Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kpozan View Post
    Oh, I absolutely want one for the Pre. The battery life is putrid. We were talking about the removable vs. non-removable batter for the Unibody MacBook Pro. Laptops on average get 3 hours of battery life. The Unibody MacBook Pro with a removable battery averages 4.5 hours (I own it, and that's what I get), and the new Unibody MacBook Pro without a removable battery get 8 hours. For a laptop, that's amazing.
    Oh sorry. But it's not just battery life tho, my deal is battery lifetime. It may start out getting 8 hours when it's new, but I have to wonder how long that will last.

I've got an iPod video, that I used to use on travel, that's in great shape other than the battery that doesn't last more than an hour or two. Not much use as portable player anymore. Same with the Gen 1 iPod that's docked to my home receiver. Tried to use in on my motorcycle a couple of times and it's worthless as a portable. So I can either go down to the Mac store and pay them a bunch of money to replace the batteries, or buy two new iPods. Both good outcomes for Apple, not so good for me. I'd rather have a device where I can buy a new battery when the old one craps out, or just isn't getting the kind of life that it used to.

Not to mention being able to swap it out when I find myself without juice somewhere. More than once I've accidentally left my laptop on and drained the battery. But since my Lenovo has a removable battery, I only drain ONE of the two that I've got with me.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Actually considering the amount of trolls in here lately, it makes quite a bit of sense. I think there are more trolls here than actual Pre owners.
    Trolls, maybe. People running a major scheme - a federal offense - to drop the price of stock in order to benefit oneself? Ludicrous. Think about what she's suggesting. Trolling is different.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Oh sorry. But it's not just battery life tho, my deal is battery lifetime. It may start out getting 8 hours when it's new, but I have to wonder how long that will last.

I've got an iPod video, that I used to use on travel, that's in great shape other than the battery that doesn't last more than an hour or two. Not much use as portable player anymore. Same with the Gen 1 iPod that's docked to my home receiver. Tried to use in on my motorcycle a couple of times and it's worthless as a portable. So I can either go down to the Mac store and pay them a bunch of money to replace the batteries, or buy two new iPods. Both good outcomes for Apple, not so good for me. I'd rather have a device where I can buy a new battery when the old one craps out, or just isn't getting the kind of life that it used to.

Not to mention being able to swap it out when I find myself without juice somewhere. More than once I've accidentally left my laptop on and drained the battery. But since my Lenovo has a removable battery, I only drain ONE of the two that I've got with me.
    Very true. Good point. I never accidentally leave my computer on, however. I'm also never more than 8 hours away from a charger. Also, Apple advertises that the battery lasts for more than 1000 charges, whereas a traditional battery lasts for 200 to 300 charges. Also, if you feel that 8 hours isn't enough on the Apple, they make portable batteries that you can pug in, which, to me, is effectively the same as carrying a portable battery.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that your first generation iPod from 2001 has no battery left. It's 8 years old, and was the first of its kind. You shouldn't be surprised, either.

In an attempt to get back on track here, the Palm Pre battery is pitiful. Mine barely lasts through the work day. When I get home, it immediately gets connected to the charger.
    Trolls, maybe. People running a major scheme - a federal offense - to drop the price of stock in order to benefit oneself? Ludicrous. Think about what she's suggesting. Trolling is different.
    In today's world, nothing surprises me. You act like white collar crime doesn't exist. Of course I'm neither pointing fingers nor suggesting that is indeed what's taking place but it is not out of the realm of possibilities.
    Possibly, but it's like a netbook compared to my computer. It's a different computer altogether. Smaller. Less power. The Unibody MacBook Pro has a larger processor, faster memory, better graphics card, etc.

ThinkPads are the only PC I'd ever purchase, but the x200 in particular is really not in the same league as the 15" Unibody MacBook Pro. It just serves a different purpose, theoretically.
    Actually it's pretty much the same: Centrino 2 (Core 2) Duo P8600 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Montevina platform, etc. Doesn't have the Nvidia graphics, though. I have a Unibody MacBook too and the x200 outperforms it (except in graphics).
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Who said it was a major scheme? Just pile-on-ers that use anonymity as their cover. It happens all the time. I've been on the net for almost 15 years and saw its beginning and still see it in use all the time. There aren't enough officials in the world to moderate this stuff.

Shorts become desperate when a stock defies shorting like Palm has. And since they're almost always day-traders they're perpetually in front of their computer. You really can't short a stock and walk away like you can when going long. This is like lesson 101 in their book.

But enough of this. I made my point. I do know my stuff in this regards. And you've been enlightened whether or not you care to believe.

Just wait till you witness puppets in action. You probably have already and don't know it. Get to know a moderator on some board who has access to IP information. They'll watch one person posting under different nics supporting each puppets points but all coming from the same IP.
    Very true. Good point. I never accidentally leave my computer on, however. I'm also never more than 8 hours away from a charger. Also, Apple advertises that the battery lasts for more than 1000 charges, whereas a traditional battery lasts for 200 to 300 charges. Also, if you feel that 8 hours isn't enough on the Apple, they make portable batteries that you can pug in, which, to me, is effectively the same as carrying a portable battery.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that your first generation iPod from 2001 has no battery left. It's 8 years old, and was the first of its kind. You shouldn't be surprised, either.

In an attempt to get back on track here, the Palm Pre battery is pitiful. Mine barely lasts through the work day. When I get home, it immediately gets connected to the charger.
    You're probably right about the laptop, and I'm not surprised about the battery in my old iPod either - just wish I could replace it.

How long have you had your Pre? I've found that I don't even think about battery any more. I was out and about both days this past weekend and was using it extensively without any means of charging it and can't remember looking at the battery meter. Its just got better over time. I'm thinking the higher capacity battery might actually get me through a couple of days.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Actually it's pretty much the same: Centrino 2 (Core 2) Duo P8600 @2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Montevina platform, etc. Doesn't have the Nvidia graphics, though. I have a Unibody MacBook too and the x200 outperforms it (except in graphics).
    Mine has the 2.8GHz processor and the 256GB SSD. Aka it kills the x200, but you're right, the stock set up may be similar. Also, I was under the impression the x200 has DDR2 RAM.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    In today's world, nothing surprises me. You act like white collar crime doesn't exist. Of course I'm neither pointing fingers nor suggesting that is indeed what's taking place but it is not out of the realm of possibilities.
    It's not a white-collar crime. It's a federal crime.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    @SharonW

Report him to the authorities if you feel so strongly, and let a court of law decide if he's guilty. Otherwise, leave the inflammitory remarks at home. You have no real proof that he's guilty of anything. Everyone who comes on this forum and complains about the Pre isn't attempting to lower the price of Palm's stock. Also, the decisions of seasoned Wall Street investors and analyists don't hinge on the opinions of people on message boards. Forums are online communities where people come to get help with products. They base their decisions on more tangible statistics such as return rates.

Your remarks are the epitome of slander.

Additionally, please excuse any spelling errors. I wrote this on my Pre while on the train. This keyboard is pretty small for my man hands.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    You're probably right about the laptop, and I'm not surprised about the battery in my old iPod either - just wish I could replace it.

How long have you had your Pre? I've found that I don't even think about battery any more. I was out and about both days this past weekend and was using it extensively without any means of charging it and can't remember looking at the battery meter. Its just got better over time. I'm thinking the higher capacity battery might actually get me through a couple of days.
    I've had my Pre for a week now, and you're right, the battery life is noticeably better than it was the first few days. That being said, when I leave Google Talk on from the time I take my phone off the charger at 7 am, my battery is at 35% by noon. I'm thinking about getting either the Seidio 1350mAh battery or the Amzer 1400mAh battery, but I haven't decided if it's worth it yet. Rumor has it that some battery companies intentionally misrepresent the mAh amount on their batteries.

Also, as a side note, if I open a new card then try to come back to a post that I'm in the middle of writing, why is there no way to scroll down to the bottom and resume typing? The little arrows show up sometimes, but not always. I just had to re-type this post.

Again, I apologize for any spelling errors. This keyboard is tiny, and I can't scroll up to review what I've wrote.
    I've had my Pre for a week now, and you're right, the battery life is noticeably better than it was the first few days. That being said, when I leave Google Talk on from the time I take my phone off the charger at 7 am, my battery is at 35% by noon. I'm thinking about getting either the Seidio 1350mAh battery or the Amzer 1400mAh battery, but I haven't decided if it's worth it yet. Rumor has it that some battery companies intentionally misrepresent the mAh amount on their batteries.

Also, as a side note, if I open a new card then try to come back to a post that I'm in the middle of writing, why is there no way to scroll down to the bottom and resume typing? The little arrows show up sometimes, but not always. I just had to re-type this post.

Again, I apologize for any spelling errors. This keyboard is tiny, and I can't scroll up to review what I've wrote.
    You do need to watch the apps you keep open, IM and GPS apps will drain the battery.

To move the cursor down, select somewhere in the text field and then hold down the orange button and then move your finger on the screen.
    It's not a white-collar crime. It's a federal crime.
    White collar crime is a very broad definition and can include stock manipulation. It is possible it could be federal as well but I'm not sure. Anyway the point is it does occur.
    Mine has the 2.8GHz processor and the 256GB SSD. Aka it kills the x200, but you're right, the stock set up may be similar. Also, I was under the impression the x200 has DDR2 RAM.
    Yep, your 2.8GHz processor beats my 2.4GHz (but I get 9 hours battery life from a removable battery and don't have to run OS X to get good run times). Both my x200 and MacBook have Corsair SSDs though.

Nope, the x200 uses DDR3.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Yep, your 2.8GHz processor beats my 2.4GHz (but I get 9 hours battery life from a removable battery and don't have to run OS X to get good run times). Both my x200 and MacBook have Corsair SSDs though.

Nope, the x200 uses DDR3.
    Ah, good! DDR3 really helps in my opinion. So do the SSDs. Love them!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    White collar crime is a very broad definition and can include stock manipulation. It is possible it could be federal as well but I'm not sure. Anyway the point is it does occur.
    I'm familiar with the definition of the term as I am a law student, however, the manner in which she used it led me to believe that she didn't fully understand the severity of the crime, or rather the potential severity of the crime.

It does happen, but he is a Pre owner and not all of his threads bash the Pre, as she claimed. Her statements were accusatory. That's the only point I'm trying to make here. Go back and look at her posts in this thread - they are wily inappropriate and immature. He statements were similar to someone accusing me of stealing Pres because in 5 separate posts I mentioned how I purchased 5 of them.

That doesn't really articulate my point. Let's try this. Let's assume that he is attempting to manipulate stocks. Making the jump from a few posts talking about the flaws of this highly flawed phone to stock manipulation is a big jump. All of the information isn't there. It's too big of a jump without that information, so harassing (yes, harassing - look at her crazy, rambling posts) someone on a message board is uncalled for.

Anyone disagree?
    Last edited by kpozan; 07/28/2009 at 12:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    And I see you're at it, again, liar. You're pretty shameless, huh? Figure you can keep passing off and get lost in the sauce of this big forum.
    This site has a combination of massive anal retentives and those with nefarious purposes.

I've never seen "a little play" get so much freakin' attention. And, yes, I realize some Pres have more than they should, but this is getting ridiculous. It's becoming like suggestive hypnosis. Plant the suggestion and everyone gets paranoid about their own phones.
    People are talking freakin' millimeters! Some people are questioning whether a single millimeter is too much play?!?! That's whacked. That's neurotic.

With all this talk about the "play," I've never seen anyone mention how that affects performance.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1777178

You're a playa. You can't even keep your story straight.
    Oh cut the innocent victim act and read the link I posted if you haven't already.
    Here are some of her posts in this thread. Do her arguments sound like they are based on solid evidence or the delusional thoughts of a raving and wildly-inappropriate forum member?
    I have twisting and a gap on the left side that is more significant than the right so I'm taking it back today and I'm going to cancel my account since tomorrow is the last day of the 30 days and I don't want to get stuck with a product I'm not happy with. I'm still trying to make up my mind as to whether or not I want to go back to an iPhone or go to Best Buy and see if I can find a good phone with zero gap. I don't care about the wiggle, as long as there is no gaps where I can see inside of the phone. Hopefully it all works out...
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sherman901 View Post
    I have twisting and a gap on the left side that is more significant than the right so I'm taking it back today and I'm going to cancel my account since tomorrow is the last day of the 30 days and I don't want to get stuck with a product I'm not happy with. I'm still trying to make up my mind as to whether or not I want to go back to an iPhone or go to Best Buy and see if I can find a good phone with zero gap. I don't care about the wiggle, as long as there is no gaps where I can see inside of the phone. Hopefully it all works out...
    Apparently, they all have a slight gap on the left side. I was very worried, and now I'm not as worried.

In my opinion, if money isn't an issue, I think the iPhone 3GS is a much better phone. The App Store is expansive and the new 3GS is lightning fast. Some people don't like the virtual keyboard, but after a week with my iPod Touch, I was fine. I type more quickly on my Touch than I do on my Pre. The Pre is laggy, whereas the iPhone 3GS isn't. The iPhone 3GS also has great battery life. My friend has one and is a heavy user. He can easily go a day without charging it, whereas on the Pre you might be in trouble. I would advise you to get the 3GS, unless: (a) the plan is too costly; or (b) you don't like the virtual keyboard.

That's my opinion. I love webOS, but the Pre as a physical phone isn't ready for prime time.

Just as a side note: for all of you that are wondering why I don't have an iPhone, the reason is because I'm a 23 year-old law student (poor) and am still on the family plan. My choice was between the Touch Diamond/Touch Pro (windows mobile = gross), the BlackBerry Tour (just got rid of the 8830) and the Pre. The Pre was the clear winner.
    Last edited by kpozan; 07/28/2009 at 01:56 PM.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast