Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Hi all, how come most articles i read before the palm pre was launched say that it has a 600mhz processor. Now I know it has one in it, but why would palm release it clocked at 500mhz. It seems like you would want to push the processor for all its worth, especially since other smartphones are using cpu's like snapdragon and so forth. Do you think they are going to do like the psp did, launch it underclocked and then later open it up to the full 600mhz?
    There are a few potential reasons for this one is a lower frequency will will increase the battery life. A second is to improve memory performance, memory has to be a multiple of the processor speed, and it's often the case that stepping down the cpu frequency will allow the memory system to operate at full speed. Also remember that I/O and memory transactions are the bottle neck in any system. So improving the speed of that vs a 100 Mhz may have a more significant impact on the overall speed of the pre.

This is a stab in the dark though I don't work for palm and don't really know their reasoning empirically.
    I'm sure they clocked it at 500 because of battery life. They limited it to 600 in the OS, and plenty of people have clocked it there, and it works, but the battery life suffers unless you're using cpu scaling. I'm clocked at 550 full time right now, with smartreflex voltage regulation on, and my battery life is good. I'm sure once the OS is more optimized, they will patch it to run at the higher speeds, as of now, both smartreflex and cpuscaling have issues that make them not ideal for the mainstream.
    Quote Originally Posted by czz7661 View Post
    A second is to improve memory performance, memory has to be a multiple of the processor speed, and it's often the case that stepping down the cpu frequency will allow the memory system to operate at full speed.
    I'm not sure this is true for anything in the last 10 years or so.
    Heat issues also.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon6535 View Post
    Hi all, how come most articles i read before the palm pre was launched say that it has a 600mhz processor. Now I know it has one in it, but why would palm release it clocked at 500mhz. It seems like you would want to push the processor for all its worth, especially since other smartphones are using cpu's like snapdragon and so forth. Do you think they are going to do like the psp did, launch it underclocked and then later open it up to the full 600mhz?
    Do a search for "CPU Scaling" and "SmartRefelx" in the forums. You'll will come to the conclusion that it has to do with battery life & heat. It's been enabled to full-speed by some, but read through and you can probably see why Palm decided on 500Mhz (for now...maybe)
    Is this true it's only at 500mhz?
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    Is this true it's only at 500mhz?
    Yes
    No it definitely still holds true on every architecture with a synchronous bus, which most embedded platforms do use.