Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well...I have!!! During one of NY's now frequent and violent thunderstorms on Sunday night, I got out of my car forgetting that my treasured Pre was in my lap. So imagine my shock and dismay when my Pre was lying screen down in a 1/2" of water!!! Picked it up as quick as I could, surprisingly in ONE piece, with a small ding on the bottom right corner and screen INTACT!!! I could not believe it. Dried it off best I could, called my buddy to tell him of the horror, and the CALL WENT THROUGH! Only issue was, with the volume turned all the way up, I could hardly hear him through the earpiece. He advised me to open up the back of the phone, remove the battery, and let everything air out...which I did. Later on, tried to make a call...same problem. Here's where it gets interesting. Put my baby on the Touchstone. After "cooking" (you KNOW how hot it gets!) for fifteen minutes and really drying the phone out (I guess), all is PERFECT now. I have a new found love for this thing I hadn't had before. Kudos to Palm for producing such a high quality handset. Now if only I can get all the stuff back I loved about my Treo 755p and they come out with an update to fix the annoying lag, this thing would be puuuuurfect.....................
    leave it in a bowl of rice for a night
    In the future....if you submerge your phone in water, as quickly as possible remove the battery and set your phone down for at least 24 hours before trying to use it.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    1. Immediately pull the batery
    2. With the batery cover off and the keyboard extended
    Shake off as much water as you can.
    3. As soon as you can, dry it with a hair dryer on medium.
    4. Wrap it in a paper towel and but it in a zip lock bag,
    Cover it completely with rice, seal it.
    5. Let it sit for at least 24 hrs.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by tonyv69; 07/27/2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Nope but it has been dropped to a cement floor and is still working great (not too dinged up either.) Glad that yours is still working
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    glad to hear the pre can handle some water contact, but i'm curious too see if it still works after its completely submerged.
    This is more difficult than the rice but you can take a plastic electrical box with a lid that seals tight and put a line tap in it then attach a vacuum pump and let it run for a while. It'll be as good as new and even turn the sticker(that changes color when wet) back to its original color. I'm in the HVAC field so these item are easily accessible for me.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Isn't the pre supposed to have a humidity or water sensor to disable it if it gets too wet? That way you can bring it back later.
  9. kjb
    You need to buy a lottery ticket!!
    Keith
    Now we know why the Hotplate, er, Touchstone gets the Pre so hot.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roor View Post
    glad to hear the pre can handle some water contact, but i'm curious too see if it still works after its completely submerged.

This device was not designed to be submerged.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks. The buddy I called said the same...but...er uh...I had already called him! lol
    Honestly was freaking out, didn't know what to do. Thank God for insurance, which I have, just in case. But who wants to spend $100 on a deductible???
  13.    #13  
    Thought the same. My guess would be "no"...'cause then you have speaker phone, maybe even camera issues.
  14.    #14  
    I immediately thought the same...thank God for insurance, just in case, which I recommend to EVERYone here, for obvious reasons!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtkwol View Post
    Isn't the pre supposed to have a humidity or water sensor to disable it if it gets too wet? That way you can bring it back later.
    These don't disable anything, just indicate that it got wet, to control what type of coverage you should get for repairing the phone.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    You need to buy a lottery ticket!!
    Keith
    Now THAT's a good idea!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    In the future....if you submerge your phone in water, as quickly as possible remove the battery and set your phone down for at least 24 hours before trying to use it.
    Thanks. The buddy I called said the same...but...er uh...I had already called him! lol
    Honestly was freaking out, didn't know what to do. Thank God for insurance, which I have, just in case. But who wants to spend $100 on a deductible???
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by roor View Post
    Thought the same. My guess would be "no"...'cause then you have speaker phone, maybe even camera issues.
    i dropped mine yesterday about 4 feet high from my hand to solid pavement... one small ding, all works fine didnt even shut the phone off
    Bout a month ago. Long story, short version- PRE vs. Total submersion=........ Exactly what you would expect, a dead & wet PRE. didn't know of the rice trick till later, but would not power on at all. After 3-4 days, power would come on but screen was black w/a tiny bit of backlight, but that was it. Hello, Asurion? Yeah....I'm gonna need you to go ahead and send me a new PRE, k?.... Greeaat.

Cue the nightmare of making a PRE claim w/ Asurion. Buth that's another story. I will give some advice for anybody going through Asurion for a replacement PRE.
    1st. Calm down, they are going to send you a replacement.

2. Its not going to be "quick & easy" like they say on website. There's sworn affidavits to fax in, I'd verification. Plus I think there's a total staff of 1 at Asurion.

3. While being patient and polite, STAY ON THEIR ***! If you fax something, it takes almost a full business day for them to even be able to tell you it was received. Pray it all shows up the 1st time.

4. Oh, and one more thing, when you fax your license, make SURE its not expired. B/c they won't take it.

Lastly, once you get the paperwork in to their total satisfaction, they ship your PRE immediately, & they ship it next day air.

Just in case anyone was wondering, my replacement PRE was NEW, with battery and all accessories. return bag actually says "phone only, do not place battery or accessories in return bag". So -$100, +brand new PRE, and 2nd set of all acces.

Todays lesson- Don't totally submerge your PRE in anything but a leather case. And thank god you paid for TEP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast