Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am tired of reading about people complaining of poor battery life. This is only an 1150mah battery folks. There is not a smartphone alive that will last very long on this size of a battery. This is the battery that was used in the Treo 800w and Centro. Neither had great battery life. When you have a device that is physically this small that is the trade off. I think that the Pre does pretty well with battery life due to its large and bright capacitive touch screen. You must charge this phone during the day to guarantee enough juice. That is reality. The only option you will have to increase battery life is to get a second battery or purchase the new Seidio 2600mah battery which will make your device thicker and not fit in any of the Palm branded cases. It is your choice.
    There are many other issues to discuss about the Pre so let's work on things we can actually change and stop complaining about battery life.
    Stop whining about me whining about battery life! This is a smartphone sold in 2009 for a premium price, there isnt a person alive foolish enough to think this was the best Palm could do.

There are many other issues to discuss about the Pre so lets work on things we can actually change like way to maximize battery life on the Pre.
    yesterday my battery lasted all day with aim on, i could not believe it.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    PPYHOUYA-Prior to 1.1 upgrade battery life was tolerable-Post 1.1 it SUCKS!!!! Thats the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    I am tired of reading about people complaining of poor battery life.
    The solution is simple....stop reading about it!

The only option you will have to increase battery life is to get a second battery or purchase the new Seidio 2600mah battery
    Those aren't the only options. There are 1350 and 1400 mAh batteries out there that are the same physical size. Not much of a boost but maybe enough for some of the heavy users to make it through an entire day.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorr View Post
    PPYHOUYA-Prior to 1.1 upgrade battery life was tolerable-Post 1.1 it SUCKS!!!! Thats the issue.
    When I first got my Pre, I switched the phone network preferences to Sprint only instead of automatic. This turned off roaming which my phone was constantly trying to do. It definitely helped battery life.

After the 1.1 update, the setting got switched back to the default "automatic" option so I had to switch it to Sprint only again.

My Pre still has signal issues, bars jumping all over the place where my 800w and Centro were pretty stable, but at least it's not jumping into roaming anymore.

I'm just curious how long it will be before the next WebOS phone will become available. The Pre is my first slider and while I appreciate the larger screen, I'm still undecided if I'd want to see another slider for WebOS.
    I am tired of reading about people complaining of poor battery life. This is only an 1150mah battery folks. There is not a smartphone alive that will last very long on this size of a battery. This is the battery that was used in the Treo 800w and Centro. Neither had great battery life.
    The battery life on my Centro destroys that of my Pre with the exact same size battery. Stop trolling and telling people their problems aren't real.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Why is it not okay to complain about battery life because palm put in an underpowered battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorr View Post
    Weird, I experienced the exact opposite effect. Took my Pre off the Touchstone around 6pm or so last night, used it for navigation while playing MP3s and taking a couple of phone calls (with AIM running in the background). Texted with it at a party last night several times. When I woke up this morning around 10am, battery was at 44% Could just be a coincidence, but before I'd make it half the day of normal use before I was less than 20% left.

So, it's improved a bit in my experience.
    I am tired of reading about people complaining of poor battery life. This is only an 1150mah battery folks. There is not a smartphone alive that will last very long on this size of a battery.
    Lol- your missing the point, which is yhy Palm put a 1150 in the Pre in the first place! Many thought they learned their lesson with the Treo 800/850!

Still- my Pre battery is fine- but I wish Palm had put the Pro's battery in it.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    My 8310 Blackberry has an 1100mah battery at it lasts two days w/o recharging. My wife's Pre does good to last six hours. I think I'll whine a little longer.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrrrr View Post
    My 8310 Blackberry has an 1100mah battery at it lasts two days w/o recharging. My wife's Pre does good to last six hours. I think I'll whine a little longer.
    A lot depends on signal strength, usage and settings. I've gotten a little over two days on a charge with my Pre.
    This is only an 1150mah battery folks. There is not a smartphone alive that will last very long on this size of a battery.
    Yet another example of Palm's inability to rise above mediocrity when it comes to smartphone hardware design decisions. I'm guessing their deliberate choice of a small battery led to their unfotunate decision to underclock the CPU which, in turn, is attributable to the jerky/choppy flow of the OS. Yes, it's a slippery slope when a company goes the cheap route on a premium-priced phone.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Lol- your missing the point, which is yhy Palm put a 1150 in the Pre in the first place! Many thought they learned their lesson with the Treo 800/850!

Still- my Pre battery is fine- but I wish Palm had put the Pro's battery in it.
    My thoughts exactly..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yet another example of Palm's inability to rise above mediocrity when it comes to smartphone hardware design decisions. I'm guessing their deliberate choice of a small battery led to their unfotunate decision to underclock the CPU which, in turn, is attributable to the jerky/choppy flow of the OS. Yes, it's a slippery slope when a company goes the cheap route on a premium-priced phone.
    And I suspect that the fact that Palm sells a $70 touchstone add on accessory made from $4 in parts (= huge profit margin) contributed to their going with such a small battery. Maybe they think that if he Pre's battery life is bad enough they will sell more touchstone chargers and make more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    And I suspect that the fact that Palm sells a $70 touchstone add on accessory made from $4 in parts (= huge profit margin) contributed to their going with such a small battery. Maybe they think that if he Pre's battery life is bad enough they will sell more touchstone chargers and make more money.
    Very true. They made quite a bit from my girlfriend and I on touchstones alone.
    Note in this post between charges is from 100% to automatic shut off. Typically I will charge up when I get down to about 35% give or take 5%. But projecting for the remaining amount is consistent with through tests of draining until power off. I had the blackberry 8330 before the pre. It came with 1150 mAh battery as well. I had it connected to 3 push emails, ran several background apps (twitter, 3 IMs, viigo RSS, cell tower tracker, usage tracker), left GPS on all the time, left BT on all the time, along with my normal daily usage and got 1.5 to 2 days between charges. On the pre I get at best 1 day between charges with same daily us but only 2 push emails, no background apps running, no IM connectionsconnections, GPS off and BT off. Obviously it could be better optimized though I wouldn't expect to get 2 day or more between charges because the pre has a more powerful CPU. But it is obvious that there is a vast difference in performance between pres with identical settings and circumstances.

For example my bro and I set ours identical and tracked signal details etc to make sure circumstances were nearly identical. Our daily usage is nearly identical as well. His pre battery consistently drains at a rate of about 2.5% per hour idle and mine 5% per hour idle. This is with all power savings things done that are possible. Consistently since updating to 1.1 my battery now drains at 10% per hour. I verified visually that all power savings things are still setup right. If it was just a day or two fluke it'd be one thing but every day indicates to me something is wrong since updating. Obviously not everyone is expereincing issues post updates. But after every update there appears to be some who have experienced this reduction in time between charges. So what I am now wondering is what happened to my pre upon updating to 1.1 and those others who experienced similar after updating to 1.1 And even with previous updates that is causing the increase in drain? Since nothing has changed other than the update something happened as a result of the update to increase drain but not for everyone. So there must be something specific related to those who are effected. Obviously I'm trying to find out. I still have about 300 threads to look at before I have cought up to every thread posted. I don't know if any of them will shed light on this. So far up until before 1.1 released I hadn't seen anything new related to effecting battery drain.

To date the following are known to drain the battery significantly more and so not using or minimizing use will reduce drain:

GPS (even when not being used by an app)
    Email (either incoming or checking to frequent [as items arrive is best only if getting little mail])
    BT (not nearly as much a drain as GPS but still impacts)
    IM connections ( appear to be the worst drain)
    Twitter check for new (tweed and maybe others drain the battery as much or worse than GPS for some reason a serious issue in need of investigation to fix them)
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Thanks Trekker for reminding me to check that the phone was Sprint Only. I noticed the other day I was roaming, and I wondered how that was possible since I had it set to Sprint Only. Maybe changing it back will help with battery life.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Pre's battery is fine for me. I have a car charger. It's a powerful smartphone. What's the issue?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    @techgeek32: Don't tell me what to do!

Seriously, though. I don't see it as complaining so much as discussing/comparing with other users to see what kind of experience they are getting/what steps they are taking to improve their experience.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast