1.    #1  
    I just got off the line with customer service because my slider has been getting progressively worse. It's not terrible, but I hate looking at the gap on the left hand side of the phone and having the slider adjust itself so much. They told me Palm's warranty is for a year and they will replace the phone for no charge if I have a problem with my phone. Now, I have a hard time trusting CSR's (Isn't that awful? They are supposed to help!) so I don't know how true this is. Do they take down notes so that if I call back I won't get some toolbag who tells me that isn't possible? My 30 days is almost up and I don't want to get stuck with a phone I only half enjoy.

Bonus question: I have a noticeable scratch right down the center of my screen, although it doesn't seem too deep. Will using InvisibleShield or something cover it up and not make it noticeable?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    The InvisibleShield will not hide the scratch. At least it doesn't on mine.
    You have a scratch down the whole middle of your screen? Did you drop your pre? That kind of thing doesn't just generally appear outta nowhere. Not sure if InvisibleSheild will cover it up. There was a previous post someplace on here where someone suggested buffing a scratch out (cannot recall how, but a search might yeild that thread).

If you have a slider issues that bother you that much, go back to the store you purchased the device from and request an exchange. Even if they have to order it for you, and the order goes past your 30 days, they should honor it.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    If the scratches are minor, an IS can make them less or not noticeable. Depends on the scratch.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    They are correct, As of April 19th if I remember correctly, Sprint now handles manufactures warranty in corporate or repair centers for 1yr, at no charge.

Edited to add;
    How do I obtain warranty coverage for my device?

How do I obtain warranty coverage for my device?
    Sprint will cover the manufacturer warranty for mechanical or electrical failure for one year from the original activation date at a Sprint service location.
    http://support.sprint.com/doc/sp12554.xml?id16=warranty
    Last edited by Levi4u; 07/25/2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    As far as the scratch;
    Use Simichrome, a soft cloth, a little pressure and a bit of patience (watch TV so you don't get too bored), and you will smooth away those scratches on the plastic and the metal.

Also, for greater smoothness, to remove very light scratches AND to put on a protective coating, use MeGuiar's Plastic Cleaner/Polish.

You can look up both online. McGuire's is available at local auto supply stores. Simichrome should be as well, it's officially a chrome polish, but it's a very mild abrasive, excellent for smoothing out scratches.

For extreme scratches, start with a very fine sandpaper, almost a polishing grade, move to the Simchrome, then to the MeGuiar's.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    You have a scratch down the whole middle of your screen? Did you drop your pre? That kind of thing doesn't just generally appear outta nowhere. Not sure if InvisibleSheild will cover it up. There was a previous post someplace on here where someone suggested buffing a scratch out (cannot recall how, but a search might yeild that thread).

If you have a slider issues that bother you that much, go back to the store you purchased the device from and request an exchange. Even if they have to order it for you, and the order goes past your 30 days, they should honor it.
    I have absolutely no idea how it happened. I've not once dropped my Pre and I always put it in my pocket with nothing else in my pocket so I really don't understand. It's not a deep scratch, but it is noticeable on white background.

The thing about taking it back to the store is that every time I ask my friend who works at the store he says it's sold out and they can't get any. It's not a corporate Sprint store and I'm starting to think he just doesn't really want to help me in any way because I've already exchanged my first one I bought. It's pissing me off.
    If you're looking for a case I have the seidio innocase surface and I think it completes the Pre. Seems to alleviate some of the issues I was having with the slider. One of them being my lack of grip on the pre, causing more pressure to be applied. Right before I got the case I had the top left crease growing even bigger but now I don't even notice anything.
    As for the Zagg shield I dropped a lot of money on that thing only to realize that its darkish tint was a real bad idea and I think it probably affects the light sensor as well. Not sure if they have a more clear one.
    I suggest you return it and then buy it again, that will reset your 30 days. I wish I had done that with my wifes because now I'm bouncing from store to cs and starting to get upset. My store didn't have any and cs said they were backordered and weren't even allowed to order it for me, I finally tried a different store and they had some but couldn't do the exchange because I was beond 30 days and told me to call cs again! I am stuck with one simi-loose and one very-loose and have no choice but to keep bouncing back and forth till I can get atleast the one replaced ....
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    You're not going to be able to return that phone. Phones returned within the first 30 days must be returned in like new condition. The scratch puts the kibosh on that.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bockscar View Post
    I am stuck with one simi-loose and one very-loose and have no choice but to keep bouncing back and forth till I can get atleast the one replaced ....
    Look thru this forum, a teacher found out that you can fix this. He/she used a plastic tipped ball point pen and moved the little metal things holding the slider in place and now the slider works perfectly again. I think he had to remove the battery to get to this, but I am not sure, so look thru to find for sure. I found it, see below:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-no-tape.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlb View Post
    Look thru this forum, a teacher found out that you can fix this. He/she used a plastic tipped ball point pen and moved the little metal things holding the slider in place and now the slider works perfectly again. I think he had to remove the battery to get to this, but I am not sure, so look thru to find for sure. I found it, see below:

[url]
    I might try this on mine but my wifes that is the very loose one also keeps locking up and will reopen cards after closing them. It is possible the update fixed this but only time will tell because it only happened every few days and a restart would fix it.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    the phone does have a 1 year warranty, so unless it appears abused (broken screen, etc) they should have to fix it FOR FREE if some button is loose, slider bad, etc. The question is, is your slider problem something they will recognize as a problem?