Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's too bad there's no Pre app like Android's Pintail.

Pintail

You'd be able to hunt down the ******* thief (well better to let the cops to it..)
    I know it's too late to help the op, but just last night I was playing with a method of sending a specially-formatted SMS message to a phone, and having it automatically reply with its location. So, I would send the message "sendcoord" to <myphonenumber>@messaging.sprintpcs.com, and the phone would reply with its coordinates to an email address previously specified. Good stuff...
    I followed this to set mine to send me an email every 20 minutes, telling me where it's at.

My pre is LoJacked!!
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    I know it's too late to help the op, but just last night I was playing with a method of sending a specially-formatted SMS message to a phone, and having it automatically reply with its location. So, I would send the message "sendcoord" to <myphonenumber>@messaging.sprintpcs.com, and the phone would reply with its coordinates to an email address previously specified. Good stuff...
    Do you have step-by-step directions on how to do this? Would probably be good to submit this to the tips & tricks doc as a way to "track your phone"
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    It's linked on my post, but here you go again, just in case:

GPS Tracking - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's linked on my post, but here you go again, just in case:

GPS Tracking - WebOS Internals
    Ah, so it requires rooting the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Ah, so it requires rooting the Pre?
    Yes, it requires you get root acess, and that you enable/run a cron script.

However, don't be intimidated, none of that is as difficult as it may appear.
    too bad latitude for google maps didn't come out yet that would have worked too
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac0Linux View Post
    It's too bad there's no Pre app like Android's Pintail.

Pintail

You'd be able to hunt down the ******* thief (well better to let the cops to it..)
    I'm willing to bet 20 cyber bucks that if you called the Fuzz and said you had a gps of where your stolen phone is, they would simply say "thats nice". No way to prove that it's yours until they pick the guy up, but they cant pick him up with out cause right? I'm no lawyer but everytime we have someone call us about their iphone getting stolen we say "I'm sorry to hear that, by adding a line to your account we can at least get a new one 2 you at a discount"....we don't offer to track it down.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    What gets me is that if the OP reports it to sprint as lost or stolen, then whoever has it cannot activate it. It's basically useless! Unless of course they are knowledgeable enough to hack it onto Verizon.

Sorry for the mishap OP.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I'm sorry to hear that may the fleas of a thousand camels nest in their crotch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I'm willing to bet 20 cyber bucks that if you called the Fuzz and said you had a gps of where your stolen phone is, they would simply say "thats nice". No way to prove that it's yours until they pick the guy up, but they cant pick him up with out cause right? I'm no lawyer but everytime we have someone call us about their iphone getting stolen we say "I'm sorry to hear that, by adding a line to your account we can at least get a new one 2 you at a discount"....we don't offer to track it down.
    I'll see if I can't find the article and post it.. Basically it was about another geek using a T-Mobile G1. His phone got lifted, I think off his table when he was looking away, by someone passing by. He had Pingtail installed and through SMS and google maps and another phone, they managed to track down the thief and retrieve the phone.

This guy got lucky, it could have turned out worse. I'm all for vigilantes when it turns out for the best, but what if the other guy got violent and it didn't turn out so hunky dory?
    Last edited by Drac0Linux; 07/27/2009 at 06:36 PM.
    A phones not worth dying for. That's for sure!
    A similar story:
    Google Latitude Recovers Stolen Phone, Thief Brought to Justice | Mobile Magazine

And here's the article blog post. My memory failed me, it was an iphone but the result is the same.
    http://happywaffle.livejournal.com/5890.html
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Have you received a ransom note yet? Mine was kidnapped not too long ago, good thing I had kidnapping insurance.
    LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac0Linux View Post
    I'll see if I can't find the article and post it.. Basically it was about another geek using a T-Mobile G1. His phone got lifted, I think off his table when he was looking away, by someone passing by. He had Pingtail installed and through SMS and google maps and another phone, they managed to track down the thief and retrieve the phone.

This guy got lucky, it could have turned out worse. I'm all for vigilantes when it turns out for the best, but what if the other guy got violent and it didn't turn out so hunky dory?
    I read one about a guy who had a sprint phone activated the Sprint Family tracker on their account which lets you track your phones wherever they are at as long as they are on. Once they did that they sent a text to the stolen phone saying, if the phone wasn't returned to the place it was stolen from they would send the cops to their house and included their address in the text. Needless to say in 5 minutes they watched the phone on sprint's website leave the house and drive back to the coffee shop that was 45 minutes away.
    That's a creative ploy!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    A phones not worth dying for. That's for sure!
    Now if only Foxconn would take that advice.
  19.    #39  
    1. Yes, my post was real.
    2. Tried the Sprint Family Locator, it gave me a location that was accurate within 848 yards.
    3. Wondered why the location wasn't more accurate.
    4. The Pre isn't yet on Sprints supported devices, although it did give me a general location.
    5. Sprint said Pre wasn't officially supported for real accurate location on Pre yet.
    6. Sh%#t!!
    7. Reported Pre as lost, had them switch me back over to my old Centro.
    8. Tried Family Locator with Centro, and even though Centro doesn't have built in GPS, was accurate within 12 yards.
    9. Had Family Locator given that kind of accuracy with the Pre, I would have knocked on someone's door.
    10. Oh yes, I DO have the insurance.
    11. Will be getting another Pre.
  20.    #40  
    Got my replacement Pre!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12