Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Let me preface this post by saying a few things:
    -Yes, this is a post about returning/exchanging my 1 week old Pre;
    -Yes, I have read through similar posts;
    -I would appreciate honest answers from everyone.

My Pre twists slightly when closed, but not when open. I have heard people say that their Pre is perfectly fine. However, we all know that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and that they may just want to say their Pre is fine. Or, the case may be that their Pre is "perfect" according to their standards. "Perfect," as I believe it to be defined, means no defect at all. No twisting, no discoloration, no dead pixels.

My Pre has no discoloration, no dead pixels, but it twists a bit when closed - more than I want it to. I am considering exchanging it for a new one. Does anyone have a Pre that doesn't twist at all? Let me be clear that this means there is no twist whatsoever - not even a millimeter of movement.

I truly appreciate your feedback.
    A little twist is good for shock absorbing. Too much twist is good for milk dunking.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    A little twist is good for shock absorbing. Too much twist is good for milk dunking.
    Bingo. I already tried dunking my phone in milk.

So, yours twists a bit I'm assuming?
    Quote Originally Posted by kpozan View Post
    Bingo. I already tried dunking my phone in milk.

So, yours twists a bit I'm assuming?
    Mine twists very little and I am totally fine with it. However, I have seen a few that twist a ton. It is not worth trying to fix it. Go back and exchange it for sure if it your Pre is a stunt double for an Oreo cookie.
    My current Pre has a tiny bit of twist, but my first one would twist about 5 millimeters and even click into place. A store is holding one for me, so I'm going to exchange one more time as long as the new one has less twist than my current one.

If you take your battery out and look at the sliding mechanics, you will see that it's a pretty simple design that is prone to twist more and more as time goes on. This is my first slider phone so I don't know how other phones hold up or how they're designed.

Whether a little twist or not, I'm happy with the phone.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    If it doesn't have a tini-tiny bit of wiggle, then it means it could be so tight that it's hard to open or is putting stress on some of the plastic guide rails. It should have the slightest amount of wiggle that will allow it to slide up and down without causing significant amount of friction. Otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to open it with one hand.

Mine moves maybe a half a millimeter and has a tiny rattling sound when i wiggle it back and forth from the plastic rails. It only rattles if i grab both halves and wiggle them myself. I would believe this to be normal.

Mine is a launch day model.
    If you don't have any other problems and the "twist" is minimal, then keep it. As far as I know, they all have at least a little play.
    I don't believe you will achieve "no twisting" with a slide out keyboard device - any slid out keyboard device. I just wiggled the drawer that my keyboard sits on in my office, and it probably has 1.5" of play. That would be too much on my Pre. i probably have half a mil when opened or closed. I don't consider that a problem.

None of the other problems I've heard people report.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I'm very happy with the phone, also. However, it makes me nervous that the phone does not feel very sturdy. I searched Google to see if there were issues with other sliders, but I came up empty-handed each time. When I searched for issues with the Pre sliding mechanism, I came up with an alarming amount of results. This worries me.

In general, I love webOS (coming from a BlackBerry, webOS is king), but the phone just seems like junk. Yes, it is a first generation device, but so was the Touch Pro and the G1, and there aren't a multitude of complaints about the sliding mechanism on either of those phones, or the build quality in general. Doesn't this bother anyone else? It sure doesn't make me happy.

Also, as a side note, my phone was produced on July 13.
    mine doesn't "twist" it jiggles less than half a millimeter
    so no
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I know about 6 people with this phone. Every phone has a little bit of twist,every slider I have had does. I retuned 2 so far.one because of the screen did work and one for the twist. The first one was really bad and would get stuck open.

Keep your phone,if in six months it gets bad you can always drop it in water and file an insurance claim.

Once I stopped worring about the twist I began to appreciate the pre for the awesome piece of technology it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoa2000 View Post
    Keep your phone,if in six months it gets bad you can always drop it in water and file an insurance claim.
    Nothing quite like advocating insurance fraud.
    I have total movement of less than 1 mm at the top of the phone from max counter-clockwise twist to max clockwise twist. But it does twist a little more than it did when I first got it on launch day. As DesertSilver said, looking at the mechanics, it's going to twist a little bit, that's just a natural part of the way it's designed. 5mm is too much absolutely. 1mm or less is not that big a deal, and just something we'll have to live with based on this mechanical design.

Considering the tradeoffs in the design process, they clearly went for lightweight. Had they attached the rails top and bottom in addition to left and right, there would have been more leverage to keep the twist from happening. But that would have taken more space and weight (rails would have needed to be longer to accomodate the extra attachment). It's not perfect, but it's a valid design decision to make in my opinion. This guy had to be thin, light, and small. A G1-like bulk machine would have been a killer for the Pre's intended market.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Umm...I knew an owner of the Touch Pro and, yes, it did have play in the sliding mechanism. In fact, it got so bad that it broke one of the 'rails'. He was still able to use the phone as a phone, but the slide out keyboard did not work. Since he used the phone for texting, it was useless to him after that.

Personally, I don't believe most of the *****ing i see about the Pre. If the phone were truly THAT bad, Palm would have been forced to issue a recall or, at least, publicly acknowledge a problem and offer some kind of rectification of the problem.

Every slider I've seen has play in the mechanism, if not initially then after some use. It is the nature of the beast.
    I find that if I dont "twist" it... it doesnt...TWIST...

If your phone is "twisting" on ITS OWN.. i'd say thats cool and you should keep it...
    mine will twist about 1mm.. again to me that's so small doesn't bother me at all.. and it only does it if I force it to twist...
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre since launch June 6th. No problems whatsoever with twist, dead pixels, etc. However, i do have entire text message convesrations that keep disappearing, but that's thats another subject.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    After a few exchanges I finally got a pre that doesn't twist, just jiggles around a little bit.

However, i'm curious if anyone is having a slightly similar issue. yesterday i noticed that the top left corner has about twice the amount of gap the rest of the phone does. if i push down on any part of the screen, nothing happens, it feels solid. But when i push down on the top corner, it squeaks and finally clicks as if its snapping back into place, but after a second or 2, the screen pops back up again revealing a gap. It's not effecting the way i use the phone at all, but its quite annoying.
    I got used to the twist, doesn't bother me anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by roor View Post
    After a few exchanges I finally got a pre that doesn't twist, just jiggles around a little bit.

However, i'm curious if anyone is having a slightly similar issue. yesterday i noticed that the top left corner has about twice the amount of gap the rest of the phone does. if i push down on any part of the screen, nothing happens, it feels solid. But when i push down on the top corner, it squeaks and finally clicks as if its snapping back into place, but after a second or 2, the screen pops back up again revealing a gap. It's not effecting the way i use the phone at all, but its quite annoying.
    I had one like that, with a couple stuck pixels. took it back and got another that has no clicking, solid build. Best Buy was great. Altough, on this one I have several stuck pixels and some white screen blotches. Only one of the stuck pixels is noticeable in dark apps or wallpapers. The screen blocthes when watching you-tube. Neither had much wiggle at all. nothing out of the ordinary.

I may go back in a try again. Who knows, I may get lucky.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast