Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Normally my battery life is fine. It almost always gets me through the day.

I typcially take it off the charger at 8am, and use web, text, email, some calls, and maybe 15 minutes of music and/or Pandora on some days and i usually put it on the charger anywhere from 10:30pm -12:00am with the battery around 10%. I'd consider myself a moderate user.

Today though is highly unusual.

I took it off today at about 8am again. It's now 1:34 pm. I have made 0 phone calls, about 10-15 texts, and visited 2 or 3 web sites. That's it. It's at 50% and keeps dropping.

My phone is in perfect full bar 3G service. GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth are all off as usual (i use WiFi at home). No AIM or Gtalk. Nothing running at all.

I guess i'm just hoping this is a hiccup and not some permanent drastic battery life reduction out of no where. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this before.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    mines a lil worse now that ive added a 2nd email account to the phone.

Having it set to "as it comes in" was killing the pre bad, so i put it to every 5 mins.
    a few weeks ago i had one day out of nowhere that my battery was around 50-60% by 2 after unplugging at around 9. which is really unusual... but since then i havent had another "bad batter day"
    I did have one over the weekend. I had used Pandora for around 2 hours while at gym and when I got home and took Pre out of pocket it was unusually warm and battery was dead. I usually have at least 50 to 60% left at same point in day. It happens - nothing is perfect.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I feel like I have a bad battery day every day. I do have 3 email accounts: one exchange, one POP3, and GMail (using IMAP). I switched my POP3 account over to IMAP in hopes that it would perform better for my Pre. I know there is a cross-over point where "as it comes in" is a better or worse option than pulling every few minutes. I'm hoping that "as it comes in" will actually improve my situation.

On the whole I consider myself an above moderate user. However, I've read stories of users who do way more than me on a typical day and they have more battery life at the end of the day than I do. Fortunately I keep a Touchstone in my office, a car charger in my dash board, and I use my an extra USB cable at home to keep it always charged.
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    I did have one over the weekend. I had used Pandora for around 2 hours while at gym and when I got home and took Pre out of pocket it was unusually warm and battery was dead. I usually have at least 50 to 60% left at same point in day. It happens - nothing is perfect.
    Did you by any chance leave Pandora running in the background without actually playing? I've noticed that if Pandora is just sitting there it heats the phone up and DESTROYS my battery.

I am not sure if this was happening before 1.1 or not, but it certainly happens now.
    I have bad battery days quite often. Mostly because of the signal levels in my office fluctuate so badly. Some days there are 2 bars of signal pretty steady, others there's either 1 or 0 and it's searching constantly. Probably weather/atmosphere related.. it was the same with my Verizon 6800 before I got my Pre so I'm not really surprised.

On the weekends and weeknights when I'm out and around, generally the battery life is good (or what I would expect from a smartphone).
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Sometimes I go to bed with over 50% and wake up to the low battery notification. All I have is 1 gmail account that syncs as needed, no open cards or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Did you by any chance leave Pandora running in the background without actually playing? I've noticed that if Pandora is just sitting there it heats the phone up and DESTROYS my battery.

I am not sure if this was happening before 1.1 or not, but it certainly happens now.
    Actually yes I did. Thanks for tip; I will not leave in background not playing anymore.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post

I came here to say that... I don't think this is limited to Pandora, but Pandora seems to destroy battery life even when idle.

I used to keep Tweed running all the time, but yesterday I decided to reboot right away in the morning to make sure everything was closed and I had amazing battery life.

Running Apps all the time = ~13hrs of battery life
    Not running apps all the time = ~170 hrs of battery life (calculated, not observed)

That's a major difference
    Pandora is what kills it for me. It seems to really suck the battery.

I have a spare micro-USB cable that I keep in my bag. If I get low on battery, I plug into the nearest device with a USB port and let it charge for a while

I found out yesterday that even the USB port on my Airport Express (which is supposed to only work for printer sharing) provides enough power to charge the Pre.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    i have had days where within 8 hours, it would die completely (mostly on standby). thankfully it only occurred a few times but i still didnt like it
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Yesterday...light usage, some email, some browsing, a couple of short calls, and did not put it on the charger last night. This morning I was at 79%.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I just saw this post after making my own... (whoops).

I had the same thing happen today. Crazy because I had my phone in flight mode all day (inside a hospital).

Literally nothing was running, no cards, in flight mode. 4 hours into my day i'm at 55% battery. It's a little scary, because my battery has been awesome up until now.

Has anything changed?
  15.    #15  
    UPDATE:

Well, today I took my Pre off the charger at 6:15am and it is right now 7:31pm and with normal usage and even more calling than usual, I am at 41%.

Now this is more like it. I'm actually posting this from my Pre.

So I guess it just was a bad battery day.
    I am having a bad battery day today. Took off the charger at 7:00 AM this morning and by noon with almost zero usage, I got a low battery warning. I keep Spaz running, but thats never seemed to affect it like this before.

Just yesterday I still had the green battery indicator 3-4 hours after I took it off the charger and thought to myself that my battery life was great...

Not anymore. I did a battery pull and am testing again.
    I did...I had spaz running in the background the entire time...I think that's what did it.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Since the OS update, my battery has actually been getting better...but I've started to see weird stuff like the volume indicator getting stuck on-screen, shut-off for no apparent reason...maybe my battery is the cause???
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Since 1.1 update, my and my wife's pre have been shutting off randomly several times throughout the day (while battery says theres plenty of charge left). Anyone else noticed that? Tempted to make a new thread but I can't figure out if i'm crazy or if its real.
    my battery has sucked today. I'm a heavy user and serisously I had to recharge 3 times today! I was roaming and in a horrible signal area all day....I had a total battery drain yesterday and i kept messing with the network settings to be able to get data where i was at..
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast