Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    So, I entered in my new dentist today into contacts. Both the name field and the company name field have "San Pedro Dental Associates" in it.

When I do a global search, I find it when I enter "San", "Pedro", and "Assoc". However, if I use the word "Dental", even completely spelled out, search doesn't pick it up. Wha? Why won't it pick up that word?
    It may be a problem in the code where universal search only looks for the middle word by searching for the first word after the first space.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Well, I posted the same on the Palm forums, and here's what I got:

The issue you're describing is not really a bug, it's a limitation of the search engine on the device. Under the "Name" field it will only recognize 3 names (first, middle and last) even though it appears to be all one field. It sees Associates as the last name and then picks up the first 2, dropping Dental. When you put San Pedro Dental Associates under the "Company" field, the search is limited to the beginning letters of the company name (Starting with S, then A, etc.) You cannot search a second, third or fourth name under company field. This is also a feature limitation of the search engine. Both have been submitted as a feature addition request on our end. You may also want to do the same at www.palm.com\feedback Hope this explains the issue to you.
    I guess the Universal Search is a little more complicated of a beast than a simple text matching algorithm. It does seem sorta strange that they would only search on the first characters in the company field, but I guess they had to draw the line somewhere.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Thanks for posting. That was an interesting bit of info. I tested this out on my phone and I get the same results. I have several airlines contact info (United Airlines, Delta Airlines, etc) as well as Air Canada in my contacts, but when I search "air" I only get Air Canada.

Having been involved in developing search algorithms I can tell you that it is a complicated "beast", depending on variables in the data being searched. I suspect that this limitation was a trade-off to try to return more relevant results and less "noise".
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    Well, I posted the same on the Palm forums, and here's what I got:

I guess the Universal Search is a little more complicated of a beast than a simple text matching algorithm. It does seem sorta strange that they would only search on the first characters in the company field, but I guess they had to draw the line somewhere.
    That doesn't really seem complicated at all. The name field is most normally a person's name. I have friends who go by their middle name so universal search finding Freddie Louis Shaw is very convenient when I'm searching for Louis (what we all call him).

On the other hand. A company name is more straight-forward. If I have General Electric, I wouldn't expect that to come up when I search on Electric. I think the only reason it seems odd in your one case is that you're using the name field to put something that's not a person's name at all.

BTW. Just like with PalmOS, in WebOS Contacts app, you can omitt fields that you don't have information for and it will still work just fine. For example, any companies with which I have associations, but no main point of contact, I simply omitt the name field. (E.g. Citibank). Since there's no value in the name field, Contacts uses the company field and Citibank appears in the C's.