1.    #1  
    Okay, call me anal, but I had to see this for myself...and now you're lucky enough to get to see it too!

With all the various explorations of what smileys are on the Pre, what text activates them, and how this differs from and/or is affected by texts received from other devices, I decided to take my previously posted little experiment a step further. Attached is a .pdf that shows the results of my testing (sorry, I don't have the tools to convert Excel charts to images; if anyone does, send me a PM and I'll send you the original Excel file for conversion). While I think it will be pretty self-explanatory to most viewers, let me offers these notes:

1. What I did was take all the various text/character strings listed for each emoticon in the emoticon-base-dictionary.txt file, per Korus99's post, and send them from my Pre to my wife's Centro in order to note the display results. While I used a Centro for comparison, my use of a Treo 650/755p the last fours years leads me to believe the results would be the same on these devices.

2. The "Typed" line of each emoticon section is the ACTUAL TEXT I TYPED and sent via text message.

3. The "Pre" line indicates the emoticon or text that displayed on the Pre once the message was sent.

4. The "Centro" line shows the emoticon or text that was displayed in the message received by the Centro.

5. I also compared the emoticon-base-dictionary.txt options for each emoticon with the options listed in the Help article on the Pre. Discrepancies (note especially the "embarrassed," "footinmouth" and "heart" sections) and omissions are noted in orange.

6. While I was able to use actual Pre emoticon images in my chart, I had to use "similar" Centro emoticons or create my own, as exact images don't seem to be readily available anywhere.

Hopefully this is at least amusing to most and perhaps helpful in some way to others. Questions and comments are welcomed.

FWIW, I'll take this opportunity to reiterate my recommendations for a) an emoticon picker on the Pre, and b) for Palm to at least ensure that the Pre's emoticons match their former, current, and future devices.

HTH,
    ME
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by OnePalmAddict; 07/26/2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Typo in title.
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Anal,

Thanks for your test.

awesome!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    FWIW, I'll take this opportunity to reiterate my recommendations for a) an emoticon picker on the Pre, and b) for Palm to at least ensure that the Pre's emoticons match their former, current, and future devices.
    Nice work. I agree with your recommendation for an emoticon picker for the Pre. This would make life easier. However, I don't think compatibility with the Centro should be what they're shooting for. They should shoot for compatibility with whatever the broader consensus is for these things. Emoticons are in use in so many places--it shouldn't just be text messages. Looks like they've done a pretty good job with the Pre emoticons.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer