Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just upgraded to the Pre on 7/15. Had read the CES reviews, and I was due for an upgrade, so I decided to get the Pre. Supposedly the be-all and end-all of cell phones. Be-all, NO. End-all, ABSOLUTELY. This thing has been a problem from day one. The sales staff at the Sprint store told me that they had a line out the door for this thing when it came out. I am now thinking that the line was to RETURN it. No one at the store knew how to use it, and they still don't. They also messed up on my info transfer from my old phone, and, as a result, I missed an important voice-mail which may jeopardize both my health and the health of one of my dogs. The new voice mails do not show up on the screen, and I am unable to access my voice-mails with my access code, because the mailbox did not transfer. If I had not called to confirm a medical appointment last night, I would now be on an 8 hour drive to a doctor who does not have me booked in for an appointment. I was on the phone for most of the day yesterday with both Sprint and Pre support. The agents were very sweet, but they still do not really know how to make this thing work. As soon as my trouble ticket is resolved with Sprint, and I can retrieve those voice-mails, I am trading this cell from hell in for a BlackBerry. PLUS, I have always used Sprint as a provider, because we have no cell towers in my town. I had GREAT reception on my old Nextel phone. ZERO reception with the Pre. And not just at home, even in downtown suburbia, right next to a tower. One of the Sprint support tech's said that, since the Pre is brand new, I may have just gotten a "bad one." I could totally see this, as I used to be a computer engineer and I am completely unable to work this freakin' PHONE. Maybe I just got the one that was made by the devil himself, but I am not trying another one. BlackBerry Curve has all that I need. My new slogan for the Palm Pre... "Created in Hell by Satan and His Minions."
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    If I'm reading correctly:
    "They also messed up on my info transfer from my old phone...."
    - So the the employee, not the phone is to blame here.

"I had GREAT reception on my old Nextel phone. ZERO reception..."
    - Sounds like it may be a phone issue, these things happen, that's why there's a 30 day exchange period.

"I used to be a computer engineer and I am completely unable to work this freakin' PHONE"
    - Well, that sounds like a personal problem. The Pre is one of the most intuitive devices I have ever used, with extreme thought put into the UI. And I _am_ a computer engineer.

Nice flame, try again.
    "Created in Hell by Satan and His Minions."

such a well thought out quote...
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Wow, soooo, you didn't like the phone huh?
    What did the Doctor think you got from your dogs?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inrelief View Post
    If I'm reading correctly:
    "They also messed up on my info transfer from my old phone...."
    - So the the employee, not the phone is to blame here.

"I had GREAT reception on my old Nextel phone. ZERO reception..."
    - Sounds like it may be a phone issue, these things happen, that's why there's a 30 day exchange period.

"I used to be a computer engineer and I am completely unable to work this freakin' PHONE"
    - Well, that sounds like a personal problem. The Pre is one of the most intuitive devices I have ever used, with extreme thought put into the UI. And I _am_ a computer engineer.

Nice flame, try again.

Exactly.
    I'm curious how the voicemail issue is related to the phone, considering the vm account lives on sprint's network, not the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by marnie108 View Post
    Just upgraded to the Pre on 7/15. Had read the CES reviews, and I was due for an upgrade, so I decided to get the Pre. Supposedly the be-all and end-all of cell phones. Be-all, NO. End-all, ABSOLUTELY. This thing has been a problem from day one. The sales staff at the Sprint store told me that they had a line out the door for this thing when it came out. I am now thinking that the line was to RETURN it. No one at the store knew how to use it, and they still don't. They also messed up on my info transfer from my old phone, and, as a result, I missed an important voice-mail which may jeopardize both my health and the health of one of my dogs. The new voice mails do not show up on the screen, and I am unable to access my voice-mails with my access code, because the mailbox did not transfer. If I had not called to confirm a medical appointment last night, I would now be on an 8 hour drive to a doctor who does not have me booked in for an appointment. I was on the phone for most of the day yesterday with both Sprint and Pre support. The agents were very sweet, but they still do not really know how to make this thing work. As soon as my trouble ticket is resolved with Sprint, and I can retrieve those voice-mails, I am trading this cell from hell in for a BlackBerry. PLUS, I have always used Sprint as a provider, because we have no cell towers in my town. I had GREAT reception on my old Nextel phone. ZERO reception with the Pre. And not just at home, even in downtown suburbia, right next to a tower. One of the Sprint support tech's said that, since the Pre is brand new, I may have just gotten a "bad one." I could totally see this, as I used to be a computer engineer and I am completely unable to work this freakin' PHONE. Maybe I just got the one that was made by the devil himself, but I am not trying another one. BlackBerry Curve has all that I need. My new slogan for the Palm Pre... "Created in Hell by Satan and His Minions."
    tell us how you really feel
    This signature for rent
    Ugh. Well have fun with your curve...coming from one myself there is no way i'd go back. Not even in the same league. You got a bad one..get over it. you sound like an irrational drama queen.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I'm a Computer Engineer and have no problems operating my Pre.
  11.    #11  
    Was not flaming. Never flame. Bad manners. Just sharing my experience. And my experience was BAD. Wondering if anyone else had the same. Like I said, problem could be with Sprint, could be that I just had the bad luck to get the one Pre with a bug. I do not know. Never will, as I am exchanging it ASAP. I just need a PHONE, not the latest hip accessary. And what kind of computer engineer, exactly? MCSE, CCNA, software? Makes a big difference. As a fellow (ex) geek, I've got nothing better to do this evening than to refresh for a response. Never was big on the blogging. But I would like to know why you are so in love with this piece of plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlynch11 View Post
    I'm curious how the voicemail issue is related to the phone, considering the vm account lives on sprint's network, not the phone.
    The Pre uses the same voicemail server as the rest of the CDMA lineup, with the exception of the Instinct and the separated visual voicemail servers. If it was iDEN, that could also be where the issue lies since the voicemail servers are separated for iDEN devices as well I believe.

If you switched from an Instinct or an iDEN device, that is where the issue probably lies and I don't think that a network ticket will fix that. If it was any other CDMA phone you should be good to go, but from your mentioning of Nextel I'm assuming you switched over from iDEN, which the rep should have informed you about the potential saved voicemail loss with the switch.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Sounds like a made up troll post, from someone who is trying too hard, and needs to learn what a paragraph is, to me
  14.    #14  
    Thank you. Hope your experience was better than mine. That was my own quote, but, if I were in the mind to poach, it would be William Blake. "A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent."
  15.    #15  
    Cool functions, but I just do not have the time right now to deal with all the problems. Just need phone, email, texting, GPS, camera is an added plus. Do not need bells and whistles.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I am not an engineer and I working my Pre fine.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    If you switched from a Nextel phone to a Sprint one, it's not the phone, it's the service. Come on, this is common sense. When I switched from Nextel to Sprint phones, my service improved dramatically.
  18.    #18  
    how existential...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marnie108 View Post
    And what kind of computer engineer, exactly? MCSE, CCNA, software? Makes a big difference.
    I don't see why it would make a difference. Currently I'm more into software development, but I do have a background in the electrical aspect of things. (circuit board protection).
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Can someone please ban marnie108. His ignorance is making my brain hurt.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast