Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    update: 10/1/09
    crap its back!!!
    the same problem is back !!! And the worst part is my old "jump start" fix (read my old post below) doesn't work! aim wondering if my old trick not working, is maybe due to 1.2 ??? Well ilve been at it for a couple of days trying to fix and and nothin

So now the question I NEVER wanted to ask... Is this a legit reaon for Sprint to exchange for a new Pre?

this sucks cause I have a june6th Pre and this really has been the only problem.

Hey guys,

Well this marks my first real problem with my pre. My issue is my pre keeps acting like the headphone jack is in. For instance when I get a phone call, I notice no one talking. I look down and see the headphone/headset icon is on. So I switch it bach to speaker or phone. But it will keep doing that problem for the next calls.

Another example is youtube videos or pandora will not play through the speaker phone. When I plug in the headphones I can hear the music fine. But when I unplug them, silence.

I can hear the swosh sounds an notification sounds fine. And when I adjust the system volume (in the ringtone/sounds card) and I hear the ringer. But when I actually play a ringer call in the ringer list, again silence.

I remember someone posting something similar but I could ne find it again.

Any help or trouble shooting will be appreciated, thanks yall.
    Last edited by utslickvic; 10/01/2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: its back!!!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    A few ave reported that plugging in and unplugging the headphones again may solve the problem. Good luck
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I had this a few days ago. Plugging in & unplugging the headphones didn't work for me. I just did a reset--shut the phone down & rebooted & it has been fine ever since, with or without the headset.

Cheers
    I had the exact same problem but after removing the battery and putting it back twice, it solve the problem..
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I had this a few days ago. Plugging in & unplugging the headphones didn't work for me. I just did a reset--shut the phone down & rebooted & it has been fine ever since, with or without the headset.

Cheers
    Thanks for the quick response!

Plugging in/out the jack continuously isn't working for me

When yout say "rest--shut the phone off then reboot" do you mean just turn the phone off then boot it back up? I've tried this without any success. Did you mean a real "reset"... Some clarification. Thanks in advance !
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by utslickvic View Post
    When yout say "rest--shut the phone off then reboot" do you mean just turn the phone off then boot it back up? I've tried this without any success. Did you mean a real "reset"... Some clarification. Thanks in advance !
    I simply held the power button long enough to get the message:

Turn Off
    Airplane Mode
    Cancel

I tapped on "Turn Off", waited a few seconds, then turned the phone back on--it took a minute or two to come back up. It has worked for me since then. I didn't mess w/the battery or anything, though if my method doesn't work, you may give that a try.

Cheers
  7.    #7  
    Hey yall!

Well I was sh&tin bricks with my OP. Like I said the phone kept thinking it had a headphone jack was in. So when I received calls I could only talk in speaker mode. Again, I could hear the swosh sounds and notification sounds but could not play youtube / pandora over the speaker phone.

I tried EVERYThing. I plugged in/put the jack continuously, I rebooted my phone(not reset), I even took my phone apart and cleaned it! Nothing. I was sooooo down, then I got pissed b/c my pre is a debute lot and I hadn't had any problems thus far. Returning it was going to sour me on palm.

Then I thought all I got to do is somehow trick/force/jump-start the phone into playing music in speaker phone. "light bulb" touchstone! Put it on the touchstone then pulle up a youtube video... And bamm! My phone was slapped back into working order. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I saw another thread, can't remember where... but there are 2 ways of solving this, plug your headphone jacked in then play your music, while it's playing unplug it. That did the trick for me.

The other one I haven't tried was dial the number *2. Not sure if this works.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    insert headphone
    Kick on pandora
    Exit pandora
    Remove headphones

This came from another thread somewhere around here - and worked for me
    I had the same issue I had to play a song pause the song remove the headset them play again once music came through the speakers i was good to go.. If you look on palms forum i gueess this has been an issue
    I also had this happen to me, took a good 5 minutes straight of plugging/re-plugging the headphones while in a call and pressing the "speaker" button on and off. It finally fixed it.
    I did everything listed above and fixed the problem numerous times but it kept returning. I eventually got a replacement from Palm itself for free. My 2nd Pre is perfect.
    I had the same issue and tried everything above and the issue just kept recurring. I called Palm and was told there is a sensor near the headphone jack that determines if headphones are inserted or not so the Pre knows where to direct audio and the sensor can fail or malfunction (i.e. Pre thinks you have headphones plugged in even when you don't). As I was within 30 days, Palm told me to return the Pre for a new one which I did and the new one has been fine ever since.
    i think this is a palm issue. i constantly had this issue on my treo 700wx with multiple replacments of it. comes from using the headphones. that's why i never once used the headphone jack on the pre. it's still in the original box.
  15.    #15  
    bump for update (return of problem now what?)

read original post above (update story & ques)
    I have the same issue with my June 6th Pre (only problem too). I have tried everything everyone else has tried here. Hitting the speaker key and plugging and un plugginf work for my Pre. I get it back working on handset, but am scarred to use the jack now.

I too heard that it is hardware issue not software so Sprint is replacing these for free. Just have to be sure you don't get a refurb?

I need to know where to look for the code info on refurbs?
    This has happened to both my phone and a friend's phone. We both used a paper clip in the headphone jack to move the sensor and the problem went away. Not necessarily a permanent fix but at least worth a try for those of you who can't get any of the other ideas above to work.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Resolved this by trimming almost all of the tip off a q-tip (leaving just a few shreds of cotton), dipping that tip in rubbing alcohol, shaking it off, and using that tip to clean the inside of the headphone jack.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I had this happen to 2 of my pre's. I was unable to fix either despite trying many of the solutions mentioned here. I took both back and received replacements.

The last time I went into the Sprint store I demanded a new and not refurbished phone. I suppose because it was the 4th time I had brought a phone back the manager of the store had some pity on me and gave me a brand new pre.

So far so good on the 5th phone, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    My wife's June 6th Pre revealed this problem to us today. I searched PreCentral, tried plugging/unplugging a headset and that solved the problem. Had never experienced the issue before but I'm not sure she had ever used her headset before either. Faulty hardware/headset jack IMO. Yes, it should be grounds for replacement under warranty. It took me a while to get to a wired headset in order to remedy the situation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast