Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I have had my Pre about 6 weeks, no issues. I tried an Invisible Shield but took it off after 24 hours, didn't like the feel, especially around the edges. I have the Seidio holster clip (primary) and the Piel Frama holster (use it less). I have dropped my Pre twice, maybe 3 times, on hard surfaces with no visible damage. Yesterday, I noticed what looked like a scratch between the USB port and the screen, no big deal. Yesterday I saw that it was indeed a crack that extended up to the screen. Today there is a triangle of cracked screen (maybe 3-4 mm, certainly doesn't make it dysfunctional). I have contacted Asurion for a replacement (hellacious on a weekend, I will need to check in again tomorrow). My question is, would a screen protector that goes a little down the side have prevented this? Should I try a protector again? I hate a case, too, but should I consider that?
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDoc View Post
    I have had my Pre about 6 weeks, no issues. I tried an Invisible Shield but took it off after 24 hours, didn't like the feel, especially around the edges. I have the Seidio holster clip (primary) and the Piel Frama holster (use it less). I have dropped my Pre twice, maybe 3 times, on hard surfaces with no visible damage. Yesterday, I noticed what looked like a scratch between the USB port and the screen, no big deal. Yesterday I saw that it was indeed a crack that extended up to the screen. Today there is a triangle of cracked screen (maybe 3-4 mm, certainly doesn't make it dysfunctional). I have contacted Asurion for a replacement (hellacious on a weekend, I will need to check in again tomorrow). My question is, would a screen protector that goes a little down the side have prevented this? Should I try a protector again? I hate a case, too, but should I consider that?
    Considering the location I'm forced to wonder if the crack is caused by the opening and closing the USB port. If that's the case, and it's a defect in the design (and not just in your Pre) then it's hard for me to see how a screen protector would prevent this.
    Good luck getting Palm or Sprint to acknowledge it as a "known defect" if it was in fact from the USB cover.
    I've treated my Pre like a newborn child since day one. It's been in a case, handled with care, given lots of love.

Well, a crack appeared today next to the USB charging port. It's tiny and runs up from the bottom corner of the charging port and just to the edge of the screen.

The phone has never been dropped.

At the end of the day, I suppose it doesn't matter what I think (it's clearly a manufacturing/build quality/design problem).

I wonder how this is going to work out when I walk into the Sprint store tomorrow. There's zero chance I'm going to fork over $100 to have it replaced through insurance.

Anybody have a similar problem? How did it turn out?
    Had the exact problem with my wifes pre. Crack began at the very bottom of the usb and ran up the side. I can only surmise that it possibly happens when the charger is plugged into the usb port and the cover isn't pulled out all the way that the head of the charger when plugged in is putting pressure on the usb door. Nonetheless still think that its a design flaw and after an hour of pleading my case and providing other eveidence from others with same problem the manager was very gracious and exchanged it for a brand new one.