Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Also, for anybody who might be worried about it, it works instantly and flawlessly so far. Haha, if anything I actually seem to receive my texts and everything more reliably than with just Sprint since the different carriers don't have to play nice with each other, only Gvoice.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Individual voicemails for individual groups, call screenings, Protecting your #, having two numnbers and the ability to screen/seperate all your calls.
    Whats not to like?
    I think once they provide number porting I will port my home number and finally shed my land line. Too many friends, family, and companies know that number to get rid of it and I don't want to port it to a cell phone because at least half of the calls are BS. This will be a good way to keep the number but wrap some controls around it so it behaves the way I want it to.

Edit: That is, if I can talk my wife into it!
    Last edited by monkeydog; 07/28/2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Oh yeah...
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

4. cme
    Many invites on ebay.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    So it's reported that Apple did not approve the google voice app and also pulled the rest or the google apps in the store. I tried pasting the ling I got from twitter, but couldn't from my Pre.. Strange... I was able to copy he link, but couldn't paste it. GJ Apple!
    Quote Originally Posted by cme View Post
    Many invites on ebay.
    I'm thoroughly amused at what I discover people selling on ebay. Amazing
    I use my Google # when I sell stuff online locally. Probably use it for my business card when I get around to finishing it.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I used K7 before, and have just switched to Google Voice. K7 (and google voice) can send the caller straight to voicemail, and then send a .wav file to your email. In my case, I teach college classes online. Students will call at hours of the day or night. When I am awake, I am fine with talkin to them, but after my first 2am phone call from a student who had a question about homework, I decided not to give out my home phone number any more, so I could get some sleep and answer them in the morning. This is also good if a student has a question that requires an administrator to answer, instead of a classroom question, because I can just forward the voicemail to the correct person to help the student instead of playing a lot of phone tag.
    This is how I set up my Google Voice.

I send an SMS to one of my contacts, let's say 312 area code through voice.google.com. When they respond, it will show up as a 406 area code number on my Palm Pre. I save this 406 number in their contact information on the Pre as another "Mobile" number. Doing this will group the responding text message with all of the previous messages from that person, resulting in just one threaded conversation with that person.

If you text the 406 number from your Pre, it will arrive to the recipient from your Google Voice number.

If you text the 312 number from your Pre, it will arrive to the recipient from your Sprint number.

If you dial the 406 number from your Pre, your Google Voice number will show up on their caller ID. You will be charged for minutes, unless the 406 number is part of your Pick 3/5.

If you dial the 312 number from your Pre, your Sprint number will show up on their caller ID. You will be charged for minutes, unless the 312 number is on Sprint's network or it's part of your Pick 3/5.

---

If you have Pick 3/5 and you have assigned your Google Voice number to be one of them, this is how you can set things up to get free outgoing calls through your Google Voice number (basically how gdial from the homebrew forum works):

For each contact, create another phone number like this and call it "Other": "(xxx)xxx-xxxxtt2t(yyy)yyy-yyyy#"

Replace (xxx)xxx-xxxx with your Google Voice number. Replace (yyy)yyy-yyyy with your contact's number.

So when you dial this long string of numbers from the contact information, it will dial into your Google Voice voicemail, dial 2 to place a call, and then dial the number of the other person. It will appear to be coming from your Google Voice number and you will not be charged any minutes.

This method will take about 15 seconds to place a call.

---

I hope this helps some of you!
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    I'm thoroughly amused at what I discover people selling on ebay. Amazing
    I just bought an invite after seeing this post. $1.50 to not have to wait for an invite for a free second number ain't bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    If you dial the 406 number from your Pre, your Google Voice number will show up on their caller ID. You will be charged for minutes, unless the 406 number is part of your Pick 3/5.
    This is great information and very helpful.

I have one question...in regards to your SMS example, do you get a response from the same 406 number for all your contacts? If so, I wonder how the system determines who you're calling back if you use the same number for everyone. I don't see how GV can provide a unique call/text back number for each contact. Hope I made sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    This is great information and very helpful.

I have one question...in regards to your SMS example, do you get a response from the same 406 number for all your contacts? If so, I wonder how the system determines who you're calling back if you use the same number for everyone. I don't see how GV can provide a unique call/text back number for each contact. Hope I made sense.
    Each person responded with a different 406 number.

When that 406 number and your Sprint's number (or any other number on your Google Voice account) make a connection, Google Voice sorts it correctly. Something about Proxy...I really have no clue.

You can't give the 406 number away to somebody else to use...doesn't work that way.
    Does anyone know that if you add the number to pick 3 and set up to forward to my gvoice if no answer without the forwarding charge? Sprint charges 20 cents per forward. I want to turn my sprint voicemail off and use gvoice to transcribe my voice messages. I was using Spinvox for awhile but the forwarding killed it.
    Last edited by kessomatthew; 07/29/2009 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wootang00 View Post
    if you have sprints pick 3.. you have unlimited calling. enjoy.
    I have Sprints Pick 3 on all my lines on the account, and I've added my google voice number as one of my pick 3 numbers. My question is, since the phone first has to dial my google voice number and then from there make a call, am I using my anytime minutes?
    Last edited by thechosenfew88; 07/29/2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: grammar
    Sanyo Katana***Blackberry Curve 8330***HTC Touch Diamond***Palm Pre!
    Evo 4G

"In order to change, you have to go through some changes."
    I too got an invite and signed up. I then played with it for a minute and wondered what all the excitement was about. Maybe its usefulness will come to me eventually. I will say that in my early 20's this would have been a great resource!
    Quote Originally Posted by thechosenfew88 View Post
    I have Sprints Pick 3 on all my lines on the account, and I've added my google voice number as one of my pick 3 numbers. My question is, since the phone first has to dial my google voice number and then from there make a call, am I using my anytime minutes?
    Nope, you won't be using any of your anytime minutes. Instead, it'll be counted toward your Mobile-2-Home minutes. Look at your call log on sprintpcs.com and it will appear that you're just dialing your Google Voice number.
    Nope, you won't be using any of your anytime minutes. Instead, it'll be counted toward your Mobile-2-Home minutes. Look at your call log on sprintpcs.com and it will appear that you're just dialing your Google Voice number.
    Thanks for the insight! This is going to be interesting! lol.
    Evo 4G

The outcoming calls that I've made using the google number have been taken out of my anytime minutes. The same with incoming calls to my google voice number. Is there something wrong that I'm doing?
    Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by thechosenfew88 View Post
    The outcoming calls that I've made using the google number have been taken out of my anytime minutes. The same with incoming calls to my google voice number. Is there something wrong that I'm doing?
    When did you add your Google Voice number to your Pick 3/5? New numbers added won't go into effect until the next billing cycle.

Make sure you're dialing the "(xxx)xxx-xxxxtt2t(yyy)yyy-yyyy#" number and not the 406 number.
    When did you add your Google Voice number to your Pick 3/5? New numbers added won't go into effect until the next billing cycle.

Make sure you're dialing the "(xxx)xxx-xxxxtt2t(yyy)yyy-yyyy#" number and not the 406 number.
    Never mind! I knew something was shady, so I called account services to verify what numbers were on my Pick 3, and little did I know, they did NOT add my google voice number, which explains why it has been using my anytime minutes. I had the GV number added at the moment and then verified later by looking at my call log to see if it took any of my anytime minutes, and it didn't!

Thanks for the help!
    Evo 4G

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast