Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Does anyone else feel like Palm is trying to incite Apple? Here's where I'm coming from.
    Palm is exercising the right in a free market place just like consumers are complaining about the build quality of the Pre. Neither is wrong.

No harm, no foul.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Palm would be completely stupid if they didn't take the opportunity of the GTalk application being rejected by Apple and made sure that it was available on their platform. Then again, they'd have Sprint to deal with who wouldn't like it very much, but hey, if it sold phones and contracts, who cares?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I hate itunes.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    I think it all surrounds the very same issues facing multiple technology companies these days, as well as the telecoms. How open or closed are you? I think Palm and Sprint and Google are going for more openness. I think Palm deliberately chose this battle to highlight Apple's close-mindedness. It puts Apple in the same league as AOL and the closed-garden approach. That approach bit AOL in the ****, too.

It can't be done solely for marketing purposes because when Apple disables Pre's ability to sync that hurts Palm. Stock dropped the day that was reported.

No, I think they're forcing the bigger issue first because THEY CAN, and secondly for the aforementioned. Having Rubinstein as CEO and developer nobody else is in such a position to do so. You all should check out this article on how Apple was trying to beat up on free speech because people were discussing work-arounds for iTunes. The EFF is also on Palm's side. Keep in mind the update that kept Bluwiki's workaround from "working" was the same one that prevented the Pre...for a week.
    And here we go, to prove my point. It's all a closed versus open battle from here on out:

Is Apple the New Big Brother?

Do you remember Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL) famous "1984" Super Bowl commercial? A young, fresh hero dares to stand up against the blank, gray oppression of a stylized IBM (NYSE: IBM) that smacks heavily of George Orwell's "Big Brother." When Steve Jobs introduced the spot, he said that "dealers initially welcoming IBM with open arms now fear an IBM-dominated and controlled future. They are increasingly and desperately turning back to Apple as the only force that can ensure their future freedom."

Oh my, how the tables have turned.

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss!
    Today, it's Apple that looks like the big, bad oppressor of independent thought. Limiting the discussion to just the last couple of weeks, Apple started by kicking the Palm (Nasdaq: PALM) Pre out of its iTunes music store. (Don't worry, Pre fans -- Palm quickly snuck back inside, just as we thought.)

And now, word is streaming in from the ramparts of the war on corporate stonewalls: Several iTunes App Store applications that integrate Google's (Nasdaq: GOOG) Google Voice service with the popular handset have been struck dead. The Guardian reports the rejection comes because Google Voice "duplicates features that come with the iPhone," as it can reroute incoming and outgoing calls through the phone's high-speed data connection rather than an additional voice service plan. Changing service providers is a cinch with Google Voice, as your central number can forward calls anywhere you choose. SMS messages are free to send and receive through Big G. Even the voicemail feature can do nifty tricks like full-text transcripts on the fly.

All of those features sound great for iPhone customers because they replace less impressive and often more expensive equivalents from the service provider, which would be AT&T (NYSE: T) here in the States. Great for customers but bad for AT&T, then. Google would play the sledgehammer-hurling young heroine in this remake of 1984, aiming right at Ma Bell's stone-cold visage. Take away voice plans and those lucrative SMS messages, and you'd hobble AT&T's money-making powers significantly. So it looks like the telecom giant called in Apple to do its dirty work and remove this threat. Looks like we’ve found the real Big Brother.

Read on:
    Is Apple the New Big Brother? (AAPL)
    Why is Palm doing this? Why does a dog lick itself?

Answer: Because it can.

Palm knows how to connect to iTunes. It knows it can does not violate the law to simply allow its hardware to be recognized by a software program. It knows that many of its target market use iTunes and would like to be able to continue to use iTunes without having to figure out the workarounds. It knows that Apple will respond, and that the response will show Apple to be heavy-handed. And it knows that it can overcome the Apple updates with ease.

They have nothing to lose, a few things to gain, and are having fun yanking Apple's chain.
    they need to take the time they are investing in itunes,and instead invest it in gettin this phone working right,period
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    they need to take the time they are investing in itunes,and instead invest it in gettin this phone working right,period
    I think you're making an assumption that the stuff Palm is doing is takg a lot of resources. I suspect that the changes they've made are based on existing extensive knowledge of how iTunes works.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12