1.    #1  
    Greetings all,

I've read quite a bit about hacking tethering into the Pre, but at this point I'm done with that. Is anyone aware of any plans by Sprint to formally offer Phone As Modem for the Pre? It seems ridiculous that I can do this with my Treo 700P on Verizon, but not on a Pre?

Thanks,
    MB
    Phone as a modem seems to be something Sprint isn't very interested in at all anymore. Though there are several phones that still offer the service, it is nearly impossible to find any information about the plans, and I'm not sure they are offered at all anymore.

So to answer your question, the Pre may never have phone as a modem support.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Sprint does not offer Phone as Modem on any of the Everything Data plans. Consequently, unless that changes, one can not add Phone as Modem to a plan using a Pre.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    This would be why you buy Sprint mobile broadband separate... But what fun is that?
    To Honor With Dignity- USAF Honor Guard
    Quote Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
    This would be why you buy Sprint mobile broadband separate... But what fun is that?
    You can use your phone at the same time as your internet when you have a separate data card...

PAM has its place, but it can't be added to any of the Everything Data plans unfortunately.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Sorry for thread-jacking...

Does anyone know if Sprint will charge me extra if I use tethering? I'm going on a trip soon and it may be my only source of internet.
    Sprint decided that they would rather take a smaller number of new subscribers then incrementally increasing the ARPU for their current subscribers. Thus they have begun heavily pushing separate data cards over tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    Sorry for thread-jacking...

Does anyone know if Sprint will charge me extra if I use tethering? I'm going on a trip soon and it may be my only source of internet.
    How would they know if you used it or not? I used 4gb of data the first month I owned the phone, without tethering. They have no way of knowing if you are tethering either, because the phone treats the packets the same way as when you aren't.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    You can use your phone at the same time as your internet when you have a separate data card...

PAM has its place, but it can't be added to any of the Everything Data plans unfortunately.
    But that's just some arbitrary business decision.

I don't want a second device. Verizon seems understand my business need. Good thing I didn't cancel my VZW account while trialing the Pre. Goodbye Sprint. Hello, trusty old 700P on a better network.

-MB
    The only legit way to get data, is to add on a data modem (the separate device one). I believe that if you have a pre, you qualify for a discount on the plan.
    I wonder if doing it "legally" on Sprint is more or less expensive than doing it legally on Verizon?

I also think that when AT&T finally opens tethering to iPhone customers Sprint may also do it.

I'm still waiting on the sidelines with my trusty, USB-tetherable to Mac OS X, Instinct (thus My Tether is also not an option for me.)

Also the Sprint reception in my home is pretty poor so if I stay with Sprint I'll have to most likely get one of the Airave's (waiting for 2.0 on that as well.) For that matter AT&T is also poor while Verizon is pretty good. So right now nothing is screaming at me to spend money on.
  12.    #12  
    It costs me an extra $15 a month to tether (or PAM in Sprint-lingo) my Mac lappy to my Treo 700P over Bluetooth. It's worked flawlessly for years and the only thing that pushed me over to the Pre is that I wanted a modern browser in my phone. Didn't even bother checking on tethering before I made the switch given how old the capability is.

Too bad, as Sprint's network coverage was just good enough for me and I would have stayed with a tethering option.

-MB

Quote Originally Posted by gilroykilroy View Post
    I wonder if doing it "legally" on Sprint is more or less expensive than doing it legally on Verizon?

I also think that when AT&T finally opens tethering to iPhone customers Sprint may also do it.

I'm still waiting on the sidelines with my trusty, USB-tetherable to Mac OS X, Instinct (thus My Tether is also not an option for me.)
    Quote Originally Posted by belanger View Post
    It costs me an extra $15 a month to tether (or PAM in Sprint-lingo) my Mac lappy to my Treo 700P over Bluetooth. It's worked flawlessly for years and the only thing that pushed me over to the Pre is that I wanted a modern browser in my phone. Didn't even bother checking on tethering before I made the switch given how old the capability is.

Too bad, as Sprint's network coverage was just good enough for me and I would have stayed with a tethering option.

-MB
    You can have tethering on your Pre with MyTether. I think there is an install app that doesn't require rooting. It's the same data cap (5gb/month) as the separate data card, but it's free... So why not just do that?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    You can have tethering on your Pre with MyTether. I think there is an install app that doesn't require rooting. It's the same data cap (5gb/month) as the separate data card, but it's free... So why not just do that?
    Honestly, because I wasn't aware of it (and according to the site you still need to root your phone).

That said, I could easily root my phone and install the free tethering package. the point is that I don't want to deal with all the headaches and the ultimate potential that Spring might shut me down.

I just need tethering maybe 2-3 days per month. I want a simple, reliable solution and I'm willing to pay for it. I know Verizon understands my use case, so I'll just go back to them. Sounds like they'll be getting the Pre in 4-5 months anyway...

Thanks for all the feedback, but I think we can shut this thread down now.

-MB