Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Ok every pre ive touched has about a 1mm play when closed. (clockwise). Im convinced every single one has this.

Theres a catch though...the only time youll ever notice this play is if you purposely twist each side. Mine does it about 1mm and ive never ever actually had it do it when im just using it. If i purposely twist it, theres your 1mm. No extra gap, though.

If people are upset about 1mm then they need to get a different phone. Sliders having moving parts and therefore move by nature. Brick phones do not.
    Launch day phone, slight wiggle here, as well. /agree with those that think this is normal for this type of phone.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I don't know the build date of my device, but it was purchased about 2 weeks ago. Less than 1mm play clockwise.

My previous phone was a Touch Pro. I owned 3 of them, and dropped my last one no less than 4 times. None of them had a noticeable amount of twist. In fact, I'm playing with the deactivated device now, and pushing on the corner forces the entire slide to open.

Each user experience will be different, as will opinions. The give on my Palm doesn't bother me unless it starts to get worse.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Jordus;1784130]Ok every pre ive touched has about a 1mm play when closed. (clockwise). Im convinced every single one has this. [Quote]

This is precisely what mine does. I feel better, thank you.

I hate to bring up this company, but I'm used to Apple products and their high build quality. My Unibody MacBook Pro is an incredible device and is built like a rock, as is my first gen iPod Touch. It feels like a slab of rock in your hand.

My BlackBerry, on the other hand, felt like a cheap POS. The Pre is an obvious improvement. I do love this phone, but I'm calling Sprint and getting thw insurance juuuuuust in case haha.
    Last edited by kpozan; 07/27/2009 at 05:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

nothing quite like advocating insurance fraud.
    LMAO!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpozan View Post
    I'm very happy with the phone, also. However, it makes me nervous that the phone does not feel very sturdy. I searched Google to see if there were issues with other sliders, but I came up empty-handed each time. When I searched for issues with the Pre sliding mechanism, I came up with an alarming amount of results. This worries me.

In general, I love webOS (coming from a BlackBerry, webOS is king), but the phone just seems like junk. Yes, it is a first generation device, but so was the Touch Pro and the G1, and there aren't a multitude of complaints about the sliding mechanism on either of those phones, or the build quality in general. Doesn't this bother anyone else? It sure doesn't make me happy.

Also, as a side note, my phone was produced on July 13.
    Welcome to the world of Pre. You are the proud new owner of the most awesome piece of junk ever created.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    Welcome to the world of Pre. You are the proud new owner of the most awesome piece of junk ever created.
    aint that the truth.

But i love my piece of junk.
    I hate to say it but its the nature of sliders to loosen up a bit as the break in. Its also the nature to of sliders to not be perfect. Go into any phone store and try the slider phone demos. You will see they are all sloppy and loose. Its just the nature of the beast. I really wish the Pre was not a slider but it is. I'm sure one day Palm will make a WebOS phone with WiFi that is not a slider. When they do, I will jump on it.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Mine twist a little more than 5mm but the sprint store told me not to worry about it. I think they all move some what.
    ^^Of course they do, any reasonable thinking person would realize this. But that won't stop another thread on the same issue from appearing tomorrow. Folks, they ALL twist a little, it's the nature of beast. Only if the twist is too excessive would exchanging it make a difference.

THEY ALL TWIST A LITTLE!
    Quote Originally Posted by roor View Post
    aint that the truth.

But i love my piece of junk.
    I love mine too!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    ^^Of course they do, any reasonable thinking person would realize this. But that won't stop another thread on the same issue from appearing tomorrow. Folks, they ALL twist a little, it's the nature of beast. Only if the twist is too excessive would exchanging it make a difference.

THEY ALL TWIST A LITTLE!
    I think it's the Only if the twist is too excessive would exchanging it make a difference is the question/why these threads keep popping up. What amount is excessive is i think what all these people are wondering.

I would think if it twists more than a 1/4" thats probably excessive. I'm only guessing since mine is only 1mm away from that but was told it was normal. Lets face it most slider phones don't wobble almost a 1/4" ( none I've seen atleast) so thats why you see so many of these threads. I'm sure as more people get use to the Pre these threads will die down.

Mine doesn't bother me i just asked at the sprint store to make sure. The only complaint I have with mine is how easy it turns not the amount. Even the lightest gesture swipe and it turns out the whole amount, again was told it was suppose to be like that so I never worried about it again, which is why you haven't seen me making a bunch of threads on it.

but i can see how some people would wonder is it was suppose to do that.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I love mine too!
    Me too.

Best phone I've owned on sprint
    I had a small twist but I tightened it and now I really can say it is perfect.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Mine twists very, very slightly. I'd be surprised if it was even a millimeter. But, combined with the twist of my Touchstone battery cover, it seems like more.

So, the question is: should I start a thread about the oreo effect of my TS battery cover???
    Quote Originally Posted by kpozan View Post
    I hate to bring up this company, but I'm used to Apple products and their high build quality. My Unibody MacBook Pro is an incredible device and is built like a rock, as is my first gen iPod Touch. It feels like a slab of rock in your hand.
    Well that may have to do with the fact that when Apple did build products with moving parts, like my old iBook, they were total hunk-a-junks. Everything that moved on that thing felt like crap. After months of system lock-ups and me pulling the battery to restart, the cheesey battery clip broke and I had to duct-tape the battery on - since the Mac "genius" told me it would cost me $150 to fix as they'd have to take the entire machine apart to simply fix the battery clip.

The only other moving part was the battery drawer that felt like paper mâché every time I was brave enough to open it. It's no wonder you can't remove a battery, they're slot-loading, and every product they build is a brick with one (or no) buttons.

There's a price to be paid (in a number of ways) for "built like a rock".
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Mine twists very, very slightly. I'd be surprised if it was even a millimeter. But, combined with the twist of my Touchstone battery cover, it seems like more.

So, the question is: should I start a thread about the oreo effect of my TS battery cover???
    I've noticed the same, most of the movement on mine comes from the battery door. The stock back is actually more firm.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I've noticed the same, most of the movement on mine comes from the battery door. The stock back is actually more firm.
    I was thinking that too but I didn't have the stock cover on it long enough to know. I was thinking about stuffing a tiny bit of electrical tape in there to see if that firms things up.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    i gave my TS cover to my dad because i found the original to be more firm, however after removing my cover today to investigate my 'gap' issue. its loose all over again ._.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    And I see you're at it, again, liar. You're pretty shameless, huh? Figure you can keep passing off and get lost in the sauce of this big forum.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast