Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    So, I purchased my first pre at launch date and returned it because the laminate on the top left corner began to peel off and the slider was "grindy" making it difficult and rather annoying to slide open. I received a refurbished phone on July 14 which appeard ok; slight oreo and gap on left side. However, low and behold...today this pre's laminate is starting to peel in the exact same spot as my previous one and the slider is starting to grind a bit; where do these problems end?

I really like the pre but I'm starting to lose faith So far I've paid 300 bucks for a refurbished phone and now I'm gonna have to return this one and hope my next one won't be defective. I know a vocal minority has posted lots of threads regarding pre hardware defects, but now I'm starting to listen more to these threads. Based on my own personal experience I don't think I could recommend the pre to someone in good conscience knowing what I know now.

I will try once more with the pre and see if a third time's a charm; if not...Iphone 3gs here I come; along with being bent over a barrel by ATT.
    Last edited by PreBro132; 07/27/2009 at 04:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm sorry to hear that.

I've had 3 so far, and my 3rd seemed to be flawless at first. however yesterday i noticed a slight gap in the top left corner, when i push down on the screen it seems to snap into place, but after a few seconds it pops back up again. Its quite annoying, but i dunno if its worth returning again.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    My second pre did that and I asked the clerk "is it supposed to do that?" he looked at it, pressed down on the top left corner and said..."yes it is" I gave him a sarcastic look and just shook my head. He quickly changed the subject. For me the worst part of this whole thing is: I really, really like the phone...if it were only not a slider (or had the slider work flawlessly) it would be perfect for me. I played with an Iphone 3gs on Friday at the Apple store and man oh man...pretty nice. Great build quality, internet very fast, snappy response when browsing through different applications. Oh well...one more try with the pre and we'll see what happens. I've also been with sprint since 2002; which makes it even harder to even consider leaving
    I would remove the "I'm gonna leave Sprint to get the Iphone 3GS" from your post. Otherwise, this is an ok thread. You don't come across as helpful, though, when you mention the 3gs. Just my two 1/4 euro's
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    What is wrong with stating my plans if my next pre is defective? I realize there is some anti iphone sediment on these boards but that sounds more like a personal problem/preference with a competing device. Besides, the iphone is the only other phone that currently provides what I want from a smartphone. What's the big deal with stating that?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Can you explain what "laminate" started peeling?

I'm not sure I find anything that can peel.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    Can you explain what "laminate" started peeling?

I'm not sure I find anything that can peel.
    ive seen it in some pictures, its just the Finnish that is put on the phone.

one guy said it was peeling after he left his pre out in the sun.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roor View Post

one guy said it was peeling after he left his pre out in the sun.
    Exactly
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I'm sorry to hear that.

I've had 3 so far, and my 3rd seemed to be flawless at first. however yesterday i noticed a slight gap in the top left corner, when i push down on the screen it seems to snap into place, but after a few seconds it pops back up again. Its quite annoying, but i dunno if its worth returning again.
    Same problem with mine.
    This is absurd; I'm losing faith because this hardware is ridiculous.

I have a gap and a slight oreo twist.
    There's also a bleed at the bottom center, but that I can deal with.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Same problem with mine.
    This is absurd; I'm losing faith because this hardware is ridiculous.

I have a gap and a slight oreo twist.
    There's also a bleed at the bottom center, but that I can deal with.
    I don't think it's okay that we have to deal with any defects from a brand new phone...
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBro132 View Post
    So, I purchased my first pre at launch date and returned it because the laminate on the top left corner began to peel off and the slider was "grindy" making it difficult and rather annoying to slide open.

This is sad. I am curious, though, what part of the country do you live in? The laminate shouldn't be coming off, period, but this could be a heat related issue that Palm should have done more testing on.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    the palm pre is a test device for WebOS. Hopefully palm will focus a little more on hardware next time around.. unfortunately, the rest of us are stuck with this pos for now.
    I have to agree with some of the other posters here. I started with two Pre's. One has been replaced 3 times, the other one twice. WEB-OS is king but the hardware is utter crap.

Its crazy to spend $200.00 on a new phone and have it self destruct as you watch it. Can't use it when its hot or the case peels, can't use it when its cold. I like my ore-o's with ice cold milk and not a twisting phone. I have had bad pixels, a battery that lasts less than two hours, etc.

I don't blame the poster for wanting to look at an IPhone 3GS. The hardware is amazing even if you don't like Apple or AT&T. When I think of AT&T I think of Rollerball (James Caan version) and I shudder. I will not deal with them at least until they buy Sprint.

I can just imagine John Houseman standing up in his Box at the Rollerball Stadium with a 3GS in one hand and a Pre in the other screaming "THIS IS NOT A GAME" LOL

I work in the PC business and its the same old stuff. Microsoft people hate Apple. Apple people hate Microsoft and Linux people hate everybody.

It's just a phone people, not something you want to get into a fight about. Use what you want, buy what you want.

For the moment, I will keep my Pre. I have the insurance and it does have a one year warranty. I will get it replaced as much as needed. My one hope is that just like when my old Treo 650 died, Sprint replaced it with a 755P. So maybe in a year or so if Palm survives, I will get a Pre II as a replacement.
    I feel everyones pain I'm on my 5th Pre and so far this one seems OK (hardware wise), but I am really starting to get tired of all the lies from the Sprint stores and Tele Service. I love the software since it is definately fun to use and very easy to navigate. BUT, if this keeps up I will just end up paying the $200.00 cancelation fee just to switch to a diff. Phone/Provider. And if it ends up being the iphone so be it. The only problems I have is I've allready bought alot of accessories and all my friends and family are on Sprint. Well best of luck to the rest and don't let anyone tell you that they cannot replace your phone with a new one. NO ONE HERE HAS PAID 300.00 Dollars of a Refurbished phone last I checked! Especially if the Damb thing can't even last longer than 3 weeks without having a Problem.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    This is sad. I am curious, though, what part of the country do you live in? The laminate shouldn't be coming off, period, but this could be a heat related issue that Palm should have done more testing on.
    I live in the sweltering heat of Seattle!
    Anyone else find this funny? No? Just me? hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by YBCold View Post
    I feel everyones pain I'm on my 5th Pre and so far this one seems OK (hardware wise), but I am really starting to get tired of all the lies from the Sprint stores and Tele Service. I love the software since it is definately fun to use and very easy to navigate. BUT, if this keeps up I will just end up paying the $200.00 cancelation fee just to switch to a diff. Phone/Provider. And if it ends up being the iphone so be it. The only problems I have is I've allready bought alot of accessories and all my friends and family are on Sprint. Well best of luck to the rest and don't let anyone tell you that they cannot replace your phone with a new one. NO ONE HERE HAS PAID 300.00 Dollars of a Refurbished phone last I checked! Especially if the Damb thing can't even last longer than 3 weeks without having a Problem.

Dang 5th Pre??? I give you props man for sticking with it. Theres no way I would return something 4 times and still want the same device. Luckily I am on my 1st pre with no real major problems YET, a little oreo effect but what pre doesnt have that ya kno. So cheers to sticking around!!
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    Anyone else find this funny? No? Just me? hehe
    Yes. Finland has never been known for it's shiny phones.
    Yeah, clearly the Pre is no masterpiece when it comes to build quality--but when compared to most HTC phones, it's pretty damn good. I can't wait for v2.0 of WebOS hardware... I'm in it for the long-haul.. I love being able to modify the OS quickly and easily.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I too, would like to stick it out because I feel that the pre has so much potential. I'm gonna go to the sprint in the next couple days and explain to them that they bounced another defective/refurbished device to me. I think if I can get through this horrible period I will be happy I stayed...Although, part of me does fantasize about smashing my defective pre over a sprint reps head
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast