1.    #1  
    It wont let me add any more Homebrews unless i delete one now. I believe i am maxed out at 40 homebrews
    Its probably not the homebrew apps that are maxed out.
    The app/launcher and pre phone in general has been maxing out at around 80-90 software programs (and in app launcher), so check device info and see how much software is installed. It maxes out a partition apparently where it installs so depending on how big each app is you might get more or less in that space.

I know mine maxed out at aroud 91 software entries, and that totaled about 85-87 icons in the app launcher.
    What!!!! There's a limit to how many apps we can install??? I'm hearing/reading this right??? Dose this count include things like web booksmarks and preloaded/undeletable apps???
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Its probably not the homebrew apps that are maxed out.
    The app/launcher and pre phone in general has been maxing out at around 80-90 software programs (and in app launcher), so check device info and see how much software is installed. It maxes out a partition apparently where it installs so depending on how big each app is you might get more or less in that space.

I know mine maxed out at aroud 91 software entries, and that totaled about 85-87 icons in the app launcher.
    i counted like 110 total, WTF is going on?

i have over 1GB free
    you may be out of space on the file system. try issuing a df -h from the command line and look for /var
    Yeah, it's true. No one is talking about it, but the Pre's "disk" is partitioned. The big space is at /media/internal. There are two other sizeable partitions, one about 250MB, the other about 450MB. I forget off the top of my head which one is which, but there is definitely a limit to how many apps can be installed and how much space they can use.

It is possible to work around these limits through symbolic links, but no one seems to have come up with a standardized solution yet (that I'm aware of).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    This seems like a non-issue for the most part. Are you REALLY going to use 100s of apps on your phone??
    yes I will I don't think palm should limit us on how many apps we can instal
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    agree the iphone can only hold 148 and have over 50000 *amazing* cough cough apps, im sure palm could obviously change this, im sure they didn't think it as an issue yet even at 90 apps thats still 3 times more then the amount of offical apps
    If there is a memory limit it will be a problem. Medical reference files/programs (like those with pictures for reference) can get quite big...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    This seems like a non-issue for the most part. Are you REALLY going to use 100s of apps on your phone??
    HomeBrew has just got underway and already i have like 20 apps i wont delete. The Apps will only get better, no way we should be capped at 100 which 55 of them about are locked in.
    Wow. I must use my phone differently.

I can't conceive of NEEDING more than 20 to 25 applications on my Pre. So, if can really load 80-100 that would seem to be so far in excess of my needs that I won't have to worry about it !!

If anyone is bumping any where near the limit can you post a list of the apps you need on your phone for reference? I would like to see how others are using their Pre; I may be missing out!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    Wow. I must use my phone differently.

I can't conceive of NEEDING more than 20 to 25 applications on my Pre. So, if can really load 80-100 that would seem to be so far in excess of my needs that I won't have to worry about it !!

If anyone is bumping any where near the limit can you post a list of the apps you need on your phone for reference? I would like to see how others are using their Pre; I may be missing out!
    again of the 100 or so it caps me at about 60 cant be deleted from phone. they are the Doc View, Calculator, Amazon MP3 etc...

So really capping at 40 apps is ridiculous especially with a full App store coming soon
    At one point I had nearly 100 apps in the Launcher with no problems. I have since pruned it down to 75 and still no problem.

I love the Homebrew Forum!

- Craig
    I was looking at the disk partitions when i first got the phone and was worried about the sizing. The old palms just had System and Flash, and that was it. I think getting away from that is a bad idea, i have 8 gig, if I want 8 gig of apps, I should be able to have 8 gig of apps, not a few hundred meg.

I really really like this phone, but some of the design decisions are confusing at best, limited program storage, NO MICRO-SD SLOT (come-on, you couldn't put it under a door like the charger, really? or did you just think no-one would want to cycle through a few gig of different apps, ie, stuff for work, workout music, traveling with a ton of video to watch ect...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    I was looking at the disk partitions when i first got the phone and was worried about the sizing. The old palms just had System and Flash, and that was it. I think getting away from that is a bad idea, i have 8 gig, if I want 8 gig of apps, I should be able to have 8 gig of apps, not a few hundred meg.

I really really like this phone, but some of the design decisions are confusing at best, limited program storage, NO MICRO-SD SLOT (come-on, you couldn't put it under a door like the charger, really? or did you just think no-one would want to cycle through a few gig of different apps, ie, stuff for work, workout music, traveling with a ton of video to watch ect...)
    Well, for what it's worth, my opinion is that they did this partitioning to easily allow the system to unmount /media/internal and provide access to it as USB mass storage. This way, there's no chance that you're going to just delete a bunch of applications or screw something else up. Everything that is "operational" is living on a different partition and inaccessible. I would have liked to see them do things differently (something like shared access to a folder rather than a partition would have been cool and would have allowed the Pre to remain "alive" while USB access was turned on), but I don't know if it would have been feasible.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer