Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    You pay taxes on the full price, not the discounted price (the 2 year deal). That why they always list the full price.

That is true for every state I believe. So perhaps the $99 price was a error in the computer and the taxes were mis-computed.
    Not here in Arizona.

You only pay tax on the price you actually pay for the item, not what the MSRP price is (unless, of course, that is what you are actually paying).
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Rev View Post
    Not here in Arizona.

You only pay tax on the price you actually pay for the item, not what the MSRP price is (unless, of course, that is what you are actually paying).
    Interesting...

Please if any Californian has purchased a Pre from BB during this deal PLEASE LIST YOUR TOTAL PRICE for 1 unit. How much were you taxed?

Thanks.
  3.    #23  
    I only paid $211_ including tax. No activation fee, to my surprise.

Best day-trip ever.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  4.    #24  
    I only paid $211_ including tax. No activation fee, to my surprise.

Best day-trip ever.

Edit: but i'm in Florida.
    Yep, paid the tax on the full $749 here too (CA resident). Glad we picked one up during this little price break! Back with Palm after a 1 year hiatus! (well, at least my wife is, Im still rocking my HTC Diamond )
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Rev View Post
    Not here in Arizona.

I was pretty sure most states do it by MSRP (more money of course). Some google searches didn't result in any lists.

But for me in California, I had to pay taxes on the MSRP.
    Alrighty thanks for clearing that up fellow Californians!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    In Los Angeles I know there is a 'device fee' and I forget if it goes to the state or county or what, but it's an additional tax meant to recover the environmental cost to the jurisdiction. That's about $35 on the Pre.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    In Illinois, I didn't have to pay tax on the MSRP. Here, the tax rate is based on the sale price of the item, but the exact percentage varies from town to town. In my town, we only pay 7.75% on top of the cost. Much better than that ~75% I must say.
    Congrats on getting your pres. I ended up paying $200 for my new pre without contract renewal. Then again I got mine off a guy on craigslist so i lucked out there. Hopefully they still have that deal here in my local best buy even though they have mentioned it was a mistake, but I just convinced my bro to switch from an iphone to a pre so if this is still going on it'll be SWEET!
    Well I don't know how taxes work in California, though CA is bankrupt so maybe they are desperate for money! Usually the tax is added to the total cost of the purchase, in your case $99.99. That's why the poster above only paid $111. I would go back and make BB fix it, unless again that's CA state law(~75% tax rate lawl?).
    It is a California tax calculation and it only affects cell phones. You pay on the full price, not the discounted price. My understanding is that it isn't the case in other states.

BTW, it was just reported that the $99 was an error and Best Buy has returned the price to $199. I wish I had gotten two instead of one, but my son didn't call me back in time. My daughter did. She's now a lucky Pre girl.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Today (sunday) I finally decided to go ahead and buy the Pre.
    After many times i've gone to the sprint store and returned with nothing (usually because I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay that much) I finally said that today I would buy it.

When I was going to the sprint store I saw a best buy right next door, so I went in to just look at the accessories (covers, etc) to see if they're cheaper than those at sprint's.
    I walk in and find the pre on display, I check the price tag, and its 99.99
    O_O

I just thought thats complete BS and there must be a million things tied to it.
    There wasn't.

I asked the rep and he told me that this is the price they were told to sell it for and it just happened today.
    Compare that to Sprint's $300 (then mail-in rebate)

Ofcourse I said let's do it, and was done.

In total I paid:
    $223.
    Thats including the phone, taxes, extra california tax (I live in Los Angeles), Rocketfish cover, and Zagg shield.

Only thing that I wasnt too happy about is that they charged me $150 deposit because of my non-existent credit history. I was told i'd get back in a year.

All in all, the phone is GREAT
    and what a deal... can't believe it.

*edit*
    Oh, and you don't pay activation fees upfront.
    Your first bill will come with an additional $36 for activation.
    I also got mines for $99, but had to pay the full MSRP tax (Cali resident)
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I went back to BB today in CA (bought phone at $199) and got refunded the $100 difference.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Cali is the only state (or one of the few) that have that stupid tax on full price deal. In MO, we pay tax on the price out of the door. I payed either $106 and change for mine yesterday. Also got hooked up on the Pick 3 before I went to buy the phone. Overall Sunday was a great Pre day for me! (I do have a slight Oreo effect though. Gonna give it two weeks before I put my PhantomSkinz on in case I need to take it back for an exchange)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    You pay taxes on the full price, not the discounted price (the 2 year deal). That why they always list the full price.

That is true for every state I believe. So perhaps the $99 price was a error in the computer and the taxes were mis-computed.
    Its really just California and some parts of Nevada. I work in a sales call center for ATT and when i send free phones to Cali they still pay taxes on the Retail price. A sony erickson w350a in California comes to something like $17 bucks if i recall correctly. But my ace in the hole are refurbished devices, their retail is $0 to the states
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post
    I just bought mine for $100 as well. They even put on Sprint TEP on mine even though I bought it at best buy. Awesome phone!

I did have to pay a $39 (i think) activation fee. Are we supposed to pay this??
    Nope,
    You can talk to SPRINT and tell ( not request , okay ) them to remove the activation.
    Normally they would do that for the fear of loosing a 2 year contract.
    Congrats, West old chum! I was wondering if anyone I knew would get to take advantage of this error.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    Congrats, West old chum! I was wondering if anyone I knew would get to take advantage of this error.
    Many thanks, sir. We found out it was a mistake after left the store and were driving back to Tallahassee.

It's still hard to believe.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    i just called my BB and they were selling it for 100 but i recently bought the exclaim at Radio Shack is there a way for me to exchange to phone at BB?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast