" instead.

    Yeesh, it's utterly ridiculous to worry about sending and receiving information via a smartphone when there are vast databases out there with your name and medical, financial, and other information already stored in them. And, modern civilization wouldn't function without it, so I'd stop worrying about such silly things and get on with your life.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    ...
    This "Pre" using WebOS and the Cloud? Come On!! Who's For This!
    I have my own exchange server, so control "my cloud". I think you're going to see more and more options like this.

    I also have a gmail account. I use that for some things, my personal server for important things. If gmail screws up, no big loss.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rottie2005 View Post
    I find it hard to beleive anyone would want thier company, company documents, employee records on the web.
    ...
    You may find it "hard to believe", but it's a reality. Novell's GroupWise has had web access to their document management system for years, Microsft developed Sharepoint to included document management tools.

    I just left a company a few months ago that has gone just about 100% "virtual". Their patient records, employee files, everything they do is available via the web (securely, it took a lot of work though.) Most of the employees work from home. Their phones are IP phones that they answer just as if they were sitting in the office.

    It's a brave new world...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    ...
    What about every credit card transaction you do, particularly at restaurants? Do you make sure that nobody is writing down your information and selling it off? Physical security is, of course, the most important, and yet most people don't seem terribly concerned about that. No, they worry about connecting their Pre to the "cloud" instead.

    Yeesh, it's utterly ridiculous to worry about sending and receiving information via a smartphone when there are vast databases out there with your name and medical, financial, and other information already stored in them. And, modern civilization wouldn't function without it, so I'd stop worrying about such silly things and get on with your life.
    Great points. My favorite are the people that will never fill out a web base form because of fears of information being stolen, but then will give their credit card to a sub-minimum wage employee to take unattended into a back room.

    Folks need to take reasonable precautions, but we can't live in a cave.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    ....
    I have my own exchange server, so control "my cloud". I think you're going to see more and more options like this
    ....
    Probably a good thing to do for that concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobraextreme View Post
    .... The Man will convince Google to help steal your email, or that someone will break into your house and walk out with your computer? That your house will burn down or that all of Google's data centers in the world will burn down?....
    I'm using the above point to say this.
    My main concern is the removing of documents. The concern is of Cloud third pary in control of access "losing" site documents and or videos etc.

    We're talking about info that could lose you your job as example, because you didn't know info you trusted to some "Cloud" was going to be that important later.

    OR, info that may stop a war: Oh, maybe some Documents and pictures showing there is or were no Nuclear Weapon's; say in some country?

    Google only has the "sensitive" info that they do "still" have, along with Youtube that powers or general negative forces would rather not be accessable, ONLY because you do have copies in your Phones and on hard drives at home or in your own possession as a off-set stalemate!

    Many documents and Videos are pulled down and banned quite often. I and many groups find they are usually some of the most important and explosive proof of events, and of important infornmation.

    I say we must keep the stalemate in place with info in our phones and hard drives.

    But if the "Pre" and the Cloud take over, get ready for statments like...
    "What Documents"! "There was no proof"! Etc...

    But some will say we as slide into surfdom: "Nice "Pre" Cloud Phone."
    Last edited by positron; 07/28/2009 at 02:40 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    ...
    I'm use the above point to say this.
    My main concern is removing of documents. The concern is of Cloud third pary in control of access "losing" site documents and or videos etc.

    We're talking about info that could lose you your job as example, because you didn't know info you trusted to some "Cloud" was going to be that important later. OR, info that may stop a war: Oh, maybe some Documents and pictures showing there is or were no Nuclear Weapon's; say in some country?
    ...
    But isn't just about all of it "third party"? If you have your documents stored on your corporate server, unless you're the IT guy (or gal), it's handled by a "third party" (that being the IT department).

    Is that really more reliable? How about the folks that have access to the files, you know, co workers. Are they really that trustworthy?

    Did you know that it's estimated that over 80% of computer hacking is done internally?

    Things worth pondering...
  20. #20  
    Your documents can be hacked and stolen whether they're on your desktop or whether they're on the web. Desktop applications these days are getting increasingly connected to the web just to function. The remedy for this is strong encryption, certificate authorities, role-based security, and your good old login and password verification. You cannot compare this to putting all your stuff on a table at the park and walking away, it's more like taking your stuff and putting it in a lock box at a bank. If a company like Google or Microsoft or Palm abused their ability and spied on their customers, you'd see a massive class action lawsuit. They don't want that, you don't want that (unless you are a lawyer). That's the way it is.

    The only question you should have is how well locked is that lock box? Can someone with another lock box get into your lock box? How easy is it to break that lock? What's the backup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions