Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My phone seems to drain at approx 2.7% per hour but that is with light usage including some texting, and receiving reading emails randomly coming in from three accounts and a couple web page views. Even on heavier usage days, it still seems to hang below 3% per hour. I usually still have well over 60% charge after 11 hours.
    What are your pre settings? you are probably the only one on the forum with 60% charge after 11hrs. I would really like to know the settings to see if it works for my pre
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegeester68 View Post
    My phone seems to drain at approx 2.7% per hour but that is with light usage including some texting, and receiving reading emails randomly coming in from three accounts and a couple web page views. Even on heavier usage days, it still seems to hang below 3% per hour. I usually still have well over 60% charge after 11 hours.
    This is why you're sick of other people complaining. Not everyone is getting as good of battery life as you. Normally after 11 hours I have around 20% left. If you were getting that sort of battery life would you be complaining?

Quote Originally Posted by sprintpre2973 View Post
    What are your pre settings? you are probably the only one on the forum with 60% charge after 11hrs. I would really like to know the settings to see if it works for my pre
    I'd be interested too, what are your settings thegeekster68?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Lets compare,

Typical phone gets a week standard usage
    Laptop computer typically at most 3-4hours with full battery use
    My PocketPC back in the day would get about 8-10hours of use even with the extended battery pack slide.

Comparing Pre to other phones is like comparing Rotary phone to Cell. Difference components and arch all together. Yes, could they designed it with a bigger battery, then people would complained that it was too thick. Way it was designed was for aesthetic and functionality. Heat of the larger battery comes into play also, which now you have to dissipate not to harm the CPU and other Solid state components. So yes i believe the had to do what they did for more than one reason but the phone works well for size, whats in it and what they had to use to keep the price reasonable, cost effective to survive.
    My only battery issues come when I am at home. Before the Pre I had at least 3 bars on my Sprint phones (Curve, 800w, Centro), and now I run typically at 1 bar. If I force to 1xRTT only and run my WiFi, I get decent battery life. I've never read anywhere about the Tweed client causing major battery drain, and I don't see it on my Pre. GPS, at least with Sprint Nav, definitely needs some tweaking from Palm because that guzzles the battery. I just use my car charger on the way to work, at lunch time, and then on the way home. I never drop below 50% by night's end with this strategy, and I use mine quite heavily (I love surfing on this phone).

Fix the signal issue and I'm a happy camper.
    Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    I am tired of reading about people complaining of poor battery life. This is only an 1150mah battery folks. There is not a smartphone alive that will last very long on this size of a battery. This
    So because Palm made a bad engineering decision we should just accept it? Can you say Fanboi? I knew you could.

Regardless, a big part of battery use comes down to software optimisation, so there may well be more life left in that battery than you think, if enough people complain to get Palm to fix it. Besides, people are going to complain about what impacts their use of the phone, so grin and bear it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Here's an Idea...
    While on a flight from PHX to BWI the lady in the seat across the aisle, listened to music on her pre the whole flight (about 5 hrs). HOW? She had it running off her laptop battery. Kinda smart. Note: Airplane mode shuts off the transmitters too.

I like my pre, would like better battery life, and make adjustments to make to best of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Lol- your missing the point, which is yhy Palm put a 1150 in the Pre in the first place! Many thought they learned their lesson with the Treo 800/850!

Still- my Pre battery is fine- but I wish Palm had put the Pro's battery in it.
    They had to make several decisions as to making the device with all premium parts to making it in such a way it could be sold at a decent price.

Apple got away with this by heavily subsidizing their phones; AT&T takes a huge hit on loss when an iphone is bought, but is covered by expensive plans (relative to other phones).

Palm doesn't have the funding apple does and can't take huge risks as they were on the verge before the pre.

My pre can get about a 30-40% loss being on 8-10 hrs but that is with me not using it much; the wifi and bluetooth shut off when the phone is asleep, as well as the battery goes into low drain when the screen is off. So it's no wonder that if you don't play with the phone every 5 minutes it gets better battery life.

Just be glad that the pre didn't go on verizon. I have been using HTC devices for the past 5 years and I HATE verizon for nerfing the specs on every phone they put out. The only upside was my mogul could go 2-3 days between charges. Even my 6700 needed a charge just about every day or I would risk it going into shut off mode (phone off, wifi off, ect.) It could be MUCH worse, and even with the substandard battery life I still love my pre.

On a side note, if the battery is really the only thing people b!tch about, then I consider it a success for palm. It's a known fact that the closer you get to perfection, the more people complain about the small things.

On a related note, this is why iPhone peeps complain about AT&T so much. We just get to complain about the battery :P
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    My only battery issues come when I am at home. Before the Pre I had at least 3 bars on my Sprint phones (Curve, 800w, Centro), and now I run typically at 1 bar. If I force to 1xRTT only and run my WiFi, I get decent battery life. I've never read anywhere about the Tweed client causing major battery drain, and I don't see it on my Pre. GPS, at least with Sprint Nav, definitely needs some tweaking from Palm because that guzzles the battery. I just use my car charger on the way to work, at lunch time, and then on the way home. I never drop below 50% by night's end with this strategy, and I use mine quite heavily (I love surfing on this phone).

Fix the signal issue and I'm a happy camper.
    Odd thing for me is I get the same signal quality on the pre as I have on all my previous phones. The reason I compared to the 8330 was because other than minor differences in hardware nearly all of the variable are identical. As far as tweed I haven't tried to find out how many others were seeing an impack on battery. Prior to updating to 1.1 when tweed fixed the false notifications I updated tweed and turned on the notification feature. My battery drained twice as fast as a result. Turned it off after a few days and drain went back to the 5% per hour i was getting prior to then. I'm willing to try it again to see if the same occurs again but I first need to track down why after updating to 1.1 the battery is draining twice as fast as before and the only change was updating to 1.1.

I've seen a decent number of people report getting between 2-3% idle drain but this appears to be small in comparison to those reporting 5% or higher. Those with 10% or more drain per hour idle seems to be about as rare as those reporting 2-3% obviously this is only from my limited perspective of pre owners. I was happy once I had 5% per hour but winding up with it draining twice as fast and nothing changed except updating to the newest version of webOS that to me is a problem I have no control over and frankly irked me. I'm willing to put up with it for a time to figure out if there is something I can do to counter the problem but it is rather annoying to have to worry if the battery will die and keeping it on the charger to avoid it dieing when I'm away from home. Not to mention the worst of it the more times you charge up these kinds of batteries the less time you get out of the lifespan since the lifespan is measured in recharge cycles.

So does anyone have any post 1.1 update information that can help those of us who have had drastic change in battery drain such as my case?
    if your sick of the whining...
    ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrrrr View Post
    My 8310 Blackberry has an 1100mah battery at it lasts two days w/o recharging. My wife's Pre does good to last six hours. I think I'll whine a little longer.
    I'm sorry, but if your wife only gets 6 hours of battery life, then she doesn't know how to use a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJetsAggies View Post
    I'm sorry, but if your wife only gets 6 hours of battery life, then she doesn't know how to use a phone.
    Hmm. I'm getting less than 6 hours on my Pre. Could you please teach me how to use my phone?
    StoneRyno

I'm experiencing terrible battery life =(. I updated to 1.1 last week (i don't remember exactly, but it was the night it came out). The battery life seemed the same up until yesterday. I noticed when I woke-up after it being fully charged before I went to sleep that there was only 4% left. So I charged it before work. I used my phone occassionally at work to text and AIM and usually it's around 30 or 40% at like 6 or 7 at night, but this time it was down to 7% at 6:30 PM. I charged it to 90% at work and then took it off charge. When I got home from work around 11 PM, it was down to 30%. grrrrr. I charged it fully after work and left it over night. When I woke up this morning it was down to 30%. This all started happening a few days after updating to 1.1.

Also, another weird thing I noticed the past 2 mornings. When I woke up yesterday the clock was 35 minutes ahead and when I woke up today the clock was 10 minutes ahead. If I restarted my phone the clock would re-adjust to the right time, but it's very annoying having my alarm wake me up way early, haha.

I'm interested to see if anyone else is having very unreasonable battery life after updating to 1.1 AND a fast clock? I might have to take my pre in to exchange it. This is my second and my 30 day satisfaction thing is nearly up.
    You're all going to hate me...

Just to test things out last night, I did a little experiment. I started up Spaz and left that running, set my e-mail to instant notification, had myself signed in to my Google Chat, had the Web open to www.precentral.net, Messages was open, and the Clock app was open for my alarm.

Pre had literally just been pulled off of a full charge from the Touchstone when I went to sleep. When the alarm woke me up 8 hours later, my battery was at 96%. This was with 6 new Messages, about 20 new e-mails, several new Twitter updates on Spaz (at least 30).

Granted, I was not physically playing around with the phone in my sleep, so the screen had been off for the most part. But saying all that, the battery life from my experience really isn't that bad.
    haha, well before the 1.1 update. If I left it on over night it would be no lower than 95% even if I was signed on AIM and had multiple e-mails/texts....but now however, it's just terrible
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12