Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    So maybe its not useful to judge Sprint.com's inventory based on a few data points, but I want to make sure Sprint.com isn't trying to get rid of bad inventory. If you ordered and received a Pre from Sprint.com, just reply with the build quality of it in regards to all the discovered problems (oreo, pixels, speaker, etc.)

I recently returned my Pre for the oreo effect. I used my friend's iPhone today, and it just didn't compare for me. I'm looking to order a Pre from Sprint.com so I can feel complete again.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I just recieved 2 brand new ones from sprint.com yesterday. 1 feels and looks perfect. The other was loose(oreo) and volume side of phone 3mm more of gap than the charger side.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I have gone to multiple Sprint stores and all the pre's have suffered from Oreo and/or a gap.

One of the stores, the Mangaer seemed to be honest, and said they were getting a lot of returns for screen problems, primarily bad pixels.

*sigh* webOS is so promising... to bad it isn't on solid, supported hardware.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    It's a Palm tradition to skimp on hardware quality.
    The return numbers must be higher than what they are saying. I am on my fourth Pre and this one seems pretty solid so far. I am in a Sprint store a couple of times per week and I have seen no less than 2 Pre's being returned or exchanged for quality issues every time. I think Sprint is suppressing the actual number of returns to not scare new customers away. Very similar to what happened with the Verizon Blackberry Storm. I hope they get the build quality squared away or we will see a new redesigned Pre or similar quicker than expected which will leave all of us needing to pay full price for a better quality phone. Hope that doesn't happen.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    which will leave all of us needing to pay full price for a better quality phone.
    HA! We should start a lawsuit if that happens. So we screwed up really bad when the Pre launched...and if you want one that works correctly...you need to pay 600 dollars for it. I would switch to the 3GS in roughly 3.4 seconds.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You know, I've never had a problem with Palm's hardware quality before the Pre:

Palm Pilot Professional - Good hardware quality

Palm Vx
    - Best hardware quality of any Palm device ever

Sony Clie - Not Palm hardware but ran PalmOS

Treo 600
    - Very good hardware quality (lousy camera)

Treo 650
    - Very good hardware quality (mediocre camera)

Treo 700p
    - OK hardware quality - looked just like the 650 but plastic felt thinner / cheaper and had creaking problems

Pre - I have had many, many well documented hardware problems with the screen especially, slider, battery and phone radio.

Centro - Very good hardware quality

Aside from the Pre the only Palm device I've had any problems with is the 700p and those problems were mostly software related. I have both hardware and software problems with the Pre (but I'm keeping it).
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    HA! We should start a lawsuit if that happens. So we screwed up really bad when the Pre launched...and if you want one that works correctly...you need to pay 600 dollars for it. I would switch to the 3GS in roughly 3.4 seconds.
    Unfortunately that's pretty much exactly what Palm has done with regard to software problems in the past.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    My phone from Sprint.com is PERFECT!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yeah... I figured out I have the "oreo twist" on my Pre and it's been past a month. Ugh.
    I'm not a fan of the hardware either.

I want a big phone to run WebOS, dual slider!
    Hopefully that's not twice as many problems.

Seriously though, I never expect a phone to have such hardware issues.
    I mean, things like "heat discoloration" ... who cares. Makes the product have a tan on the back, lol.
    Things like oreo twist... UGH.
    The hardware already looks pretty cheap as it is.

Oh well, atleast the software is tight.
    I wonder when they come out with a better touchscreen WebOS phone... if I'll have upgrade eligibility or not.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    I have gone to multiple Sprint stores and all the pre's have suffered from Oreo and/or a gap.

One of the stores, the Mangaer seemed to be honest, and said they were getting a lot of returns for screen problems, primarily bad pixels.

Pay no attention to Clack. He isn't interested in the Pre. He's shorting Palm's stock. His posts here have been nothing but sowing doubt, always critical, and full of bull.

In only his second post on this site, out of the myriad of negative posts he's made, he directs you to his real attention, the stock market on Palm:

07/05/2009, 02:33 PM
    Replies: 6
    Preordained: Palm's Pre: Likely to Break
    Views: 423
    Posted By Clack
    Preordained: Palm's Pre: Likely to Break

This is a business analysis of Palm running on "vapor cash" and " ... concerned that yield and supply problems will hurt unit contribution and potentially limit volumes"

The article cane found...

You become more and more OBVIOUS by the day, Clack.
    Sharon thinks everyone that says anything negative about the Pre is an investor spy who has infiltrated PreCentral on a secret mission to drive down the stock price.
    got mine from sprint
    works perfect
    i am on my second Pre first one had dead pixels, this has a slight wiggle to it but nothing drastic. feels kinda normal, so far i am very happy with the hardware knock on wood.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech004 View Post
    i am on my second Pre first one had dead pixels, this has a slight wiggle to it but nothing drastic. feels kinda normal, so far i am very happy with the hardware knock on wood.
    Second from Sprint.com?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub2027 View Post
    Second from Sprint.com?
    no it was from the store, i commented because the Pre in general probably had a few bad batches out there, i don't think it matters where you get it from.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yep

but if you've been using Palm devices for a while you get used to it.
    you should have got the 755 this would have fixed all your other Treo problems...and the Centro problems that you did not mention....small keyboard
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I don't think other Palm devices had hardware problems like this.
    I think it's also because it's Palm's first time doing a slider? Thought that's probably not it.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Sharon thinks everyone that says anything negative about the Pre is an investor spy who has infiltrated PreCentral on a secret mission to drive down the stock price.
    Nope. Some are just obvious to those of us who aren't naive. You'd be wise to save your defense for someone worthy. Clack is not.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast