Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Moderator Note:
    If a website claims your Pre C: Drive has a virus, it doesn't. You don't have a C: Drive.
    This site is trying to install a virus or other malware onto a PC if they can get you to click their link.
    The Pre is a Linux Operating System device not a Windows device.
    So far there has not been a know case of a virus on a Pre.

Alright guys,

So my girlfriend just got her PRE. She was on facebook. Not the mobile facebook but the regular facebook. She was playing this star wars application then a virus thing popped up, did a scan she said and now its saying press now to clear off virus from the C:, D:, etc.

Thing is, i think it's just a website advert that tricks people into clicking...

I told her to take a screenshot. Here it is.

Can she just swipe that away? I think it's just the web playing tricks. THoughts? thanks..

imagejpeg_2.jpg
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/27/2009 at 04:14 PM.
    Unless her Pre is suddenly running a windows desktop OS, it's just a web page that loaded.
    It's 2009. People are still falling for this BS from 5 years ago? Jesus, no wonder people still spam.
  4. joelpalm
    She can close that card out and start over. But it gave me a good LOL
  5.    #5  
    yeah. soon as she said c: and stuff, I told here, the palm doesn't even have a c folder.... she wanted to be sure though. thanks people.
    Easiest way to get rid of that "virus": swipe it off the screen
    Have her send it to me, and I'll run a virus scan on it for her.
    lets try and use some more common sense before creating a thread called PRE VIRUS...

This crapola could end up on Mad money with Cramer hitting the SELL SELL SELL button....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    This has been happening quite often lately on FB. I'll be playing Mafia Wars and click on a menu item like "missions" and this friggin ad comes up. It's not virus they're just trying to scare people into buying their bogus "virus protection".
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I personally love FB, however FB fosters the exact behavior that gets one in trouble. "Just install this application, don't ask any questions. C'mon it'll be fun. We promise. Cross our hearts. We wouldn't lie to you. Honest"

Life in the Interwebs is tricky. Doubly so in the Interwebs 2.0.

@Rawandvital: Thanks for sharing the screencap, I used it for educating my wife as to the trickery that is out there. She confessed that she would've fallen for it.
    omg... this should go in the pre hall of fame haha best laugh in a long time.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    These have popping up a lot for me too. Tells me my mac has multiple infections... right
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    The app needs to be reported to facebook.
    People still play games on FB? Really?
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    omg... this should go in the pre hall of fame haha best laugh in a long time.
    Same here
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melo View Post
    These have popping up a lot for me too. Tells me my mac has multiple infections... right
    It's infected with Mac OS X

OT: I knew right away this thread wouldn't be a virus.. its a damn linux OS :P it's very hard to get a virus on linux lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    lets try and use some more common sense before creating a thread called PRE VIRUS...

This crapola could end up on Mad money with Cramer hitting the SELL SELL SELL button....
    A good reason for the mods to edit the title.
    This is a trojan hourse. However, it's trying to infect a windows desktop computer. (isn't gana work)
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    This is just one reason why I don't use any third-party apps on Facebook.
    We need to port clamav over to the pre, that way we can be 100% sure. but if it scanned your pre's c drive and you believed it....

oy vey...
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast