Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a question to ask and it is killing me to admit this but here it goes.
    For the first time in my life, I feel like I am missing something technology wise and I am afraid it has to do with my age

I have seen pod cast and even downloaded one or two but never really saw the need. After looking at this post in PrePod homebrew and the popularity of this application, it is making me feel like I am missing out.

So I am asking why they are so popular. Believe it or not, I work in I.T. and love gadgets. I am someone who will push my Pre to its limits. Any suggestions would be great.

I am down loading the app tonight when I get home.

So I would like to ask if you listen to Podcast and what do you listen to.

Thanks,
    Deano
    Last edited by floridadomer; 07/27/2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Think of a podcast as a Talk Radio show that you can download and listen to at your leisure. There are tons to choose from depending on your interests. If you listen to NPR at all, or any talk radio, just about all those shows are available as a free podcast, you can Download and listen to. I recommend "This American Life" This American Life

In addition to those, many of the podcasts are internet only programs. I listen to one comedy show, Nobody Likes Onions It's very offensive humor that would not be allowed on mainstream radio, but fits in perfectly well online.

Browse these sites and read the reviews to find one that interests you.

Podcast.com is the ultimate podcast collection.
    PodcastAlley.com -- The place to find Podcasts
    NPR Podcast Directory
  3.    #3  
    Think of a podcast as a Talk Radio show that you can download and listen to at your leisure. There are tons to choose from depending on your interests. If you listen to NPR at all, or any talk radio

I don't listen to NPR or talk radio at all but I was thinking about it when College football starts again.
    In addition to those, many of the pod-casts are INTERNET only programs. I listen to one comedy show, Nobody Likes Onions It's very offensive humor.........I have a very off beat humor so I will check it out. Thanks!!!
    I will take a look at these sites tonight.
    Browse these sites and read the reviews to find one that interests you.

Podcast.com is the ultimate podcast collection.
    PodcastAlley.com -- The place to find Podcasts
    NPR Podcast Directory
    My personal favorite is "Car Talk". I don't even like cars or car maintenance, but those two who host the show are hilarious!
    Bill Simmons the BS report is a MUST listen to for Sports fans
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Bill Simmons the BS report is a MUST listen to for Sports fans

Is his Podcast through ESPN?
    Quote Originally Posted by floridadomer View Post
    Is his Podcast through ESPN?
    Here ya go

ESPNRadio.com - PodCenter - ESPN
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    My personal favorite is "Car Talk". I don't even like cars or car maintenance, but those two who host the show are hilarious!
    Love CarTalk, when I catch it. I love that every now and then the best advice they can give is " just give it a couple of whacks and see if that works."
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Just a quick warning on Nobody likes Onions. They are sponsored by Adam&eve.com and the first line of the show starts off, "If you like Nobody likes Onions and LOVE SEX! go to..." I listen to it in my car, or with headphones.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyjay View Post
    Love CarTalk, when I catch it. I love that every now and then the best advice they can give is " just give it a couple of whacks and see if that works."
    Man I hate when I don't know things!!! So are there normally three ways to listen to a pod cast, live, downloaded and transfered or click on a link to listen to?
  11.    #11  
    Just a quick warning on Nobody likes Onions. They are sponsored by Adam&eve.com and the first line of the show starts off, "If you like Nobody likes Onions and LOVE SEX! go to..." I listen to it in my car, or with headphones.
    Thanks, I will make sure not to listen to with the kids in my car. I am sure if you look at my avatar and signature you can tell my wife and I won't be offended.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Go to Twit.tv
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Eh.. Think of it as 'on demand' audio shows. Some sites do have a 'live feed' that you can listen to while the show is being recorded. Some also allow you to stream the recorded show from the web page you're viewing. Mostly tho, people have 'podcatchers' which monitor the rss feeds of the shows for new episodes being posted and then downloads them. ITunes is one example - and you normally would sync them to your iPod (or Pre, since it can sync with iTunes)

Since you'll be using the homebrew podcast app for the Pre, what you want are the rss feeds for the shows.

For example: On The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte, each show's page has a "Subscribe" pull down menu. You want 'RSS'... the url that your browser takes you to is what you want to put in for the podcast url in the homebrew app.

In the case of This Week In Tech: it's
    Code:
    http://leoville.tv/podcasts/twit.xml
    The homebrew app will then go look at that feed and get all the info on each ep that is in the feed, etc. Then you can either download or stream the podcast to your Pre. Since you're into technology, there's probably several podcasts at twit.tv you might like.
  14.    #14  
    I would defiantly would prefer something that I can set up and then let it go out and do the work. with four kids in school and playing sports, as soon as mid august hits, its good bye free time!!
    I have down loaded on my I touch every song that I grew up with and played them a 1000 times. I would just like something else to listen to. I have an aux jack ion my radio that I can plug in my Pre to. I have been using Pandora but I am just wanting something else to listen to.
    Thanks to all for all of the suggestions.....PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING!!!!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    From PrePod thread
    Quote Originally Posted by jai20
    Is this the reason that The Onion's video feeds do not work? The files are 15MB+. It shows the episodes but gives an error "No enclosure". Here is the feed link

Onion News Network
    I'm not sure where that video link came from, but here is one that works:

http://feeds.theonion.com/OnionNewsNetwork

Got it from the first link when searching for onion video podcast
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    From PrePod thread

I'm not sure where that video link came from, but here is one that works:

Onion News Network (Video)

Got it from the first link when searching for onion video podcast
    Thanks for the help...sorry for misplacing the post.

In addition to those, many of the podcasts are internet only programs. I listen to one comedy show, Nobody Likes Onions. It's very offensive humor that would not be allowed on mainstream radio, but fits in perfectly well online.
    I listen to NLO too! Thats awesome...
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I am a geek. I listen to the MuggleCast podcasts and the ones on Leo LaPorte's site: Twit.tv.

I'll catch DLTV (digital life) podcasts once in a while too.

Right now I am listening to a podcast from ISSA.org on how IT departments can secure mobile devices on their networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by floridadomer View Post

I have seen pod cast and even downloaded one or two but never really saw the need. After looking at this post in PrePod homebrew and the popularity of this application, it is making me feel like I am missing out.

Deano
    First of all lets call them correctly Netcasts or Mp3's

Either way I have learned most of what i know & use about Technology from Netcasts specifically TWIT netcasts

My favorites are on TWIT.tv Tech Netcasts& Buzz Out loud

The Tech Guy

This Week In Tech-Weekly tech news

Open Source Tech Cast FLOSS Weekly -Linux

I also listen to various Travel netcasts Or Zen casts dubbed form the creative Zens collection of Netcasts.

They probably go back to something similiar to audio tapes or books on tape.

They are Mp3 files usually of entertainment talk topics.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast