Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I won't bore you with my pre-history or my exchange stories. Today I have a simple question about the gap that separates the 2 parts of the phone.

I keep reading about 1mm and 2mm etc. but what if one side has a bigger gap than the other?

Yesterday i noticed while holding my phone that the screen was squeaking. It never did this before.

after a quick look, i noticed that the top left corner of my screen had a slightly bigger gap than the rest of the phone, actually its about twice as much (considering the rest of the phone has no gap at all).

when I press down on the right side of the phone, nothing happens, it feels solid. When i press down on the left side, i notice the screen has some give, causing it to squeak as it moves up and down. When i press down on the top left corner (where the service provider name is, also where i notice the most gap) it squeaks and then clicks as if its snapping back into place. After a second or 2 the top corner pops back up again, revealing the gap and what looks like some clips on the inside of the phone.

This isn't really effecting the way i use the phone, but i'm scared its just going to get worse cause it definitely didn't do this when i exchanged the phone about a week ago.

I have like 2 days left on my 30day. I'd rather not exchange it again if other people noticing the same thing. I compared it to my dads pre (which has a bigger gap) but it seems to be the same all the way around. His doesn't snap like mine does. I want to know if its an issue i should be concerned about or if i'm just being paranoid. but every time i pick up my phone now, its the first thing i notice and its quite annoying.

I considered taking it into the repair center, but then i remembered that they aren't even allowed to work on the phone. I'm scared to do it myself cause last time i took off my battery case, it was loose when i put it back on.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    anyone?...
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Mine has the exact same thing.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    lol, thanks.
    mine too!
    Mines perfect.....
    Mine has that too.... when i press down on the left side its solid, the right side squeeks and its kind of annoying.... i'm getting used to it and i've contemplated trying to fix it myself or taking it in.... anyone else have this experience?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yes. This is the exact same thing on mine.
    However, my dad's Pre does not have this problem. His slider and everything else is perfect. He bought it on launch day; I bought mine a week or two after.
    Mine has a small gap and when i push on it the gap closes, however mine doesnt "Click" or "pop" when I press it I also have the oreo effect and the phone moves a couple cm when I push it but it doesnt really bother me that much because the phone works 100 percent otherwise. I figure if I have any other problems later down the road I will just use this as another reason for a claim on Sprint's insurance.
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    i decided to take out the battery and see if i could see what was causing the issue. Maybe it was simply a loose screw.

to my disappointment there are screws on every corner except the one that is loose. where the screw should be, there is a VERY small palm logo, but nothing to tighten.... and now my battery cover squeaks ._.

I'd like to see a few more responses before going in for an exchange.

this sucks, the gap seems to be getting worse.
    yes when i push on my screen on the right side it presses down and "clicks"..... would like to see other responses as well
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roor View Post
    i decided to take out the battery and see if i could see what was causing the issue. Maybe it was simply a loose screw.

to my disappointment there are screws on every corner except the one that is loose. where the screw should be, there is a VERY small palm logo, but nothing to tighten.... and now my battery cover squeaks ._.

I'd like to see a few more responses before going in for an exchange.

this sucks, the gap seems to be getting worse.
    In another thread I was trying to fix it.
    Everything seems to be in place.... except there's a screw missing. Where it should be is the Palm Logo.

According to leftyman (who fixed his with superglue):

"the piece of paper with the Palm logo on it is a QC label...its covering a screw that has nothing to do with tightening the slider..."

I broke it, thinking the screw under there could be tightened to fix my problem, lol.
    By the way, my phone does click sometimes when I press the area with the gap.
    But you know what... since all these people seem to have the same problem, I've stopped worrying about it.
    I have a similar setup where the gap on the right side is bigger than the one on the left. But it doesnt squeak and I have had no issues since 6-6-9.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Make sprint fix all that mess, there are tech's at the stores. They work on phones and if they can't fix it, they'll replace your phone free. The phone comes with a manufactures warrenty also. So you have options here
    I got the gap on the left side of my cell it squeaks too either that or its the battery cover, overall not a big problem. not sure if I can get it exchanged for that, I'm over my 30 period. Sucks tho my pre doesn't feel solid and I got the oreo effect pretty bad.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmireles03 View Post
    Make sprint fix all that mess, there are tech's at the stores. They work on phones and if they can't fix it, they'll replace your phone free. The phone comes with a manufactures warrenty also. So you have options here
    I can't exchange. I'm over 30 day period.
    Sprint Repair, as I hear from this forum, can't fix oreo twists or stuff like this (yet?).
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    As of right now, service and repair can't go any further into the phone than removing the battery.

Again, just to clarify, my pre doesn't have ANY oreo/swivel. This thread is specifically aimed towards the gap itself, and the clicking that follows by adding pressure to 'close' the gap.

Even though I still find it annoying, by looking at the responses i'm getting, i'm not the only one. Therefore, I'm accepting the issue as 'normal'. I don't feel like dealing with sprint again just to get another phone with similar/worse problems.

thankyou.