Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    I just learned the hard way that if you are viewing a message and reply all your reply will originate from your default email account- regardless of which account you are viewing mail from.

    So just to make this crystal clear; I have two email accounts- personal gmail and corporate EAS. I was reading a work email, hit reply all- sent my message and then realized the pre sent it from my gmail account.

    Corporate users should be careful. This was kind of embarassing as this email went to internal employees and extrenal customers.

    My solution was to change default to EAS- this better be termporary!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  2. #2  
    Sadly, I do not believe this is new. I, too, find it annoying that Reply and Forward do not default to the account in which the current message belongs. Certainly, give me the option to change, but default to the correct account.
  3. JKTex's Avatar
    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #3  
    It's a catch 22. What works best for everyone? Nothing.

    It makes sense then, to default to the default email account. However, if you haven't noticed it yet, in the reply email, tap the down arrow at the end of the "From" address at the top and change it to whatever email you want it to be from. Same as Windows Live email etc. that manage multiple accounts.

    For corp. users (which the Pre was not targeting) it would make sense to make your corp. email the default if that's what you'll use if for primarily. Otherwise, just change it from the email itself each time.
  4. erod550's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #4  
    Why wouldn't a reply, whether just to the sender or a reply-all, not work best for everyone if it sent from the same account it was received on? How is that a catch 22? Are there really that many people out there who would rather reply to an email with an entirely different account?

    This seems like a no-brainer bug to me and one that will hopefully be fixed soon.
  5. ndz
    ndz is offline
    ndz's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #5  
    Thanks for the reminder. Palm should correct this.

    OP: I hope your email address wasn't stoner69xxx@domain or similar.....
  6. JKTex's Avatar
    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #6  
    I guess I should have been more complete because based on what I left out, you have a good point.

    If you use "All inboxes" it defaults. Could they change it there? I don't know, it would depend on how they are making 1 in-box display all accounts in-boxes together.

    If you open an accounts in-box, it DOES reply from the account it came to.

    So I guess, the only problem is for those that only want to use "All inboxes" to manage email. If it's a business device and you also have personal, it's really not hard to manage each account separately from their own respective in-boxes OR, change the address with 2 taps from "All inboxes".

    Guess it just doesn't sound like the end of the world to me, or a "bug" either. And I personally would want to manage business and personal separately in which case, it wouldn't be an issue.
  7. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #7  
    i have tried to recreate this but can not. Mine always reply's from the account it was sent to.
  8. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #8  
    i see now, i dont use "all inboxes"
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    i have tried to recreate this but can not. Mine always reply's from the account it was sent to.
    Same here, even when I use "all inboxes" (as I always do). The default is only supposed to be used for the creation of new email, not replies.
  10. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #10  
    Seems like it's a bug. If you open an email and tap on reply or reply all before it loads completely, the default email address is used. If you open the email and wait until it is fully loaded, it uses the one the email was sent to.
  11. #11  
    I don't think everyone is reading the OP correctly. First, it happens when you hit reply all not reply. I think some are thinking the reply button is the problem.

    Second, this does not always happen to me. It looks like it occurs randomly. I have my corporate EAS account set up as default and my gmail also synced. It has happened once where I was replying all to a gmail email string and my corporate account came up by default. I am having a tough time reproducing this bug so I have yet been able to narrow it down.

    Les, can you reproduce this bug regularly? I seem to not be able to.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Seems like it's a bug. If you open an email and tap on reply or reply all before it loads completely, the default email address is used. If you open the email and wait until it is fully loaded, it uses the one the email was sent to.
    Bingo. That was it. I am able to reproduce it now each time I try. Definitely a bug or "feature".

    EDIT: Also, just to clarify, if the email does not load it happens with the reply button as well.
    Last edited by bpdamas; 07/27/2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by erod550 View Post
    Why wouldn't a reply, whether just to the sender or a reply-all, not work best for everyone if it sent from the same account it was received on? How is that a catch 22? Are there really that many people out there who would rather reply to an email with an entirely different account?

    This seems like a no-brainer bug to me and one that will hopefully be fixed soon.
    Gotta agree with you, even if there's a workaround, this sounds like a bug.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    I guess I should have been more complete because based on what I left out, you have a good point.

    If you use "All inboxes" it defaults. Could they change it there? I don't know, it would depend on how they are making 1 in-box display all accounts in-boxes together.

    If you open an accounts in-box, it DOES reply from the account it came to.

    So I guess, the only problem is for those that only want to use "All inboxes" to manage email. If it's a business device and you also have personal, it's really not hard to manage each account separately from their own respective in-boxes OR, change the address with 2 taps from "All inboxes".

    Guess it just doesn't sound like the end of the world to me, or a "bug" either. And I personally would want to manage business and personal separately in which case, it wouldn't be an issue.
    OK, that changes things. Disregard my previous post. If each account replies from the proper one, and the All Inboxes uses the default, that sounds correct to me... especially if it has the option to change.
  15. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #15  
    It's definitely a bug, read my previous post.
  16. VDubbs47's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #16  
    Interesting. I was able to reproduce this when I hit reply and reply all when in both my All Inboxes view and my EAS inbox if I don't wait for the email to fully load before hitting the buttons. My default account is my gmail account and the reply would always be sent from that account.

    If I wait for the email to load (which I do anyway) and then hit reply or reply all, regardless of which account I'm in, the from address is the account from which the email originated.

    Sounds like some of you just need to slow down and let your emails load completely until a fix is released.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frrrrunkis View Post
    Interesting. I was able to reproduce this when I hit reply and reply all when in both my All Inboxes view and my EAS inbox if I don't wait for the email to fully load before hitting the buttons. My default account is my gmail account and the reply would always be sent from that account.

    If I wait for the email to load (which I do anyway) and then hit reply or reply all, regardless of which account I'm in, the from address is the account from which the email originated.

    Sounds like some of you just need to slow down and let your emails load completely until a fix is released.
    I'm trying to come up with a use case for hitting reply or reply all before the email is loaded, and I just don't see it. I tend to enjoy reading my emails before I respond, but that's just me. I doubt this bug impacts many users, but I think it is definitely a bug.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm trying to come up with a use case for hitting reply or reply all before the email is loaded, and I just don't see it. I tend to enjoy reading my emails before I respond, but that's just me. I doubt this bug impacts many users, but I think it is definitely a bug.
    There really isn't much of a practical use because if you slow down, there are no issues. I have found I accidentally don't wait until it loads sometimes when I read multiple emails and then go back to one to reply. I know I need to reply and already know what I am going to say so I sometimes am too impatient and press the reply button to quickly. It definitely is good to know what causes it though so I can avoid doing it.

Posting Permissions