1.    #1  
    My first smartphone ever so please forgive me. I'm going from an i580 to the Palm Pre.

We are going on vacation next week and I want to put a few movies on my Pre. I know mp4 movies work. What else?

Also, can I just download iTunes, purchase any movie, and then put it on the Pre and it will work? What about resolution restrictions since the Pre is 480x320. Will the Pre play HD movies?

Sorry I haven't clue what it does as far as movie watching so a quick primer would be great!
    Movies from iTunes won't work as they have DRM
    Since the itunes movies have drm, you won't be able to play the movies you purchased.
    Quote Originally Posted by fscott55 View Post
    I know mp4 movies work. What else?
    The Pre supports MPEG-4, H.263, H.264.

Also, can I just download iTunes, purchase any movie, and then put it on the Pre and it will work?
    iTunes video is a proprietary M4V format, which is DRM-protected. You cannot play it on your Pre unless you convert to an appropriate format first. I can't tell you how to do that, since removing DRM protection is a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. However if you spend a few minutes on Google, you can find all kinds of information on this.

What about resolution restrictions since the Pre is 480x320. Will the Pre play HD movies?
    Technically, you probably could play an HD movie, but I can't imagine why you'd want to. HD movies are 1920x1080, and the Pre's screen, as you know, is only 480x320. Further, audio in an HD movie is going to be 5.1 or 7.1, while the Pre can only do 2.0 stereo at best. There's simply no reason to fill your Pre's limited storage space with such gigantic media files, when they won't look or sound any better than tiny ones would.

If you've got an HD movie you want to put on your Pre (or your iPod, or any other small-screen device), down-scale it first. You can do that with any full featured video editing software, such as Premiere, Vegas, or FinalCut, or there are any number of more singularly purposed programs available, such as Resize Video or SmartMovie. (Note, I've never used either of the latter two, so I can't vouch for their quality/functionality. Do your own research. I was just rattling off titles I know of.)
  5.    #5  
    So if not iTunes, then where can one buy movies in h264 format?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    So if not iTunes, then where can one buy movies in h264 format?
    People buy movies online? Do some searching through the site and you may find a few nice links.
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    The Pre supports MPEG-4, H.263, H.264.
    It actually supports a few more formats than that. The following is from the manual on what video formats the pre supports.

You can view videos in the MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2
    formats. Videos play on your phone in landscape orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    It actually supports a few more formats than that. The following is from the manual on what video formats the pre supports.

You can view videos in the MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2
    formats. Videos play on your phone in landscape orientation.
    Thanks for the correction.
    I have used Cucusoft Video to ipod converter and everything I convert with that plays on the pre.
    I use cucusoft as well for dvds or video. Works ok for me.

Had a Flip UltraHD laying around. Videos from it need to be converted. I also notice the Pre won't play anything uploaded to youtube from the Flip. Unless i downsize them before uploading.

As for getting video on the Pre that isn't converted from a disc or illegal, welp, you've not many options. This is kinda why many are griping that Palm didn't get something going with amazon for this along with some kind of desktop sync app. We all know itunes is a dead end.
    It works like a charm. Do a search on Handbrake in the forum.