Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    How exactly is the best way to flip open your pre? For the life of me, I can't seem to master a sure fire way of doing it without looking like a complete *****. Half the time I struggle, then get two hands out and move it down to my waist to slide it open, the other half of the time it flies out of my hands and I lunge to catch it.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I like to grab it from the sides and slide down. Pushing on the screen to open the slider is a bad idea. Took me a little while to get the hang of it, but with a little practice, you can use the two-handed method and get it open pretty fast.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I grip the sides with 2 hands just like dead78. Or I'll push just under the center button with my thumb using one hand, although it sometimes gets stuck while sliding.

I do catch myself using the screen to open the device on a number of occasions. Oh well.
    I hold it in one hand, cupped in my fingers (not in the palm). My ring finger and thumb squeeze the far bottom corner just under the gesture area, my middle finger wraps around the the far side for stability, and my index finger rests against the top back of the case for a touch more balance. I then just push up with my thumb and call it a day.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    i just use my thumb on the screen and push up
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    i just use my thumb on the screen and push up
    Exactly... it couldn't be easier. Phone in hand... Thumb goes on screen, slides up, keyboard exposed, type away...

Why is this an issue? Is there something wrong with sliding it up using the screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    Pushing on the screen to open the slider is a bad idea.
    I initially thought the same thing. I would slide mine open from the bottom near the button but when I saw all the cracked screens starting from that area, I had to wonder if pushing from the bottom contributed to the cracks.

The Pre manual recommends using your thumb in the center of the screen and sliding open. I was hesitant to try it but I have to say it's much easier that way. Doesn't take that much effort at all.

Another way is to cradle the phone in both hands and use both thumbs to open.

Here is a pic from the manual which shows the recommended opening method:

Yeah I also use my thumb and push it up. It is a lot easier to do with an invisible shield...BELIEVE ME.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I use the two hand method. I was intially paranoid about putting too much pressure on the screen with the one hand thumb method. May give it a try at some point though.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Thumb in the upper-middle of the screen, like the diagram above. I find that often the oil from my fingers on the screen makes it hard to grasp and I lick my thumb a bit for traction.
    I take mine to the Sprint store and have them do it for me.

OK, that was sarcasm. Actually, I push on the screen, a little south of center, one handed, pretty much like the picture shown a few posts above.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I bought a screen opener for 200 dollars that automatically opens my phone when I say "PALM PRE OPEN" and close when I say "PALM PRE SLEEP"
    lol
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrex View Post
    How exactly is the best way to flip open your pre? For the life of me, I can't seem to master a sure fire way of doing it without looking like a complete *****. Half the time I struggle, then get two hands out and move it down to my waist to slide it open, the other half of the time it flies out of my hands and I lunge to catch it.
    Mine doesn't flip... it slides, I didn't know there were multiple versions of the Pre? is this new "flip" part of the 1.1 upgrade?
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I initially thought the same thing. I would slide mine open from the bottom near the button but when I saw all the cracked screens starting from that area, I had to wonder if pushing from the bottom contributed to the cracks.

The Pre manual recommends using your thumb in the center of the screen and sliding open. I was hesitant to try it but I have to say it's much easier that way. Doesn't take that much effort at all.

Another way is to cradle the phone in both hands and use both thumbs to open.

Here is a pic from the manual which shows the recommended opening method:

I can't recommend this method seeing as I cracked my screen somehow doing this last week, I applied the usual amount of pressure and the entire display cracked, no kidding.

Got a new phone and the palm profile failed me and I lost all my contacts. So, essentially I wouldn't recommend pushing on the screen to open the phone. Over time it seems to stick more often or be less likely to slide easy.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I does the official way as Palm documents.

I did experienced with two-hand method, essentially push from two sides up. However, I think that contributed to the loose slider and Oreo effect. I found when I don't pay attention, one of my hand tends to push hard, which creates an uneven force and forcing one end to the side. Also push from the sides tends to create forces that push the top half upwards.

But I must say, using the thumb on screen method is hard when the slide was tight and screen was slippery.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    first you will need screw driver, a fork, and some duct tape.
    I have the touchtone back and a Phantom Skinz cover, and now the Pre is much easier to open with my thumb on the screen. The back is a little more "grippy", and the Phantom Skinz makes the screen less slippery, and I worry less about doing anything to it. Before that, I used to try to push up near the bottom of the gesture area, but it's way easier and definitely one-handed sliding now.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Thumb in the upper-middle of the screen, like the diagram above. I find that often the oil from my fingers on the screen makes it hard to grasp and I lick my thumb a bit for traction.
    Eww - gross. Do you also lick your fingers before flipping through money?
    i push mine up one handed from the bottom middle of the phone, i dont want to get anywhere close to the screen (i have a tendency to break things).

i feel if i push up on the bottom of the phone it also takes any major pressure off the front display and displaces it across the whole bottom and sides.

and that is what my mommy told me to do
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast