Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone else feel like Palm is trying to incite Apple? Here's where I'm coming from.

First I don't really see iTunes sync as a selling point for the Pre. I really don't like iTues personally. Simple drag and drop of my music works just fine for me. Yet Palm insists on playing leapfrogging with Apple in what's appearing to be an on-again-off-again game keeping it working.

Further, Palm has now complained to the USB governing body that Apple is making improper use of vendor IDs.

After the intro of the Pre at CES Apple released a little warning (threat?) about other organizations infringing on their IP. Palm quickly rejoined stating that Apple has already been infringing on plenty of Palm IP. They effectively said, "Bring it on!"

In an interview I saw a while back (sorry can't find the youTube vid) McNamee was asked about this IP debate and funding by Elevation in Palm. He stated that Elevation had already invested four hundred some-odd million and there was plenty more if Palm found themselves needing it. (An offer of financial backing to fund any future litigation?)

Now, I'm basically a Palm fanboy and feel quite the opposite when it comes to Apple. However, to me I feel like Palm is truly trying to incite the much larger fruit cult... a-hem, company into a full head-on fight.

In the end, I think if Apple decided to file suit against Palm it could easily be twisted publicly to look like the huge Apply trying to squash a small company just trying to survive. Apple would be portrayed as the playground bully.

What would be Palm's motive? I'm guessing free publicity.

From my perspective the drama is really entertaining.

Am I like totally off about this?
    Am I like totally off about this?
    Hit the spot.
    I don't think they're trying to entice Apple to sue. I think they're deliberately trying to get them to take public actions that will demonstrate Apple's motives (such as publicly acknowledging that their iTunes fix was to stop non-Apple devices from working). I believe this sets Palm up for possible future litigation, either as a plantiff or defendant.
    Of course Palm is trying to incite Apple, and most of us Palm partisans are loving it.
    I think its more for the free press, which is exactly what its getting.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Well, I think it is an obvious fight that is similar to many between Apple and Microsoft. It's really a disagreement that was bound to come up eventually and I feel it is a necessary discussion. Should people who bought media from Apple be forced into buying Apple hardware to access their purchased media? I personally think not, but I can understand the argument that itunes is Apple's software and they should be able to do what's in the best interest of Apple and essentially by going through the headache of rearranging Artwork and ID3 tags you can get your media to play nice outside of itunes with other software. However, reconfiguring your media can be a headache if you are dealing with a large number of files. So motive I think is part publicity, part necessity.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I think its more for the free press, which is exactly what its getting.
    ++1. They couldn't buy the press that they are getting. Very sneaky Palm. I like it...
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    ++1. They couldn't buy the press that they are getting. Very sneaky Palm. I like it...
    They did the same thing when they launched, 2 days before WWDC so that no one could mention the iPhone 3Gs without mentioning the Pre. Palm's PRPRPR $people$ $are$ $pretty$ $smart$.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    I dont know what terms Rubenstein left Apple on (good or bad) but hes likely taking out his personal vendettas against his former company. Palm needs to be careful though because Apple would likely squash them in a legal battle.

Im fine with it, because Apple is a terrible terrible company. People think Microsoft is the *evil empire* but dont even take a look at the cover of the book.

Example - Bill Gates is giving away the majority of his fortune to those without. Steve Jobs specifically takes his paycheck in Stock Options because it is taxed nearly nothing compared to a traditional paycheck, yet makes his 1$ a year salary out to be a noble philanthropic move when hes really just ripping off the US government/people by committing whats pretty much tax fraud.

Steve Jobs is a sick sadistic person who has manipulated a bunch of unsuspecting people into thinking they are paying premium for superior devices when they are not. He has turned computers into a fashion, something it never should be.

I almost feel bad for people who buy into Apples rhetoric, but if they cant think for themselves they deserve to be taken for their money.
    If you were worried about your bottom line and advertising budget, what is the best way to fix both of those issues?

Ride the coatails of someone else so that you are always mentioned in the same breath. Palm has been worried about their revenues, and free press definitely helps the bottom line.

The only issue I see with this is that you cannot use this as your marketing strategy forever. You will eventually have to to something different so that you are not the dorky kid in the corner that everyone knows is there but doesn't care to associate with.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    To beat the iPhone, they must become as like the iPhone as possible to consumers.

That means a few things:

1- Everyone needs to know they actually exist

2- They can't have any situations where people say "You don't want to get a Pre because it's too hard to do X with it, get an iPhone instead"

The iTunes thing accomplishes both of those-- it simplifies a task that I can guarantee you my mother could not accomplish manually, and it gets them a ton of press.

Are they baiting Apple? It might not be their sole business plan, but they're certainly not backing down, nor can they afford to do so-- anyone think that Palm's really got another ace hidden up their sleeve somewhere if the Pre fails?
    Go Palm.....
    I think they are, and I don't think they're doing it recklessly. That is, I'm sure Palm's attorneys feel they have a pretty good case against Apple. Whether or not they're right is anybody's guess, and may come down to a court battle. To me, the fact that Apple hasn't taken any legal action may indicate they know Palm is right.
    nah
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Forget stupid TV shows like "The Secret Life of an American Teenager" ... nothing can beat this drama.

I was laughing SO hard when they re-enabled ITunes Sync. I personally don't use Itunes, but I find it hilarious that Palm is biting at Apple.

Then again, I hate Apple. They charge so much for their products; quite ridiculous. I heard their updates to the new "cat" versions of their Macs (Puma, Leopard) cost $199.99 each.

After reading about that Apple 4G and that Chinese guy jumping off a building... and that Apple didn't pay minimum wage for workers overseas.... and lots of other stuff I've begun to hate Apple even more.

Plus, I had an Ipod Video for about two years. After that a big internal screen crack appeared out of nowhere on the bottom right. So I gave it to my younger sister, who's Ipod Nano's audio messed up (everything sounded like Chipmunks, lol...).
    But my older sister has Ipod Mini and Iphone 3g; both work well.
    It's just a mixture of my previous experience + their attitude... "we're the best".
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    I think they are, and I don't think they're doing it recklessly. That is, I'm sure Palm's attorneys feel they have a pretty good case against Apple. Whether or not they're right is anybody's guess, and may come down to a court battle. To me, the fact that Apple hasn't taken any legal action may indicate they know Palm is right.
    I think it all surrounds the very same issues facing multiple technology companies these days, as well as the telecoms. How open or closed are you? I think Palm and Sprint and Google are going for more openness. I think Palm deliberately chose this battle to highlight Apple's close-mindedness. It puts Apple in the same league as AOL and the closed-garden approach. That approach bit AOL in the ****, too.

It can't be done solely for marketing purposes because when Apple disables Pre's ability to sync that hurts Palm. Stock dropped the day that was reported.

No, I think they're forcing the bigger issue first because THEY CAN, and secondly for the aforementioned. Having Rubinstein as CEO and developer nobody else is in such a position to do so. You all should check out this article on how Apple was trying to beat up on free speech because people were discussing work-arounds for iTunes. The EFF is also on Palm's side. Keep in mind the update that kept Bluwiki's workaround from "working" was the same one that prevented the Pre...for a week.

Apple Kills Two Suits with One Stone

Analysis: By dropping its legal action against Bluwiki, Apple is now free from a countersuit that the Electronic Frontier Foundation dropped today.

...EFF Senior Staff Attorney Fred von Lohmann added, "While we are glad that Apple retracted its baseless legal threats, we are disappointed that it only came after 7 months of censorship and a lawsuit. Because Apple continues to use technical measures to lock iPod Touch and iPhone owners into -- and Palm Pre owners out of -- using Apple's iTunes software, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more discussions among frustrated customers about reverse engineering Apple products. We hope Apple has learned its lesson here and will give those online discussions a wide berth in the future."

Apple Kills Two Suits with One Stone - PC World
    They know iTunes is big and that pretty much everybody uses it. They remember how Palm users complained about an easy way to get media on to the device, they want to keep it simple with iTunes because everyone knows how to sync. Thats what I like to think.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    It's great PRPRPR $for$ $palm$ $without$ $a$ $doubt$
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    They know iTunes is big and that pretty much everybody uses it. They remember how Palm users complained about an easy way to get media on to the device, they want to keep it simple with iTunes because everyone knows how to sync. Thats what I like to think.
    Can't say i buy that. They know the iphone, BB, WM, even old Palm etc were big and everyone used them. Yet they whipped up a new OS, new form factor, and a new way to multitask.

Why then is Palm basically shying away from reinventing itunes with their own desktop app coupled with an amazon partnership for media? My guess (or hope) is they simply haven't had time to do so and this was a quick fix til then.

Long term, i would think the present itunes strategy will get old (if they choose to stick with it). It works right now though.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    You have to keep in mind that iTunes is probably the worlds most popular music program. By Palm allowing their phone to connect with iTunes allows them to appeal to a greater audience that perhaps sees the benefit in getting music on their phone and are looking for an iPhone or not able to get AT&T etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast